Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Graphics card for twin monitors  (Read 2616 times)

Quantum

New Graphics card for twin monitors
« on: January 21, 2013, 10:26:51 am »

I have had problems with my AMD radeon 6700 toghether with my latest windows 7 pc not being able to perform a profile with my Spectraview 2690 and the Spectraview Profiler software. This has been going on for a year.
Now the card seems to have stopped altogether when using the DVI port. So I am inclined to change the card.
Can anyone recommend a graphics card for Lightroom and Photoshop? I won't be doing 3d or gaming...
Oh yes I do use a second monitor for palletes - a cheap IIyama. I've been using this with a standard VGA and DVi with the NEC. Would it be better to have both DVI - dual dvi?
Someone on another forum recommended has recommended a GTX 650 Ti 1Gb or a EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti SSC 2GB.
Are there any 2x dual DVi output cards out there you recommend?
I have been astounded how many makes there are out there which to my eye all have the same basic brand i.e. Nvidia/ AMD etc. I am leaning towards an Asus as my motherboard is an Asus...

Kind regards
John
Win 7 Pro 64bit, 3.4 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2600. Motherboard ASUS® P8Z68-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX. 16Gb Ram, intel ssd 120 gb primary drive. COOLIT ECO II A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER). NEC spectraview reference 2690WUXi2 AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
Re: New Graphics card for twin monitors
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 03:33:50 pm »

I use (2) LCD2690uxi2's  and SVII  side by side on a dual monitor stand, Win7x64, and the two cards I most recommend for my computer builds (and which work with my gear above) is the Gigabyte 6870 card (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IF6I1S/ref=wms_ohs_product), very robust with the three fans keeping it mostly silent and cool.  I've yet to have an issue with dozens of these. Relatively inexpensive and enough power in CS6 for still photographers, and the GTX 670 cards (http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-WINDFORCE-PCI-Express-Graphics-GV-N670WF2-2GD/dp/B008LZKLF0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358800151&sr=1-2&keywords=gigabyte+gtx+670) for those straddling still/video/time lapse/stitching... and I'm still in search of a stand-out for someone  with video as a priority.    I like Gigabytes conservative clocking, large quality fans, and the frames holding the fans are great.   Connectors and great too.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Quantum

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 08:54:35 am »

Thanks Steve. I'll look into this recommendation.
I just wonder why you say "I've yet to have an issue with dozens of these". Do you build systems or something?
John

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 09:10:45 am »

I have used an ATI Radeon HD 4350 for a couple of years with Win 7 and Spectraview, dual NEC monitors, and it has worked flawlessly the whole time.

Doug Fisher

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 09:25:29 am »

One thing you might want to consider in case of a future upgrade to another NEC monitor is whether the card AND its software allow for 10 bit output.  I am not sure about your current monitor but newer NEC monitors can take advantage of this higher bit stream.

Doug

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 01:09:58 pm »

Thanks Steve. I'll look into this recommendation.
I just wonder why you say "I've yet to have an issue with dozens of these". Do you build systems or something?
John
Yes I do.  I think several of us here are involved at different levels.

If you're ever allowed to be the kid in the candy store as they'd sometimes let me at a major supplier in Thailand, like you said you'd be surprised at the sheer number of different cards, or the same cards but with different outputs.  Everyone specifying a system looks for different things, but for what we do (stills or video) once we get past the compatibility side of things (8 bit vs. 10 bit, the right native connectors, power draw and connectors, etc) then I think it pays next to look at drivers and then build quality and anything that keeps that board cool and preferably quiet.  I'm not interested in over clocking other than from the factory (who do this in very small amounts when they do) or small differences in power gains.  We just want a good solid card somewhere in the right ballpark of our power requirements and for that card to be kept cool and built very well with a solid warranty.

The different coolers that come with the cards range from cheap plastic housings hiding small inadequate heatsinks, to large capable heatsinks cooled by large liquid baaring fans that push more air at less RPM's. We're talking a 20-30c different in peak operating temperature.  Not bad fro paying attention and maybe another $10-$20 in initial cost,

There are some great aftermarket but unless you do a lot of these I wouldn't recommend them.  They instantly void your warranty it's very easy to brick a card.

Good luck.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up