Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 ESP Color Sensor Replacement  (Read 9458 times)

jsiva

Re: Z3100 ESP Color Sensor Replacement
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 11:08:57 pm »

I think the Z spectrometer has a hard time with canvas, nothing more.

Jim

That is very possible.  I recently purchased Image Print 9 for my Epson 3880 and it is quickly becoming a secondary check for how good the APS profiles are. In some cases, I prefer the APS profiles to IP.  Last night I got some Lyve Canvas, and tried a few presets and eventually settled on the "generic canvas" setting, and it looks beautiful.  I normally try 2-3 different presets and one of them is clearly better.  The Z3100, when things go well is stellar.  problem is that it has been a love/hate relationship.  Add the HP support and apple doing all kinds of funky things with permissions etc., the experience is not what I'd expected.

One other thing that I find quite troubling is the soft-profing in CS6.  It is not in any way reliable.  The normal gamut warnings are far too conservative.  Not sure if others are seeing this as well.

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 06:05:23 am »

Hi again,

I'll try making another profile using the generic canvas preset before I start working with the second print I need to do and see if it comes any closer. Thanks for the tip. I have to wait a few days until a new 17" roll of Lyve shows up to play on.

As far as soft proofing goes, I gave up on that years ago. Every new version of Photoshop that comes out gets a few tries to see if it's any more useful than the previous version, and it never is. Saturation has always been too conservative. It will give you an idea of where to look for issues on a test print, but that's about it. I never make changes to my master file based on soft proofing.

Cheers!
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

jsiva

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 12:22:12 pm »

Hi again,

I'll try making another profile using the generic canvas preset before I start working with the second print I need to do and see if it comes any closer. Thanks for the tip. I have to wait a few days until a new 17" roll of Lyve shows up to play on.

Cheers!

If you like, you can mail me a file and profile and I'll be happy print and return to you.  I can also send you the .oms and profile on mine for Lyve Matte and see how that works for you.  I'm heading to Sweden today and will be back Friday.

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 12:06:05 pm »

If you like, you can mail me a file and profile and I'll be happy print and return to you.  I can also send you the .oms and profile on mine for Lyve Matte and see how that works for you.  I'm heading to Sweden today and will be back Friday.

PM sent.
Jim Cole

tonywong

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 10:44:35 pm »

Mine fails the diagnostic as well but it can profile well enough for me to not try to see if I can 'fix' it.

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 11:06:29 pm »

Good to know, Tony, thanks. I ran mine again and it failed again. Not sure what the deal is with that test.
Jim Cole

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 12:18:37 am »

It would appear that the acronym was intended to stand for Extra Sensor Purchases.
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 07:43:04 am »

Good one, Ron.
Jim Cole

William Chitham

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 07:51:34 am »

I have never yet heard of a z3100 passing the ESP diagnostic test, I have a theory that it might be be a result of firmware updates.

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2013, 11:18:39 am »

First rule of firmware updates:

Don't fix anything without breaking something else.
Jim Cole
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up