Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A slightly surreal scene!  (Read 2615 times)

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
A slightly surreal scene!
« on: January 22, 2013, 09:32:58 am »

Hi All.
Here you see a photo in Wicklow near the village of Knocksink. It is an of an incredible location. The old weathered boat stranded on the stream has been there for many years and is indeed a very surreal and peaceful setting. I love finding these types of locations. I went there 4 times before I got the right light to get a set of images I was completely happy with. It was such a lovely location I didn't mind.  The old weathered timber complimented the rich greens of the sunlit trees

The image was shot with a Hasselblad H3D back on a Cambo wide DS view camera and a 28mm xl. 2 sets of 6 images. Longest exposure 80 seconds.

APOLOGIES IN ADVANCE ABOUT THE WATERMARK

You can view it in a larger size on my website by clicking here

You should click "View larger Image" above the top left of the image.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:34:52 am by Enda Cavanagh »

Matt Tilghman

• MattTilghman.com
Re: A slightly surreal scene!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 07:40:31 pm »

Whoa, this looks like an awesome location!  I really like the image.  One thing that slightly bothers me though is the perspective distortion of the branches in the two top corners.
Check out my gallery and photoshop blog:  www.MattTilghman.com

francois

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 02:24:42 am »

Whoa, this looks like an awesome location!  I really like the image.  One thing that slightly bothers me though is the perspective distortion of the branches in the two top corners.

I like this photo too but I also find corners distortion a bit uncomfortable. It was the first thing I noticed after the initial Wow! One could think that it (distortion) adds some time tunnel effect or dynamic vignetting. Maybe, once printed big, the effect is different.
Francois

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 03:19:38 am »

Enda, I looked forward with much anticipation to viewing this image, I am always interested in the work that you submit, however, I must, in some ways agree with the other posts in saying that the perspective makes me feel wierd - a bit like space and light have been stretched.
Vertigo appears to be a necessary accompaniment for this image.

Tony Jay

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 07:25:14 am »

Thanks for the feedback guys. Ya it might look a bit stretched. I shot it with the 2mm Schneider and the movement was maxed out at 20mm shift left and right. I'll post a video at some stage (needs to be edited!!) to give an idea of actually how close I was and how much you can get with this amazing lens. I resized the image slightly to reduce the stretched look of the image. It does look pretty amazing printed Francois. BTW the pulpit at the front of the boat is huge. It is higher than me (as the video will show) and the boat is very slender so that is probably influencing your opinion to an extent.

I have another shot here that I took further left, which consists of 4 movements x six exposures for each. That's 24 exposures!! I prefer the colour shot though. It's quite a surreal shot. The dappled light on the boat is better and you get a better feel for the giant softbox which resulted from the sunlight through the leaves. It really did look like that. The longest exposure was 80 seconds, even though it was a sunny still day.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 10:04:49 am »

Since it can be printed really big, how about printing it on a free-standing, concave platform? So, when you apprach it, you eould be at equal distance from the center as from the edges. That might solve or minimize the distortion. Cylindrical projection in PS? Just brainstorming.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:15:19 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 10:08:13 am »

Since it can be printed really big, how about printing it on a free-standing, concave platform? So, when you apprach it, you eould be at equal distance from the center as from the wdges. That might solve or minimize the distortion. Cylindrical projection in PS? Just brainstorming.

Eeeek. I HATE canvas. Hate. Did I say hate. Jayney Slobodan.....heart seizure....call 911__/\____/\_____________

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 10:14:41 am »

Why does it have to be canvas!?

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 10:22:52 am »

It would look great printed on acrylic I think but I wouldn't be keen on a cylindrical shot. Mind you I've never seen one like that.  :) I have framed it at 4ft wide but I do my panos as 5ft and 9ft acrylics. Here are 3 that were hung yesterday for a client

5ft

9ft

5ft

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 10:40:56 am »

If I remember correctly, you do work for airports. What I had in mind might work there, as a space divider, or similar, for example. They tend to have a number of huge curved spaces. Anyway, just a thought.

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 10:50:20 am »

Ya interior architects commissioned me to do a series of landscapes to be displayed in a cool bar in Dublin airport in the new terminal and separate from that I took architectural photos of the new terminal but I wouldn't typically do dividers are similar. On saying that I have sold image licenses for various uses and if the oppertunity came to have my image used in that way I would br more than happy to sell a license......any takers? ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up