Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st attempt at street photography ever. Be gentle  (Read 871 times)

Mjollnir

1st attempt at street photography ever. Be gentle
« on: January 23, 2013, 09:25:48 am »

My first street shot, taken some time ago, at the Hollywood Farmer's Market on Ivar.  One of only two I've ever taken, which is going to change, since I live in Hollywood, on Hollywood Blvd., and can't always get out to the Owens Valley, Yosemite, etc...

Processed from a .jpg from an old Panny FS7.  Man, did I love that camera.

Hollywood Farmer's Market, Brother & Sister by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: 1st attempt at street photography ever. Be gentle
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 09:52:31 am »

It's a really cute shot, No Real Name Given. It tells a story, which makes it documentary, and in this case quite good documentary. The thing that would make it a street shot would be a sense of ambiguity. Keep shooting, but more importantly get your hands on some books of photographs by the masters of street, people like Cartier-Bresson, Doisneau, Ronis, Brassaï, Erwitt, Riboud, Frank, Friedlander, etc., and study them. I'm not suggesting you try to copy what these they've done, that's impossible, but absorbing their work will give you a sense of what makes a street photograph different from a snapshot or reportage. I suspect that if you keep working at this you'll find it's more enjoyable than anything else you can do with a camera.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Mjollnir

Re: 1st attempt at street photography ever. Be gentle
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 05:48:02 pm »

It's a really cute shot, No Real Name Given. It tells a story, which makes it documentary, and in this case quite good documentary. The thing that would make it a street shot would be a sense of ambiguity. Keep shooting, but more importantly get your hands on some books of photographs by the masters of street, people like Cartier-Bresson, Doisneau, Ronis, Brassaï, Erwitt, Riboud, Frank, Friedlander, etc., and study them. I'm not suggesting you try to copy what these they've done, that's impossible, but absorbing their work will give you a sense of what makes a street photograph different from a snapshot or reportage. I suspect that if you keep working at this you'll find it's more enjoyable than anything else you can do with a camera.

Thanks!  I was pleased with the random luck that the bagel matched the shoes, but you're right; it's not really street photography in the sense of those luminaries you mentioned.

It's more like 'photograph taken while around a lot of people who happened to be on the street'.
Pages: [1]   Go Up