Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H3D 30mp V Nikon D800E  (Read 33965 times)

bcooter

Re: Hasselblad H3D 30mp V Nikon D800E
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2013, 04:42:03 am »

James,

I think we both want to see novel equipment. For us to use, for the young crowd to astonish us with and push us.
 In a way, I guess we thought the 5D2 etc would do it, but it's just seems to have led to more TV serials being shot with dSLRs.
 And 80MP MF hans't seemed to improve web images one iota :)
 I'm sure we're going to get something new, in a few dog-years.
 There is no reason to think that new formats will be linked to print; it's an electronic world out there now.
 And we shouldn't forget that for most of us, digital itself was a revolution that came late in our life.

Edmund

Hey Edmund,

I started digital probably in the middle of my career and am not ancient  . . . yet.

Actually I adopted digital early and it double our studios billing for multiple years and allowed us to produce what I think was the best commercial work we'd ever did.  Mostly because we could get the base ides in "the can" and get on to other alternatives.

Also it allowed us new revenue streams and closer client contact, which always brings more and more interesting business.

Now that everyone that's 15 years old (yes they all look 15 years old to me, has a Canon 5 something, or a Nikon D whatever, some of the medium priced projects have taken a hit in billing, creativity and production values, (at least in my opinion).

We've moved on and shoot as much digital motion as we do stills and though my heart will always be with still photography motion opened up new streams of revenue.

Actually the downside of digital stills is the group think with multiple monitors and Ipads all glowing away, with a hundred opinions in the room.  I don't mind most of it and actually find some of it inspiring, though it does break the flow of how we shoot.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand.

I'd love to see a brand new type of camera.  Something like an Ipad with interchangeable lenses, 20 something megapixels,  handles, track pad touch focusing and automatic manipulation software like snapseed that allows you to build in a look as you go.

Even if we had that, I'd still use some of my legacy cameras.  If my Nikons and Canons disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't shed a tear as to me they have the same dna as an I-phone 5, but if I lost my contax, my mfd backs, my Leica that would be sad as I have an attachment to those cameras.

I'll admit I'm damn bored with the d800 talk on this forum.  For someone like Simon I'm good, cause he works day in day out and his word means something to me.

For some of the other people that post here I can respect their knowledge but rarely if ever see any decent photography that moves me towards the Nikon.

In fact i'm so bored with hearing about the d800 I'd probably wouldn't buy one if it sold for 12 bucks.

I just think a lot of this  trolling with an agenda and that shit gets old, but hey that's just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt as I'm on a mission to enlighten.  (that last line was a joke, sort of.)

That doesn't mean I'm mired in old think, but that also doesn't mean I can't use what I enjoy because it's my choice and I can learn and respect what people post but at the end of the day, I've always found if I do things that are good for me, it all works out.

Which leads me to my final thought on this.  Why do so few people that produce such a huge volume of these damn Nikon threads  have such a h**d on for medium format?  

It's almost like they wish these companies would disappear and that's just such strange ass small mindset I can't figure it out.

In the last 5 to 7  years I've seen the world's best effects houses, labs, editorial companies, print makers, magazines, camera companies, just dry up and disappear, displacing thousands of hugely talented people that dedicated their lives to perfection, because so many self proclaimed, one hand clapping artists believe that flicker, instigram, facebook and youtube are really respected media.

That's what I mean by dumbing down of the process and personally I don't want to see any professional segment of my industry disappear, never want to see an excellent artist or technicians or reps displaced from their chosen profession.

I don't want to see models turn into cg, architecture made from templates, car photography spit out by a wireframe and computer tech.

Do many of these traditional companies I mentioned need to change?   Yes.  

Disappear, no.

But if they do, I can promise you we're all going to be the worse for it.

IMO

BC

P.S.

Everyone hates car to camera comparisons, but I just bought a new, modern, computer controlled, 300 hp sports sedan.

It's perfect, does everything well, does way too much for me and honestly is the most dangerous car I've ever driven.  I can't tell when the rear end is breaking loose, to turn on the radio requires you to look at a screen and scroll and all the computer controls makes you feel like Fernando Alonso until your in over your head.

Consequently I have an EVO 8 which is like a go kart with a roof and everything is manual, but if you don't actually drive it and keep 90% attention to what your doing your doomed. 

The EVO is a much more rewarding car to drive.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 05:10:37 am by bcooter »

FredBGG

« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2013, 05:09:30 am »

Why do so few people that produce such a huge volume of these damn Nikon threads  have such a h**d on for medium format? 

Maybe because they get a h**d on for something that is alive, has a heart beat, is of the same species and consensual.

FredBGG

« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2013, 05:12:26 am »

If my Nikons and Canons disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't shed a tear as to me they have the same dna as an I-phone 5

Now I know where I saw you... you're the guy trying to make a long distance phone call with a 1DS and a 400mm lens.....

......just kidding.

JV

« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2013, 08:08:29 am »

Maybe because they get a h**d on for something that is alive, has a heart beat, is of the same species and consensual.

A positive choice for one alternative still does not explain the negativity towards other alternatives.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2013, 10:37:55 am »

Hey Edmund,

I started digital probably in the middle of my career and am not ancient  . . . yet.

Well then, I think I can promise you MF quality with a screen the size of an iPad within 15 years - in other words as a geezer you'll get a digital view camera with a digital ground glass :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2013, 02:43:03 pm »

Hi,

There is an advantage to size. The Nokia phone with 41 MP delivers very good images, it seems, but the extreme resolution comes in part from the tiny size. It would not be feasible to build a lens like that in large size. The tiny size means that noise characteristics and DR cannot match larger formats.

On the other hand, it seems that smaller formats make inroads into larger format territory. Fujinon APS-C and Micro 4/3 are serious competition to DSLR-s of yore and also full frames. I think they are often used when weight and size matters.

Best regards
Erik

Well then, I think I can promise you MF quality with a screen the size of an iPad within 15 years - in other words as a geezer you'll get a digital view camera with a digital ground glass :)

Edmund
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up