Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print dialogue problem?  (Read 2952 times)

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
Print dialogue problem?
« on: January 26, 2013, 11:11:48 am »

CS6, using an Epson 3880. When I hit "Print" in the Epson dialogue the printer dialogue window fails to show up, my print reverts back to bridge and the printer fails to print. This just began happening today.  I re-installed the Epson software and drivers but the problems persist Any clues?
Thanks for all replies.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 01:09:00 pm by JohnBrew »

hugowolf

Re: Print dialogue problem?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 02:22:37 pm »

CS6, using an Epson 3880. When I hit "Print" in the Epson dialogue the printer dialogue window fails to show up, my print reverts back to bridge and the printer fails to print. This just began happening today.  I re-installed the Epson software and drivers but the problems persist Any clues?
Thanks for all replies.
You have tried rebooting?

The next thing would be to uninstall and reinstall CS6.

Brian A

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 04:11:58 pm »

When I hit "Print" in the Epson dialogue the printer dialogue window fails to show up, my print reverts back to bridge and the printer fails to print.

What do you mean "my print reverts back to bridge"? Do you mean Photoshop quits? Have you tried tossing the Photoshop preferences ?(troubleshooting 101)

JohnBrew

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 09:25:18 pm »

Jeff, what I mean is that after hitting "Print" bridge shows up with my print highlighted as if I hadn't double-clicked it to bring it up. I know, totally weird. I have a friend coming over tomorrow with his laptop which has LR 4 installed and we are going to try and print from it to see if the problem might be with the printer. I've had strange behavior going on for two weeks now but the end result is I cannot print ANY print sizes on my printer. I have un-installed re-installed numerous times to no avail. I called Epson before Xmas vacation and after following their instructions was able to print using the rear feed. When I returned from being a week away the printer resumed its previous behavior. I performed all the Epson advised changes but it continued to be non-responsive. I've even bought a new computer (the old one was three years old) in hopes there was a problem there, but I continue to get the same response. I'm about ready to order a Canon. This is getting ridiculous.
No, I haven't tried tossing the PS preferences. Never heard of doing that.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:51:30 pm by JohnBrew »

JohnBrew

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 01:57:45 pm »

After spending the entire morning with my friend and his LR4 laptop, neither his LR4 nor my CS6 will print "user designated" sized papers. He was able to print the programmed (17 x 22) size, however, which I am still unable to do and the same weird behavior continues.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 02:12:49 pm »

While not a direct answer to the issue, I suggest you look into a program named Qimage, made by ddisoftware.com This is a fabulous application that does a lot and printing and quickly permitting you to specify image size and location are among the things it does best. 

Give qimage a try, if only to see if the problem continues. If it does, then most likely the problem is due to the print driver or the printer.

JohnBrew

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 03:08:23 pm »

Thanks, Justan. I'll give it a try.

Later: I tried it, but it seems to be limited in the print size it will handle. I need unlimited print sizes.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:32:40 pm by JohnBrew »

elolaugesen

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 03:46:27 pm »

You never mentioned what machines or OS you use.  Ie PC. Mac. Etc...

Cheers elo

JohnBrew

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 03:56:48 pm »

PC, Win 7 64. I am beginning to come to grips with the problem. I found I had plugged the printer into a USB3 port. I was of the impression this shouldn't make a difference, however after plugging into a USB2 I can now print 17 x 22. When trying to print with the "user designated" size, in this case 17 x 28, the printing head fails to travel the correct length across the carriage. Does anyone have an idea why this is?

hugowolf

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 04:32:46 pm »

PC, Win 7 64. I am beginning to come to grips with the problem. I found I had plugged the printer into a USB3 port. I was of the impression this shouldn't make a difference, however after plugging into a USB2 I can now print 17 x 22. When trying to print with the "user designated" size, in this case 17 x 28, the printing head fails to travel the correct length across the carriage. Does anyone have an idea why this is?
I have a 3880 with Win 7 64 and Photoshop CS6, but Ethernet. I do not have 'user designated' but I do have custom sizes, and I have never had a problem printing to 17 x 37.4, the maximum it will do without a RIP. Where are you setting the 'user designated' size?

Brian A

JohnBrew

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 05:00:07 pm »

Brian, I suppose I could try the Ethernet port which is presently occupied with my DSL connection. I, too, have printed the maximum length in the past with no problems. As I stated earlier I am trying to print a 17 x 28.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 06:26:24 pm »

Thanks, Justan. I'll give it a try.

Later: I tried it, but it seems to be limited in the print size it will handle. I need unlimited print sizes.

It is not limited. You may need to specify the size(s) you want to use. I use it for everything from 1"x 3" cards to 24" x 84" panos.

JohnBrew

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 01:04:05 pm »

hugowolf, congratulations! you win the Tonto Badge! Ethernet cable solved the problem. Go figure.
And many thanks to all those who suggested remedies. Thanks for giving it a shot.

hugowolf

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 10:10:26 pm »

hugowolf, congratulations! you win the Tonto Badge! Ethernet cable solved the problem. Go figure.
And many thanks to all those who suggested remedies. Thanks for giving it a shot.
I wasn't actually suggesting Ethernet as a solution, but if it works, it works. Perhaps you had it configured for networking via DHCP or a static address?

Brian A

irvweiner

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 11:56:00 pm »

John, I suggest you continue to evaluate Qimage, it is an excellent 'print' prgm. It will print to any size up to 17x37.7. Forgot the min size limit, it will also 'auto' place several images on a given sheet size--very handy!

irv weiner
Pages: [1]   Go Up