Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just got my Colormunki today -color management actually works-what a surprise  (Read 1690 times)

philbaum

Just got back from a trip this afternoon, and then cut open the box with my new colormunki.

Read the quickstart guide, installed the software and feared the worst.  My old spyder2express was just not able to calibrate the monitor to any degree of accuracy anymore, and when trying to print canvas on my R3000, i was having to make a lot of test prints to assure anything close to what my monitor looked like - very frustrating.

So munki arrives, i start in on the monitor, clicked bravely on the advanced process, and got a monitor which was drastically better than what the old spyder2 did for me.  Having some momentum now, i decided to bravely click on the printer calibration and build a printer profile - not having too much idea of what that really was.  (I wasn't brave enough to risk any of my expensive canvas for this stuff, so used glossy photo paper instead)  But just followed software directions and printed the first sheet of color swatches when prompted.  Then printed the second sheet of color swatches and then closed out the program.  Seemed way to easy to even have a chance of working.

Then decided to reprint a photo i had done on canvas, and see how the paper print came out relative to my newly calibrated monitor.  (i should mention in all honesty that my monitor is nothing special - just the lcd on my older Toshiba laptop)  The printed copy of the photo - looked exactly like what my monitor looked like, even the toning.  (my printing hell is suddenly appearing like its done a major turnaround)

Thanks to all that recommended the colormunki - expensive bit of kit but its sure going to save me time on test prints and other nonsense.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 03:34:07 am by philbaum »

francois

Glad to see that you're happy with your ColorMunki.
I must say that most posters only post when they are unhappy with a product, so thank you for sharing your positive experience.

Have a great day!
Francois

irvweiner

Phil, I developed this approach to create print profiles without using 2 letter sheets of 'fine' paper or canvas. Briefly I cut an 8.5x5.5 (half letter size) sheet of the media, place in the printer paper holder in landscape mode and set the printer for portrait mode. I also set the enlarge/reduce scale to 51%. I print my 1st chart, it will appear on the right hand side of the sheet. I scan it carefully with a straight edge supporting the Munki. When I print the 2nd chart, the paper is inserted as before but flipped sideways, again printing will occur on the now blank right hand side. Scan carefully, finish your profile. Instead of 'burning' 2 sheets of costly fine paper you will burn only 1/2 sheet, this will remove any hesitancy to re-check a profile.

I have posted this protocol in greater detail on the DPReview print forum and I believe on this site and Naturescapes when the question arose. A basic search should net you the posts.

good luck   irv weiner

PS My pathway to the Munki followed yours-=nuff said

philbaum

Irv,
Thanks, sounds like a good plan!!

Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up