Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any substitute for Picture Flow Archive Creator for Windows 8  (Read 6758 times)

millard

Any substitute for Picture Flow Archive Creator for Windows 8
« on: January 18, 2013, 08:04:50 pm »

Hello,
I was happily using this old program on my old Win XP when it crashed and I had no choice but to upgrade with a new computer that has windows 8. This program will not work with that or even Vista, so I am looking for a similar program where you can select a bunch of photo folders, slip a CD or DVD and it will automatically fill the cd, archive it in thumbnails, and keep on truckin'. Just keep throwing in the discs until the process is complete! You # the cd's  and it will thumbnail by folder category on all cds, so all you have to do to find an image, is to put a cd in, look for you folder, and it will tell you what cd you have that full blown image on.
Appreciate any input,
Millard

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Any substitute for Picture Flow Archive Creator for Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 01:40:09 am »

I used AC in the past and it was pretty good for it's time. However technology has moved on and left it behind. I gave up using it when I found very many of the DVDs it burnt had deteriorated and were unreadable after a few years. Maybe not the program's fault, but it made it useless to me. Maybe more modern optical drive tech like M@Disc might be more reliable in future.
Unfortunately it's methodology leaves a lot to be desired once image collections start to get large. Pages of HTML thumbnails aren't really a much better solution than contemporary file managers that display thumbnails of inserted disks.
What you need is a proper DAM program that indexes off-line media and will also handle archiving to disk too. I'm afraid I can't help you with that one, but I'm interested to hear what others might recommend. Much will depend on what your personal requirements are and what other software you're using.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 02:37:10 pm »

List of DAM apps you can look into.
I never needed the offline ref pointers and not sure if any that I list have it, but most cataloging DAMs would do this.

IDImager/PhotoSupreme
PhotoMechanic
ACDSeePro
MediaPro (I have had other issues in file formats. I advise you try the demo first)
Extensis
iMatch

there are others, and a couple I can't think of right now
Worth trying and seeing if FastStone has this ability or addon, as it is a browser.
You can also use LR as a catalog app as it has one built in and does a good job. I have been using/testing this recently. It does get slow as the catalog increases and the switch from process to manage becomes a slow one.
Even CaptureOnev7 has now a catalog,  I have not tried it.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

millard

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 10:23:04 am »

thanks for the info, I will give them a shot.
Millard
Pages: [1]   Go Up