Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad Live View?  (Read 8310 times)

ibear88

iPad Live View?
« on: January 27, 2013, 11:06:30 pm »

Hi, searched but just could not find a simple answer to this question.

Is there a digital back live view for the iPad?

If so, is it crazy slow?

Thanks, Jeff

ps. I'm trying to transition from 4x5 to digital and the thought of taking my powerbook into the field sounds cumbersome while taking an iPad sounds ok, to me.

jeanvalentin

Re: iPad Live View?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 03:29:19 pm »

Is there a digital back live view for the iPad?
ps. I'm trying to transition from 4x5 to digital and the thought of taking my powerbook into the field sounds cumbersome while taking an iPad sounds ok, to me.

The simple answer yes, there is live view for the iPad: Capture Pilot. The problem is with your requirement: no laptop. Currently, you need to shoot tethered in order to transfer the images to iPad.

There is a company that has something for Canon and Nikon. I would contact them and see if they have any plans for DB: http://www.camranger.com/
Best,
Valentin

tho_mas

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 04:13:00 pm »

If lightweight is required for tethered shooting in the field an 11'' Mac Book Air is great! Almost the same size and weight as an iPad.
Battery life of the MBAir is somewhat limited, of course ...

ibear88

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 04:22:30 pm »

Tho_mas,
The macbook air is an attractive suggestion.

Have you tried using one in live view?

I wonder if the iPad is too short on memory and speed for live view. Otherwise, it would seem like developers and users would love it.

Jeff

jeanvalentin

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 04:27:22 pm »

I wonder if the iPad is too short on memory and speed for live view. Otherwise, it would seem like developers and users would love it.

Jeff

There is no processing done on the iPad. Obviously, it will show faster on the tethered laptop vs a wireless communication.
Best,
Valentin

tho_mas

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 04:49:01 pm »

Tho_mas,
The macbook air is an attractive suggestion.
Have you tried using one in live view?
I do use a P45 and a P21+. The "Live View" on these backs is a joke. Simply unusable (at least for me).
I shoot, control the capture on screen, adjust something (if required) and take a second shot. This is also much faster than fiddling around with the so called "live view" on these old-school digibacks.
Often I shoot on CF card and when I think I have done the shot, I load the captures to the computer and check them before I pack in my equipment.
Mostly I don't use the computer at all... only in case of doubt. But the small MBAir is so light that I carry the laptop now more often than before ...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 04:51:14 pm by tho_mas »

ibear88

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 05:15:20 pm »

Is the problem with live view and a P21 or P45 one of latency between making a camera adjustment and updating the screen?

tho_mas

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 05:36:12 pm »

Is the problem with live view and a P21 or P45 one of latency between making a camera adjustment and updating the screen?
it's a completely awkward process. Honstly... it's 3 yeras ago or so that I have used "live preview" so I don't remember all the details.
Here's a review of Michael also covering the live preview feature on a P45+ (scroll down a bit). It refers to the old Capture One SOftware but the actual procedure is still the same: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/p45plus.shtml

ibear88

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 06:13:36 pm »

Tho_mas, thanks that was a very interesting article.

Basically, I understood it to say that latency is not so much the issue with live view as are operating inelegance, heat and battery issues. Better to use traditional tethering (capture, adjust, capture ...).

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 12:40:44 am »

Back when,my first DB was a Leaf 17MP wifi which had no viewing screen at all, but rather, could synch to an HP PAD, long rendered obsolete by smart phones.  The concept of field use remote viewing is still viable and I can't figure out why they discontinued it after 2 wifi models (17 and 22). With the availability of face-time on the iPad, it seems an easy enough adaptation, and still on my wish list as I don't care to be tethered in the field.
Pages: [1]   Go Up