Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing error - Epson R3000 and A4 borderless  (Read 3077 times)

Hydrology

Printing error - Epson R3000 and A4 borderless
« on: January 19, 2013, 02:20:27 pm »

Ok I swear this is NOT my week for printing and using this printer! The amount of ink and paper I have wasted - I dont wanna think about it!

I have some designs (movie posters) I have worked on in Photoshop that I wish to print to A4. The ratio of the file(s) is exactly the ratio required for printing fully, with no bleed/loss, onto A4 paper, with no borders. However, whenever I print, it seems that its cutting off about 7-10mm of the extreme edges of the print, which I dont want!

IMAGE 1 - Heres the image after I print - when I print (using the correct ILFORD profile), the print out basically has removed all of the outer edge up to the name text (at top) while IMAGE 2 shows that there is space around the image including the top. Which settings are appropraite for printing with no zoom but also with no white border? I have choices for
A4
A4 (sheet feeder - borderless(auto expand))
A4 (sheet feeder - borderless(retain size)) but trying all three seems to apply some zoom to the image, despite the image being EXACTLY composed for A4 ratio? The preview in the print settings looks right when I select any of the above options, but the print is always zoomed. Im not sure how "Scale" or "Scale to Fit" apply here ("Print Entire Paper", Fill Entire Paper"
Some thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated!!!

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 02:27:20 pm by Hydrology »

Hydrology

Re: Printing error - Epson R3000 and A4 borderless
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:59:38 am »

Anybody any ideas?

hugowolf

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 02:20:47 pm »

You have to loose something from the edges when printing borderless: the printer has to print slightly beyond the edge of the paper. If you want precise control, then printing the image on a larger sheet and cutting down to A4 is your best bet.

Alternatively, you can minimize overspray of the Auto Expansion by setting the expansion to Min, that would be under Page Layout Settngs.

I have only used Retain Size when I have wanted to get around the minimum margin sizes, for example when an image already contained white borders as part of the image itself and I didn't want an additional 3 mm of border.

With either borderless method, if you want everything in, then you need to supply some excess for it to remove. You can do this by wrapping the edges in Photoshop.

Brian A

Hydrology

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 08:16:36 am »

Interesting Brian,
My Canon MP640 (which I use for quick proofs) prints the file EXACTLY as it appears on screen in PS/LR, with no loss whatsoever, when set to A4 borderless.

Hydrology

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 01:45:31 am »

I STILL havent been able to resolve this problem. My Canon MP640 prints A4 borderless EXACTLY with no apparent loss of the image extremes, whereas all A4 borderless options with the Epson R3000 dont do this - it seems to cut about 5-8mm off the border. The Expansion options in the R300 print dialog is always greyed out - it seems to be linked to Roll Paper only?
Pages: [1]   Go Up