Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking about Image Print 9  (Read 2041 times)

jsiva

Thinking about Image Print 9
« on: January 21, 2013, 02:42:25 am »

I currently use an HP Z3100PS an an Epson 3880.  I was never thrilled with the Epson profiles so downloaded ImagePrint and gave it a go.

1.  Printed color and b&w on Canson Infinity Baryta, using IP and the epson profiles.  IP was far more neutral in color.  In comparison, the Epson profile (from Canson) over saturated the greens and added an overall yellow tone to the prints.

2.  On B&W, again IP was far better tonality and did not smudge all the dark areas.

3.  Biggest surprise was the detail.  Grass and foliage that looked muddy with the ICC profile held the detail from the original image.

4.  I also tried Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Satin.  This is a matte paper, and I was not as impressed.  In this case, the ink appeared to be bleeding and dark areas were just terrible.

Any thoughts on item 4?

I am so impressed with what I printed on the Canson glossy, that I am seriously considering ditching the big HP and going with an Epson 9900 just so I can use IP.  Of course, the matte paper issue would need to be addressed, but I'm sure there is something I'm missing.

Thanks again for any help.

Cheers.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: Thinking about Image Print 9
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 03:45:06 am »

I was getting decent results on Hahne PRS + my SP7880, iPF6350 and 8300, even with stock profiles.

IP didn't impress me at all - profiles suffered from classic "red turs orange, blue turns violet" issue, default profiles weren't calculated to D50 and gave cold tint to grayscale, tonality was better at the cost of coarser dither.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 03:47:40 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 03:59:19 am »

Before going that expensive route consider another choice of a Fiber/Baryta paper, both with the Z3100 and in a trial with a Canon iPF8300-iPF8400. The Harman by HM qualities do better according John Dean. If you use Windows consider Qimage Ultimate as the application to print from, otherwise Lightroom. Profiles should not influence image quality much beyond the color aspects. Bleeding and bad image detail are a problem with the media preset choice and/or bad extrapolation + the absence of (smart) print sharpening. Avoid papers that do not suit your printer, for instance if the inks create a bronzing effect or bleed too much despite frugal media presets.

The Photo Rag Satin gave more discussions here and HM is not sure either as I understand it on what black ink (media preset) choice should be used; PK or MK based.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2012, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 01:17:33 pm »

FWIW, I use IP 9 with a calibrated NEC MultiSync PA271W and 3880, have been since version 6, and couldn't be happier. I've settled on the Epson Hot Press Natural for my B&W, often converting to grayscale for my higher contrast images. The blacks are the best I've found, deep and rich with as much detail as I add during processing.

For my glossy, I've found that Canson Baryta paper is producing exactly what I am seeing on my monitor.

These results are better than what I've gotten with any of the Hahnemuhle papers that I've tried including Photo Rag, William Turner and their Baryta line. I've also tried Pictorico for glossy and of course most of the Epson papers.

If price isn't a obstacle, I would recommend it, keeping in mind that upgrades, both to versions and for changing printers can be pricy.

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 09:32:13 pm »

I have been using ImagePrint 9 with my 3880 for about 8 months and really love it.  Results clearly beat the Epson driver, including ABW for B&W.  All of the profiles that I use are right on the money, or at least very close to it.  Mostly, I use Epson Hot Press Natural for color and Museo Portfolio Rag for B&W, and I can honestly say that I am getting the best prints of my life.

BTW, are you sure that HN Photo Rag Satin is a matte paper?  HN's website lists it as glossy, something that IP would automatically pick up, but Epson would not.  I suggest repeating your test using the correct media type for the Epson driver.

Rob

jsiva

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 02:49:19 am »

Thanks for all the info.

I got it working a little better with matte papers, but I think my expectations on matte papers are a little too high.

In addition to the Hahnemuhle PR Satin, I also tried the PR Bright White, and it looks pretty good.  But I'm most impressed with the prints on the Baryta papers (both Canson and Hahnemuhle).  The difference is enough for me to spend the 900$ on IP for the 3880. I'm going to play with a little and compare to custom profiles on the Z3100PS with APS.

Switching the HP out for an Epson 9900 and 44" IP warrants a little more thought.  Thanks again.

jsiva

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 02:59:47 am »

BTW, are you sure that HN Photo Rag Satin is a matte paper?  HN's website lists it as glossy, something that IP would automatically pick up, but Epson would not.  I suggest repeating your test using the correct media type for the Epson driver.

Rob

Yup, both the PR Satin and PR Bright White are Matte papers.  If you download the handling instructions, they are pretty clear about using Matte Black ink.  I think the surface has a slight sheen, and some people have suggested trying it with both MK and PK.  Some further discussion on the thread below.

BTW, I did not use the Epson driver.  I was printing via Image Print 9, so it's whatever ink they chose, and in this case it was MK as the printer switched to it.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=32218.0;wap2

Cheers.

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 08:23:02 pm »

Yup, both the PR Satin and PR Bright White are Matte papers.  If you download the handling instructions, they are pretty clear about using Matte Black ink.  I think the surface has a slight sheen, and some people have suggested trying it with both MK and PK.  Some further discussion on the thread below.

BTW, I did not use the Epson driver.  I was printing via Image Print 9, so it's whatever ink they chose, and in this case it was MK as the printer switched to it.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=32218.0;wap2

Cheers.

Well, if ImagePrint thinks it is a matte paper, that is good enough for me.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up