Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR usability frustrations  (Read 19692 times)

afx

• AFXImages
Re: LR usability frustrations
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2013, 05:02:30 pm »

The issue would not be one's own OS.
Many servers around the world are running exactly those legacy OS's that do limit file name lengths
Why would anyone want to deal with a service that can only handle 8.3 names which where obsolete 20 years ago already?
What current systems still have that limitation?

and will also behave unpredictably to special characters.
That is a different issue and much more prevalent with the US centricity of software developers.

cheers
afx

afx

• AFXImages
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2013, 05:06:45 pm »

I'm wondering out loud because I simply don't know:  If a wedding photog takes a few thousand images for one wedding, and the couple gets say, the best five hundred, what happens to the out-takes?  Do you keep them?  If the people that buy the good ones don't get the bad ones, why keep them?  Can you use them for someone else?  ;)  ;D 
Even if only 500 are kept per wedding that quickly piles up...
Say two weddings per week and 40 weekends: 80*500=40000 in a year.

cheers
afx

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2013, 05:07:29 pm »

You're guarding against the potential for such trouble. Screw around with such well-established practice, and sooner or later there's a good chance that you'll get bitten. But you seem to know it all so why should one need to tell you this?

Glenn NK

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2013, 10:20:12 pm »

Even if only 500 are kept per wedding that quickly piles up...
Say two weddings per week and 40 weekends: 80*500=40000 in a year.

cheers
afx

What if the photog knows that the couple split?  Do you still keep them?  :D  Sorry I couldn't resist.

It's just that weddings so quickly become a thing of the past (especially so considering how short some marriages last these days), that I wonder how much value there is in keeping the original digital images beyond a few years?  When the photographers retires or "moves on", what becomes of the images?  Aren't much use in the afterlife.

OTOH, a good landscape image has a bit more lasting value it would seem.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

Tony Jay

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2013, 12:46:06 am »

Why would anyone want to deal with a service that can only handle 8.3 names which where obsolete 20 years ago already?
What current systems still have that limitation?

Do you have any idea through which servers your emails or images go when you send them across the internet?
I would suggest not.
Even sending seperate files to the same place from the same source may get routed differently.

Tony Jay

afx

• AFXImages
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2013, 01:18:56 am »

Do you have any idea through which servers your emails or images go when you send them across the internet?
I would suggest not.[/quoe]
No and I don't care (but I could look it up easily, after all, received lines in mail headers are easy to read).
But I definitely know the details of the protocols involved and I can tell you, the file names of any attached images are completely irrelevant for the process (I ran quite a few mail servers in the past...).

Even sending seperate files to the same place from the same source may get routed differently.
Not likely. It is just your MUA to your configured MTA and then straight to the receiving MTA with maybe an anti-spam and virus checking appliance in-between. The packets at a lower level might get routed differently, but at that level, the content of the packets is totally irrelevant.

cheers
afx

Steve House

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2013, 06:55:18 am »

It's just that weddings so quickly become a thing of the past (especially so considering how short some marriages last these days), that I wonder how much value there is in keeping the original digital images beyond a few years?  When the photographers retires or "moves on", what becomes of the images?...
Not a lawyer but in keeping with other business record retention requirements such as tax information I would suggest that they be kept by the photographer or his estate for a minimum of seven years.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2013, 07:23:48 am »

Not a lawyer but in keeping with other business record retention requirements such as tax information I would suggest that they be kept by the photographer or his estate for a minimum of seven years.
It may be better to start a different thread for this wedding photography stuff - it rather obscures afx's wisdom.

But... wedding photographers often learn by bitter experience to keep all their out-takes, even if only on an archive drive and not in Lightroom. You never know when the picture that you erased will turn out to be the only one showing a certain friend / family member / colleague, the last picture before he / she passed away etc - and the bride or groom remember you did take a picture with them in it. Rejects can also be handy if you simply need material for emergency head swapping in a group photo.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 08:33:31 am by johnbeardy »

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2013, 09:06:13 pm »

It may be better to start a different thread for this wedding photography stuff - it rather obscures afx's wisdom.

But... wedding photographers often learn by bitter experience to keep all their out-takes, even if only on an archive drive and not in Lightroom. You never know when the picture that you erased will turn out to be the only one showing a certain friend / family member / colleague, the last picture before he / she passed away etc - and the bride or groom remember you did take a picture with them in it. Rejects can also be handy if you simply need material for emergency head swapping in a group photo.

Never wiser words said - we now keep ours for at least a few months after the couple have their pictures.

Jim
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up