Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D800 Slow?  (Read 2843 times)

andreagenor

• André Agenor Photography
D800 Slow?
« on: January 21, 2013, 03:16:10 pm »

Hi,
I'm trying to processing D800 NEF uncompressed files in C1 7.0., but the computer is very slow.
I have Leaf Aptus 75 too, and with this files works fine e smooth.

I'm using iMac 27' Core2Duo 3.06Ghz 4GB Ram

Someone know what's happening?

Sorry my bad English!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:56:31 pm by andreagenor »

Pics2

Re: D800 Slow?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 11:41:42 am »

How slow? I have similar configuration - 30 sec per file.

andreagenor

• André Agenor Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 12:32:39 pm »

I don't know how long exactly, but when I change some parameters the image not update in real time, I need choose other image and then I go back.
With Leaf Aptus files running much more smooth, but yet not update RT.

I don't know if is D800 files or C1 7.0, because with Aptus I was using C1 6.0

Pics2

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 02:43:33 am »

I don't know how long exactly, but when I change some parameters the image not update in real time, I need choose other image and then I go back.
With Leaf Aptus files running much more smooth, but yet not update RT.

I don't know if is D800 files or C1 7.0, because with Aptus I was using C1 6.0
I thought you were talking about output processing, sorry.
There is a small circle rotating during preview generating, just above the picture. During that time, it is possible that your adjustments are not applied in real time. It does take longer than with v6, that's true. But, it shouldn't take that long. You better look for support at Phase One website.

Pics2

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 04:42:23 am »

Has anyone used the D800 for weddings? I have read that the buffer fills up fast and then you can't do anything for minutes while it writes...true?
I think this is wrong place to ask (Capture One Q&A). But, I did test it for you, since I have D800E that I'm using for still life in a studio. Yes, I after a burst of max 16 captures it took several minutes to process. Although, you can shoot again limited number of captures as soon as the buffer starts freeing the space. Keep in mind that my CF card is only 15 MB/s speed.
I don't think D800 is right camera for weddings or news. If you are serious about wedding photography you should go to DWF, great place with a lot of working professionals. You'll see that a lot of people use D700 for wedding, and now D600 and D4, since files are much smaller and speed is of big importance in this kind of work.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 05:21:41 am »

Hi, I agree with Pics2 that this is not the right place to ask, but anyway if you use fast cards the wait is shorter:

Using SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB, 90MB/s, Uncompressed RAW 14 bit, camera on CH (about 4 fps)
After 16 continuous shots the camera slows down to a little less of 1 fps if you keep the shutter pressed. If you release the shutter after the 16th image, it takes about 14 seconds to process.

Changing to 14 bits Lossless compressed, the time to process go down to less than 9 seconds (after the 18th image)

Using 12 bit lossless compressed, it takes a burst of about 25 shots and takes less than 7 seconds to process. If you keep the shutter pressed after the 25th shot, it continues at a rate slightly above 1fps.

Regarding the issue of using 12 bits instead of 14, if you shoot at ISO 400 or above, you don't need more than 12 bits because the other 2 bits will be noise (Check the measurements at DXOMark)

There is an option to go faster, using the 1.2 crop mode (uses a sensor area of 20x30) you could go up to 5fps with burst above 30 shots (12 bit, lossless compressed) and process time about 6 seconds (for the 30 shots) or keep shooting close to 2fps. With this mode you get 25 Mpix images, much less than 36, but above most of the other comparable cameras.

I'm not a wedding photographer but I would assume that it is acceptable. It could be an issue with sports / wildlife though.

Regards,
Pages: [1]   Go Up