Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 8 and iPF8300 Media Config Tool  (Read 888 times)

Robcat

Windows 8 and iPF8300 Media Config Tool
« on: January 22, 2013, 06:54:55 pm »

Just got a new machine w. Windows 8 (yeah, Win 8, I know---long story). Everything for the 8300 went in ok except for an issue with the Canon Media Configuration Tool. It took me a while to sort out, so I thought I'd pass on the method. On the Canon download site it says MCT works on Win 8 but the fine print says you have to install/run in compatibility mode (didn't see that at first). They do mean that. If you try a normal install it says "OS not supported." Well, the issue I had was that Win 8 recommended and selected XP sp3 as the compatibility mode but that didn't install. But (and this took me a call to Canon support) if you use Win 7 compatibility, it installs and runs ok. To get the compatibility mode (you all probably know this, but I had to figure out), right click the setup.exe file>properties>compatibility tab>check compatibility mode>select Win 7 on pulldown>apply>ok. Then double click the .exe file to install as usual.
Once it's in, you can import your custom settings from previous computer: to export, open MCT>add custom paper>export>select file. Can do only 1 at a time  :(. Then do the same but "import" on new computer (with printer running). You can't just copy the stored files over---they're stored as .med but they have to be exported/imported as .am1 files.   
Anyway, if it saves one of you the 4 hrs it took me, it's worth it.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Re: Windows 8 and iPF8300 Media Config Tool
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 12:58:50 am »

Very cool, thanks for the tip!

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!
Pages: [1]   Go Up