Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4880 ink running on glossy canvas  (Read 2402 times)

KenBabcock

4880 ink running on glossy canvas
« on: January 19, 2013, 10:24:07 am »

Just acquired a 4880 with intentions of converting to B&W, however, with a full inkset of Epson ink I will convert when the ink is used up.

The ink is not laying on glossy or satin canvas.  It is running and looks more like a watercolor painting than an inkjet print.  I have tried various media settings and get the same result.  No problems on matte canvas, just satin and glossy.  I had this problem before with a big, old Epson printer and the problem went away when I stuck 3rd party ink in it.

Ideas why the ink is running before it dries?

Pic isn't that clear - it was taken with my cell phone but it still gives you an idea what it is doing.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 10:37:39 am by Ken Babcock »

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
Re: 4880 ink running on glossy canvas
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 04:00:03 pm »

Can't make out any ink running in the picture, even zooming in.  It does look like the valleys are darker than the rest, so I'm guessing that's what you're referring to.  You might be having ink pooling from more ink being laid down than the canvas can handle.  In this case, you'll have to play around with backing off your ink saturation percentage.

What brand/model canvas?
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 04:07:04 pm »

Sounds like wrong ink being used (pk vs mk) and/or wrong profile and/or printer settings (media type).....

KenBabcock

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 04:27:44 pm »

That's exactly what it looks like - more ink being laid down than the canvas can handle.  Only something is not clicking because all the settings are correct and I have tried different media settings and profiles just to see.  I did slow the printer down and let it pause a few seconds between each pass.  That helped but didn't completely eliminate the problem.

I've tried a few different canvases with the same result except on matte.  I've tried Exhibition gloss, HP Collector Satin and Fredrix 901 WR Satin.  Ink is PK.  Had this problem in the past with an old Epson.  Stuck some cheap G&G ink in it and the problem disappeared, but then so did the printer - I sold it.

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 04:35:18 pm »

Sounds like wrong ink being used (pk vs mk) and/or wrong profile and/or printer settings (media type).....

If it's truly running, I think you're right.  Matte black onto a glossy surface won't adhere at all.

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 04:38:36 pm »

That's exactly what it looks like - more ink being laid down than the canvas can handle.  Only something is not clicking because all the settings are correct and I have tried different media settings and profiles just to see.  I did slow the printer down and let it pause a few seconds between each pass.  That helped but didn't completely eliminate the problem.

I've tried a few different canvases with the same result except on matte.  I've tried Exhibition gloss, HP Collector Satin and Fredrix 901 WR Satin.  Ink is PK.  Had this problem in the past with an old Epson.  Stuck some cheap G&G ink in it and the problem disappeared, but then so did the printer - I sold it.

Even with the correct media setting and profile, you have to back off the ink saturation on some materials.  Technically the media setting should include the proper settings for this, but so often we're having to use a generic media setting rather than one specifically made by the material manufacturer for that specific media.  In the 9900 driver, it's in "Paper Config" as Color Density with a -50% to +50% slider.

KenBabcock

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 04:44:34 pm »

I am using PK on satin and glossy not MK.

Never had this issue with my 9880 which is basically the same printer and inkset.  Maybe shaking up the cartridges a bit might help.  Perhaps the pigment settled in the cartridges that were already installed.

philbaum

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 01:05:36 am »

I'm just brainstorming here, but how do you know what the previous owner was using in the 4880.  What if they were using dye inks in it and the new inks you bought haven;t flushed the old ink out.  Or what if they were using a flushing solution for some reason and it was not cleaned out. 

KenBabcock

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 01:33:23 am »

I know what you're saying, philbaum, and it would almost seem like that.  I purchased the printer from a member of this board and the printer already had the cartridges installed.  I needed to change 3 of them before I could print since they were completely empty.  But I trust the previous owner and believe he used the inks that were installed.

I've slowed down the printing even more and when taking long pauses between each pass, the problem is getting better.  Still not eliminated, but better yes.  Still makes me think there is too much ink and it's not drying quick enough.

This isn't a huge problem since I think I'm converting it to a B&W printer when I deplete these cartridges of ink.  So when these cartridges are empty the printer won't see canvas again.  I just thought it was odd what was happening when I did run canvas through it.  I have all my other printers to run canvas.  Was just trying it out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up