Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Does any one have rumors ? on a decent M645 form Mamiya Phase One?  (Read 9476 times)

julienlanoo

So,
just in search if any one would know some thing is coming..

Because, today, working in studio, and after a Upgrade of the firware of my 645 DM, it has again  developed new quarks,
Not turning out a reliable body this 645 from mamiya, after 2 years of using it heavely i've never been realy happy with the body,
i am happy to revert back to my arca if i want reliability ..

Don't get me wrong the shneider lensens for the DM body are great!!!, the phase one back is wonderfull, only the bit inbetween the 645 thing from mamiya is not up to the job, ( not even close to the high standard we're used to from the back and the lenses..)

As the DM+ is not realy a new camera, but something thrown together just to say Hassy wasn't the only with a new body on Photokina..
I wonderd some one might know if phase one Mamiya would come out with some real evolution of the thing within a year or so ? ..

Why ooh why didn't they buy Contax ? instead of reverting to mamiya .. :p:p

Gandalf

Re: Does any one have rumors ? on a decent M645 form Mamiya Phase One?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 01:16:52 pm »

I think we all have to assume something is coming, and that it will work with current Phase backs and lenses, but anything beyond that is a guess. It is the usual deal that anyone who knows can't say and anyone who says doesn't know. My guess is that it will be announced late this year or early 2014 for late 2014/early 2015 delivery and it will coincide with a working USB3 port. The DF+ is a nice improvement over the DF -- moreso than the specs would suggest, but not sure it is worth the price.

Nick-T

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 01:45:08 pm »

Knowing the huge amount of time and money that Hasselblad spent to create the H system I would be very surprised if Phase One coould justify a completely new body, I suspect a continued evolution of what they have would be the only financially viable option.

All IMO obviously.

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

stevebri

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 02:07:15 pm »

Good point Nick, remember Phase One developed the H system with Hasselblad, I don't mind evolution, look at the VW Golf.....

I like access to older mamiya lenses (50mm shift, 80mm 1.9) Hasselblad's H system means when you buy in relatively cheaply 2nd hand, lenses cost 4 figures, new or 2nd hand. Mamiya gives you access to LS lenses (4figures)  as well as lenses costing less than £100 and although stop down, still perform stunningly (if you buy the right ones... :o

I thought my DF was awful....it was reliable but the autofocus sucked, but it was me, I'd set it up wrong, with he'll
 From my a dealer and a firmware upgrade it's like night and day.

Having hAd both systems I still say we are blessed to ave two evenly matched medium or at systems that with some tweaking allow us one thing in particular....

To get out there and do our jobs and take amazing, inspiring and technically excellent images.....

Nothing more, nothing less...

I'll make this statement... If you put he same amount of energy wishing, hoping and waiting for a better camera or better software that does this or that, into going out there and using what you have and taking better pictures, refining your style and just getting 'better' who cares about the latest gizmo.....?

S

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 02:47:34 pm »

Knowing the huge amount of time and money that Hasselblad spent to create the H system I would be very surprised if Phase One coould justify a completely new body, I suspect a continued evolution of what they have would be the only financially viable option.

Nick, your theory runs contrary to the public statements of the CEO of Phase One who has indicated they are actively developing a brand new body (which, as you note, takes considerable time and money). Having recently purchased both Mamiya and Leaf, and having had great sales of the IQ Phase One is clearly in a good financial position to be making such large and long investments.

I think one need only look at the IQ for a demonstration of what Phase One can create given appropriate development time and cost.

Also, if you haven't played with a DF+, while definitely an evolution from the DF (definitely not a new body) it does represent the pinnacle of that evolutionary line. The autofocus is fast and accurate and rarely, if ever, hunts and there were significant reworking and upgrades to the mechanical parts. All that said, the DF with current firmware (and assuming you're using good quality batteries) should not have any quirks and should be reliable; Julien, have you worked with your dealer to narrow down possible causes?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 02:51:14 pm by Doug Peterson »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 02:53:14 pm »

Hi,

Just a personal reflection: Nice to hear Phase has resources, ambition and knowledge to develop a new system.

I have not seen the IQ180 in person but I'm quite impressed by it's capabilities what I have seen. Being a software engineer (sort of) I realize the amount of work and knowledge such software requires.

Best regards
Erik

Nick, your theory runs contrary to the public statements of the CEO of Phase One who has indicated they are actively developing a brand new body (which, as you note takes considerable time and money). Having recently purchased both Mamiya and Leaf, and having had great sales of the IQ Phase One is clearly in a good financial position to be making such large and long investments.

I think one need only look at the IQ for a demonstration of what Phase One can create given appropriate development time and cost.
Erik Kaffehr

Nick-T

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 03:13:21 pm »

Good point Nick, remember Phase One developed the H system with Hasselblad,

Steve I don't think this is correct. My understanding is that there was some consultation with Phase One around the electronic interface (between body and back) but that Phase one certainly weren't involved in the H system design.

Nick-T

Doug Peterson

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 03:31:33 pm »

Steve I don't think this is correct. My understanding is that there was some consultation with Phase One around the electronic interface (between body and back) but that Phase one certainly weren't involved in the H system design.

I'll vouch for that. The participation was in developing, implementing, and testing the electronic communication - a vital component of the system to be sure, but just one component of the overall system. The overall system was not (to my understanding) part of the scope of that participation.

Nick-T

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2013, 03:37:38 pm »

Nick, your theory runs contrary to the public statements of the CEO of Phase One

Hi Doug
Thanks for that.
From the article linked:

"The news comes as Håkonsson revealed that Phase One was actively working on a new design for its DF camera system"

I hope that means a completely new Camera system (like the much missed and awesome Hy6), but I still suspect that the prohibitive costs of developing something completely new will mean more of an evolution of the existing camera.

I'd love to be proved wrong.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 03:45:36 pm »

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the link. I note it was from september 2010. We have seen the IQ180 an impressive back. Any news on the new camera?

Best regards
Erik
Hi Doug
Thanks for that.
From the article linked:

"The news comes as Håkonsson revealed that Phase One was actively working on a new design for its DF camera system"

I hope that means a completely new Camera system (like the much missed and awesome Hy6), but I still suspect that the prohibitive costs of developing something completely new will mean more of an evolution of the existing camera.

Erik Kaffehr

Kolor-Pikker

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 04:18:30 pm »

I wonder, besides just speculations on what the new camera might be, what features would you want to see in a new Phase camera?

Wish list anyone?

Nick-T

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 04:24:25 pm »

What about a Nikon D800 with an IQ180 bolted to the back of it...

(Sorry)

Doug Peterson

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 05:02:48 pm »

I'm sure you meant an IQ180

Sorry Erik, other than what the CEO chooses to say publicly I'm not in a position to speak to future products or timelines thereof.

I don't think I'd be stepping out of bounds to say though that developing the IQ took many years, and developing a brand new camera system is at least as complicated.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 05:04:03 pm »

What about a Nikon D800 with an IQ180 bolted to the back of it...

I'm sure you meant an IQ180 with a Fuji 680 shrunk down with the Honey I Shrunk the Kids bolted on the front of it.

julienlanoo

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 07:00:44 pm »

Aah, the Hy6,
what ever happend to that beauty ?..

Since Sinar and Leaf dropped it, ( why did they drop such a beautifull thing? ), i haven't seen one around..
That one was so promissing :) But no dealers i can find in France :( so service could be misery when things have to go fast..

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 08:46:02 pm »

Aah, the Hy6,
what ever happend to that beauty ?..

Since Sinar and Leaf dropped it, ( why did they drop such a beautifull thing? ), i haven't seen one around..
That one was so promissing :) But no dealers i can find in France :( so service could be misery when things have to go fast..

Ah Julien - have heart! Leaf offers 4 digital backs for the Hy6 platform:

*Credo 80
*Credo 60
*AFi-II 10R (currently on promo for $17,990)
*AFi-II 12R(currently on promo for $23,990)

We've had Leaf digital back sales for the Hy6 platform for 4 consecutive months (since the announcement of the AFi Mod 2).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

HarperPhotos

• http://www.harperphoto.com
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 09:05:23 pm »

Hello,

The Rolleiflex Hy6 is an impressive camera and yes I had the opportunity to try one some years ago.

The major problem I see as a working photographer is compared to the Hasselblad and Mamya is the lack of wide angle lenses under 50mm.

Ciao

Simon
Simon Harper
Harper Photographics Ltd
http://www.harperphoto.com
http://www.facebook.com/harper.photographics

Auckland, New Zealand

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 12:09:54 am »

Hi,

The Hy6 is still around: http://www.dhw-fototechnik.de/

There are some posters on the forum who own it and love it!

Best regards
Erik

Hi Doug
Thanks for that.
From the article linked:

Erik Kaffehr

julienlanoo

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 02:53:51 am »

Yeah,
i understand  your concern on wide angels,
BUT!!!,
When the H series of hassy came out there were no wide angels to .. !
When the S from Leica came out no wide angels to,

and even the Mamiphase DM, only recently introduced high quality Wide-angles from shneider, ..
( actually i have the 28 from Mamiya, it's my only not "shneiderlens" as it wasn't out yet, and you see the difference :):p , in both build quality and image quality .. -

I think if th Hy6 would have got a chance to realy developpe as the other did, backed up by a DB maker, it would have had realy large angle lenses...

julienlanoo

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 02:54:22 am »

By the way, has this become a realy hated hijack ..?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up