Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: serendipitous  (Read 1837 times)

amolitor

serendipitous
« on: January 25, 2013, 04:59:14 pm »

This was a grab shot taken for documentary reasons during the snowfall today, but a number of elements seem to me to have fortuitously fallen in to place.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Re: serendipitous
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 11:47:40 am »

I think it could be less gray.

Bruce

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 01:53:44 pm »

It could be less gray, but I think it loses a lot of its punch when it's less gray. The whole point is the grayness of this miserable day. I remember plenty of days like this growing up in a suburb of Detroit, and they always looked like the more gray version. Makes me happy I'm in Florida for the winter.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

WalterEG

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 02:02:52 pm »

Is it about the medium or the message?  The punchier version may be a better image in some regards from a technical viewpoint, but the story and the sense of being there is lost.  I have never lived in a city where it snows (never been in a city where it snows when it was snowing, either) and so I can only surmise that it is probably pretty enveloping as displayed in the original presentation.

Oh, and let me add, I really do like the shot quite a lot.

Cheers,

W

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 04:11:12 pm »

If it's what you don't see that counts...

Bruce

amolitor

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 04:27:32 pm »

There's actually a little set of these I shot the other day which happened to respond well to a "Stieglizt New York" feeling. The falling snow reduces actual contrast in the scenes dramatically. If you push the contrast out to the traditional b&w range, you get - to my eye - a rather weird looking result. Also the images are quite soft, which doesn't play well with the high contrast renditions either.

I tried to maintain the 'early evening, falling snow' feeling in my handling of tones, and it's more successful, I think, in the other ones.

This one, I posted here because I felt there were enough interesting and ambiguous elements positioned in the frame to make it worth looking at apart from being a documentary scene. The fellow approaching is a local character who always dresses in a very early 20th century european style. It's perhaps not obvious, but I hope there's a little sense of 'what's with that guy?' preserved here. Also, what's with the sidewalk? I don't know even now why some parts were snow covered and others were not.

Thanks for the comments, all! As always, I appreciate them all, and ponder them with at least some care!

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 04:52:12 pm »

Like the feeling of this...not sure what the initial documentary shot was to be about...but glad you were out to "grab" it. I am drawn to the gentleman in the bowler...did you follow with a few more "grabs" as he aproached? Kinda hope so... and actually it is probably most likely NOT a bowler but just a common hat...but just goes to show that the mood you captured took me to old New York or earlier days in europe...
A common woman~

amolitor

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 07:27:02 pm »

It is, in fact, a bowler and a greatcoat that the gentleman is wearing.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 07:33:24 pm »

Andrew,

Your original is the one that works best for me, by far, for reasons others have mentioned. The man's body language somehow also just fits the antique attire, adding to the mood. It's a keeper!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up