Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cutting canvas into strips  (Read 3866 times)

WillYurman

cutting canvas into strips
« on: January 19, 2013, 11:45:47 pm »

Hi,
Does anyone know a company that can cut rolls of canvas into strips? I've got a project where I want to print strips of photos on 40 foot x 13" rolls of canvas. Probably printing 4 or 5 strips on each roll.

Looking for someone who can cleanly and accurately slice the rolls into strips after printing.

thanks for any suggestions!

-Will

framah

Re: cutting canvas into strips
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 12:10:50 pm »

How about taking it to Home Depot to the blinds section and see if it will cut on that machine that cuts blinds to size. It has a cutter wheel that should do it.
You never know till you ask.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

davidh202

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 04:18:32 pm »

Do a search  and buy an inexpensive 10" food slicer blade and put it on a chop saw.(would have to have the right size diameter mounting hole, usually 5/8" bore ). Cover your roll (on the core) tightly with kraft paper and mark the strip increments and cut with the chop saw as you rotate the roll through . Should yield a very clean cut.

Be very careful!!!

framah

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 12:18:19 pm »

David... That's a GREAT idea!! I think I just might do a google for one of those.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

davidh202

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 05:26:12 pm »

Thanks. Those better blades are extremely sharp  and some are very expensive.
I nearly sliced off a finger as a teen working in a deli, cleaning one of those industrial grade Hobart slicers.

I forgot to mention that you need to print the roll first of course.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 05:27:45 pm by davidh202 »

davidh202

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 05:57:54 pm »

an even easier and cheaper idea...
 hardest part would be fastening the mat cutter #12  blades securely, and pulling the canvas through at an even -smoothe pace.
A leader strip and pulling the canvas from the two edges at the same time, or even attaching the leader to a strip of wood or roll core to pull it through, should work as long as there isn't too much gap in the slot.    You could practice on a dummy roll of kraft paper.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 06:01:41 pm by davidh202 »

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 08:21:45 pm »

If you search for "cutting rolls" you should find a few other threads with suggestions too. Occasionally someone will ask this for regular paper, I'm sure those solutions will work for canvas as well.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!
Pages: [1]   Go Up