Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fresh snowfall  (Read 1616 times)

Rob/L

Fresh snowfall
« on: January 21, 2013, 04:59:14 pm »

I'd be grateful for any views on this picture, taken early this morning after a big fall of very soft, powdery snow.
Thanks.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Re: Fresh snowfall
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 05:19:38 pm »

Nice image Rob, very nice indeed.

Usually I struggle to appreciate images containing lots of negative space, but for some reason within this image it works for me and works well.

It is a shame we are not getting any snow up here, everywhere else in the UK is apparently covered like a blanket according to the news, but not on the IoS unfortunately.

Dave

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 05:57:05 pm »

I agree with Dave!

Tony Jay

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 06:44:57 pm »

It is a lovely pastoral scene. My only comment is that the blacks are a bit too strong. Open up shadows a bit and voila!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 06:48:54 pm »

This is one of the few times I disagree with Slobodan on a photograph. I like the deep blacks. They turn the treeline almost into a silhouette. The trees are too distant for more detail in the shadows to add anything.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 08:19:29 pm »

This is one of the few times I disagree with Slobodan on a photograph. I like the deep blacks. They turn the treeline almost into a silhouette. The trees are too distant for more detail in the shadows to add anything.
Likewise.
The black tree beside the buildings contrasts beautifully with the lighter, more distant trees behind it. Opening the shadows here I think would lose that nice contrast.

Nice image!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob/L

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 03:27:27 am »

Thanks for all your comments.

I had wondered about how much contrast to leave in the shadow areas in the trees. Maybe it depends on the viewing size as well as to what works best.

The other thing I was undecided about was the foreground snow cover. There was hardly any texture because it was almost completely undisturbed snow and I wasn't sure if this gave too much blank space in front of the buildings - the negative space. But on balance what caught my attention was the way the buildings seem to float in that space.   Rob

Edit: PS I forgot to say that the place shown in this picture is called "Eden".
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 03:29:19 am by Rob/L »

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 04:10:17 am »

I've taken a number of similar sorts of photos over the weekend, so I'm not going to make any criticism at all

stamper

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 04:33:37 am »

I've taken a number of similar sorts of photos over the weekend, so I'm not going to make any criticism at all

Bill do you think criticism is warranted? I like it a lot. The blacks are perfect and adds to the bleakness. As to the negative space then it makes the houses look smaller in the frame which adds isolation to the image. A very nice image.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 05:14:19 am »

No, I don't think any criticism is warranted at all, other than it's better than those I took at the weekend, and that irks me slightly

stamper

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 05:51:03 am »

No, I don't think any criticism is warranted at all, other than it's better than those I took at the weekend, and that irks me slightly

Jealousy is a curse.  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up