Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Triumph  (Read 3558 times)

Rob C

Triumph
« on: January 24, 2013, 12:15:18 pm »

The ultimate victory of style over substance.

And don't think this irrelevant, either...

http://youtu.be/b2nybY647F0

Rob C

Rocco Penny

Re: Triumph
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 08:49:10 am »

Hey Rob,
  Not sure what you mean- you were there and remember the alternatives,
are you saying James Brown has no legacy of greatness?
Just as a showman the guy has merit, his addled brain won't let him be less than that.
You're saying please please please ow ow ow isn't a valid sentiment?
I think you can agree that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Febr_t_qa9U
Luciano Pavarotti isn't a hack
I believe there wouldn't be American music as we know it now without JB-
johnny ace and the platters were doing much sweeter things,
tina turner hadn't made it to the scene and there weren't a plethora of widely available artists to succor young American's desire for ever widening musical offerings-
people wanted a jumping screaming half unhinged lunatic writhing away on stage and mis interpreting what was in their own hearts but in a way that found expression in the tenor of the times-
heck we for the first time as a nation really embraced a black pop star-
closest thing before that was Paul Robeson you know, OLD MAN RIVERRRR etc.
Kids wanted to and still want to jump-
cook man- fly
dap
sooo
if you're saying JB is a pretty good universalization of the Rock/pop/rythym&blues genre, yeah hes pretty good
BUT if you're saying hes a piker, welll I think you should load another youtube of something you like and think worthy so I can watch that too.
please please pleasre please  
this is the type of thing I really like just now
call it americana over here this woman is 20 or 21 going to the university for music somewhere in NY and sings hillbilly for spare change I guess- pretty voice anyway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4EKsa7ziNs
wish we had more lowbrow gypsy stuff like in Spain and beyond
good day Sir
C
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 08:54:53 am by Rocco Penny »

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 11:38:33 am »

Hi Rocco

Your Sarah Jones is okay, pleasant to listen to and not unlike any number of Cajun people doing their version of the blues thing around the airwaves.

I have nothing against black music; on the contrary: my greatest influences and musical joys came along in the 50s when I was at school and discovered New Orleans and Chicago jazz. The next big thing was Chuck Berry, but living in the UK at the time, I have to admit that the doors to R’n’R there were opened first by Bill Haley and Elvis. We had a plethora of junk white R’n’R bands too, but nothing matched the real deal.

My problem with Pleeeeeeaaase etc. is that I just don’t think it’s any good. Lots of noise, screams, but take away the franic antic of the guy and not much is left that wasn’t done far better even by Tamla Motown groups further into the commercial world. Stax, Sun, Chess – lots of labels did great stuff. So don’t confuse disappointment with one cat as significant of a general dislike of the breed; it’s not.

Rob C

Rocco Penny

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 12:23:15 pm »

I have some 78 RPM original label recordings I sometimes play...
Henri Mancini and Ennio Morricone (from the spaghetti western films)
are two composers I like now-
Yeah Sarah Jarosz from the recording I linked to has a certain quality not entirely unlike Sandy Denny or many othe folkies from your stomping grounds-
with a twist-
she's just a kid and she is not just classically training, but running around with many top shelf musicians-
just check her out if you have time to waste-
pretty voice is all
not much on the mandolin etc but runs around with tim obrien and some DOG music people
hmm dog music
is connected to Grateful Dead headed by the likes of David Grisman who worked with Stephan Grapelli(Django Reinhardt's fiddle guy in the Hot Club of Paris)
so yeah there is good and there is great
James Brown no matter the crummy sound will always be great to me
but give me a pretty young and warbling girl anyday
you could make Ms Jarosz look like a star...launch her mainstream and charge royalties on the image...
OK just being as droll as I can (so dull sometimes)
I've moved into the studio space I promised I was gonna finally make work for me and love being in more than the 450 square feet I live in...
OK have a wonderful day and is the food holding up at the cafe w/ the Mom cooking?

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 01:18:45 pm »

I have some 78 RPM original label recordings I sometimes play...
Henri Mancini and Ennio Morricone (from the spaghetti western films)
are two composers I like now-
Yeah Sarah Jarosz from the recording I linked to has a certain quality not entirely unlike Sandy Denny or many othe folkies from your stomping grounds-
with a twist-
she's just a kid and she is not just classically training, but running around with many top shelf musicians-
just check her out if you have time to waste-
pretty voice is all
not much on the mandolin etc but runs around with tim obrien and some DOG music people
hmm dog music
is connected to Grateful Dead headed by the likes of David Grisman who worked with Stephan Grapelli(Django Reinhardt's fiddle guy in the Hot Club of Paris)
so yeah there is good and there is great
James Brown no matter the crummy sound will always be great to me
but give me a pretty young and warbling girl anyday
you could make Ms Jarosz look like a star...launch her mainstream and charge royalties on the image...
OK just being as droll as I can (so dull sometimes)
I've moved into the studio space I promised I was gonna finally make work for me and love being in more than the 450 square feet I live in...
OK have a wonderful day and is the food holding up at the cafe w/ the Mom cooking?

"Mom's Cooking"

Hey, they charge 50% extra on Sundays - I don't go except Mondays thru Fridays and they close Saturdays.

Small selection of what I like I am trying to send you via PM.

Rob C

http://youtu.be/y7eeb1MTkUY

http://youtu.be/Hv3wgVSxQRI
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 01:46:21 pm by Rob C »

Rocco Penny

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 02:43:26 pm »

hah yeah- almost makes a guy think of riverboat gamblers and cheep whisky
I seen branford and wynton both- what a musical family you know these guys have really influenced my part of the world way more than that three chord journeyman...
but to the San Francisco scene some other time
I always thought clapton and all the other big names charge too much so haven't seen that kind of A list act in a while-
saw bowie and townsend each with only a guitar and 20,000 fans-
willie nelson knows how to throw down and get an audience damn near weeping again solo in front of 20,000
for just balance and downright good sound live though,
and you may not think I'm in my right head saying it,
but 1979 oakland Colosseum a little band called UFO was doing their set-
man what a moment of audience and artist euphoria,
then for a small show I'd say the sound inside the Maritime Hall in San Francisco nearly 20 years after they had their big charting album here,
The Black Crowes were live probably the biggest rock stars that had not so huge but a very devoted fan base-
mostly nostalgic types I guess-
But for real balance and purity of musical will give me a solo female just rapping one out accompanying herself with whatever instrument and I'm ready for more-
shoot I have a regular collection of musicals on dvd and videotape won't surprise you to know I'm a Streisand fan...
the people that are in the clique of the guys playing on the first vid you linked are the kind of guys that buy land around where I live here in my hometown-
rich types that want to live like the rest of us...

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 10:01:02 am »

willie nelson knows how to throw down and get an audience damn near weeping again solo in front of 20,000

You want weeping? Try this, even four years after the loss of a wife, no audience required:

http://youtu.be/IQ0qpJtENMI

It's all about the blues, black or white editions. Excuse me whilst I go into the kitchen and grab some kitchen-roll...

Rob C

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 11:25:19 am »

You want weeping? Try this, even four years after the loss of a wife, no audience required:

Sorry, Rob. You lost me. Those three can't even stay in tune.  Ray Charles could teach them a thing or two about that song.

If you want style AND substance, try this.  Renders me speechless every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXojGem9dKA

Rocco Penny

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 11:51:53 am »

It's all about the blues, black or white editions. Excuse me whilst I go into the kitchen and grab some kitchen-roll...

Rob C

yeppers- martina is one of my exes faves-I listen to words too...
well Rob in keeping with my insistence there can be true talent with questionable material,
check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LuGzwNy2ws

Rocco Penny

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 12:09:51 pm »

Sorry, Rob. You lost me. Those three can't even stay in tune.  Ray Charles could teach them a thing or two about that song.

If you want style AND substance, try this.  Renders me speechless every time.

I guess I used to like k.d. when she did those fresh pop tunes in the 80's eventually petering out to join the dinner music set...
I like jeff buckleys version best but there are many american idol type versions out there to watch... 
yes I guess that song should be included as one of the greatest ever written.
I know there is so much music out there and so little time I've taken to streaming youtube playlists...
dang there are soooo many songs...

Peter McLennan

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 12:42:09 pm »

I guess that song should be included as one of the greatest ever written.

And this the quintessential performance thereof.

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 12:56:25 pm »

Sorry, Rob. You lost me. Those three can't even stay in tune.  Ray Charles could teach them a thing or two about that song.

If you want style AND substance, try this.  Renders me speechless every time.

You know, Peter, I don't think how accurately or otherwise they tuned themselves up matter a heap; it's just raw emotion, something that's visceral. It's about the emotional framework within which they opt to make their sounds...

I never liked kd, and on this video, I get the feeling that there's a stomach cramp going down up there on the high stage. I see phyiscal pain more than emptional turmoil. Which, in the event and considering the character, is surprising, to say the least.

Ray Charles was a man; I don't find male singers have much emotional appeal to me. Certainly some can go to quite appealing places, create emotional impact, Jerry Lee Lewis is one such and lots of Swamp Pop Rockers have it too, but it's different: it doesn' touch the same nerve as does the right woman. And that, too, can change: was a time Loretta Lynn could do no wrong: that coalminer's daughter used to send shivers down my back, but no more. I don't know why. Now, it's more likely to be Patty Loveless or Miss Martina McB. Maybe Martina in that video just reminds me of a picture of my wife when she looked the same age... who knows? Things just happen.

Jazz singers: not really the same thing; they have a helluva lot of technique and are bloody clever, but that's a different, intellectual business.

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:58:50 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 01:11:12 pm »

yeppers- martina is one of my exes faves-I listen to words too...
well Rob in keeping with my insistence there can be true talent with questionable material,
check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LuGzwNy2ws

It's a trick!

Just look at those straight-on head shots: the way she goes up and down, rhythmically like that, distracts me totally away from any music and onto something quite else! It wouldn't work with Ray Charles doing that Jersey bounce 'n' sway; not for me, at least!

Let's let women just do what they do best in manner both supreme and sublime; who needs the music unless there are thin walls?

;-)

Rob C

Rocco Penny

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 06:29:05 pm »

It's a trick!...

...Let's let women just do what they do best in manner both supreme and sublime; who needs the music unless there are thin walls?

;-)

Rob C

o000000000h my gosh!
I've not heard such scandalous and inappropriate  verve or vim out of anyone in a while-
my compliments>

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 04:31:47 am »

o000000000h my gosh!
I've not heard such scandalous and inappropriate  verve or vim out of anyone in a while-
my compliments>

Thank you; I try to be helpful. That's the benefit of age: experience in what really, really counts, and I don't mean someone's meter.

I watched a docu. last night about the rise/fall of a chap in Florida who became a time-share king and then met his Waterloo when the banks went bitchy in '08 and he'd over-stretched in Vegas. He was long out of his prime and his much younger (and remodelled) wife was spending like there was no tomorrow even as the foreclosures were biting their asses off. I thought, imagine having and losing all that wealth, and as compensation you get a pair of plastic tits.

Life's  not fair!

;-)

Rob C

P.S. For distaff confirmation: check out 4.05mins below:

"this is 2007, and a woman will tell you what she wants..."

http://youtu.be/Y6Mwm5BCR2k

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 09:16:09 am by Rob C »
Pages: [1]   Go Up