Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Using ACR after scan stage  (Read 25348 times)

dmerger

Re: Using ACR after scan stage
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2013, 06:01:40 pm »

Well, Mark, in the immortal words of Steve Martin, excuse me for not realizing that when you said “lamp control” you meant to include a scanner where there is no user control over the lamp at all.  Nil, nada, zip, none!  The lamp is stationary and its brightness is not changeable, but since of course the film has to move (we wouldn’t call it a scanner otherwise, would we, we’d just call it a camera) you call that “lamp control”.  You also got a bridge in Brooklyn you’d like to sell me?  ::)
Dean Erger

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2013, 06:05:56 pm »

Well, Mark, in the immortal words of Steve Martin, excuse me for not realizing that when you said “lamp control” you meant to include a scanner where there is no user control over the lamp at all.  Nil, nada, zip, none!  The lamp is stationary and its brightness is not changeable, but since of course the film has to move (we wouldn’t call it a scanner otherwise, would we, we’d just call it a camera) you call that “lamp control”.  You also got a bridge in Brooklyn you’d like to sell me?  ::)

"Lamp control" happens to be a term used in the industry for hardware-controlled exposure, whether the lamp moves, or the media moves, or the lamp brightness changes, as I said.

Dean, I wouldn't want to try to sell you ANYTHING, let alone the Brooklyn Bridge. :-)
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

dmerger

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2013, 06:12:44 pm »

Well you're sure trying to sell me a load of something!  :-*
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 06:15:04 pm by dmerger »
Dean Erger

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2013, 06:24:02 pm »

I have neither the time nor the interest. You want to keep the discussion objective, I'm in; you want to start imputing motives and introducing malarkey I'm out.

dmerger

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2013, 02:37:13 pm »

… the Minolta 5400, it's now history at least as far as SilverFast is concerned. …  in the SilverFast world you can use this Minolta scanner with version 6.6. up to Windows 2000 or Mac OSX 10.3 … .

Not correct.  SilverFast 6.6 works fine with the Minolta 5400 and Windows XP (32-bit).  It also appears that it’s possible to make virtually any Minolta scanner work in Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8, both 32-bit and 64-bit, allowing the scanners to work with SilverFast or the Minolta scanning software.  I’ve used the instructions below to use my Minolta 5400 with Vista 64-bit.  Here is a quote from a post in the SilverFast forum:

Re: Silverfast 8 for Minolta 5400 and 5400II

by kainanderson » Fri May 04, 2012 8:35 pm

The drivers supplied by Minolta work just fine with Silverfast and do not need to be replaced or rewritten. Below you will find the procedure to make virtually any Minolta scanner work in Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 both 32-bit and 64-bit allowing the scanners to work with Silverfast:

1) Find the name of the driver file the Minolta software installed that isn't working. This is usually in the folder c:\windows\inf and is named DSXXXX.inf where the X's are numbers. For the Dimage 5400 gen 1 it is DS2890.inf. Copy this file to your desktop for editing.
2) Open the file and search for [Manufacturer]. Add ,ntamd64 at the end of the %Mfg% line so %Mfg%=Models becomes %Mfg%=Models,ntamd64.
3) Copy the entire [Models] section and paste it underneath itself renaming the tag to [Models.ntamd64]. Now you should have both a [Models] and [Models.ntamd64] section that are identical.
4) Save the driver file.
5) Now point the scanner in device manager to your new driver file (it may be in other devices and just need to update driver and manually choose driver location as your new driver inf).

This process not only allows all scanners to work with Silverfast, but also allows the original Minolta software to work in Windows 7 (32 and 64) as well. This process works for old Nikons that don't have Windows 7 drivers as well once you locate the actual driver file in c:\windows\inf.

Hope that helps.

http://forum.silverfast.com/silverfast-8-for-minolta-5400-and-5400ii-t8678.html#p32921
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:40:15 pm by dmerger »
Dean Erger

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2013, 02:43:55 pm »

Hi Dean,

Good research and will be useful for people on Windows system to know. I took my information from what LSI says on their website, which seems to be overtaken by what is in their Forum. I wonder whether similar kinds of workarounds could be conjured-up for Mac OSX. I can't get into that just now - up to my eyeballs on other stuff, but just a thought - those who need it may have an incentive to try something similar for OSX.

dmerger

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2013, 03:30:37 pm »

I took my information from what LSI says on their website, which seems to be overtaken by what is in their Forum.

The LSI website very clearly states that SilverFast 6.6 is compatible with the Minolta scanner and Windows XP 32-bit.
Dean Erger

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2013, 03:57:33 pm »

Yes - I just removed my previous message - not relevant. Correct. Don't know what I was looking at when I wrote that, but you're right - version 6.6 with that scanner is compatible with XP-32 bit. It ceased being usable for me when I went to XP Professional 64-bit. Then in 2010 I switched to Mac and from 2011 my mind has been focused on SilverFast 8, so unless I read my legacy stuff REAL carefully, mix-ups can happen. All's well that end's well. Good to know that folks can up-date their drivers on more recent Windows systems - makes me wonder whether that fix could be designed commercially as a user-friendly easy driver replacement fix. The scanner is very good, albeit slow, and a shame to lose it to "technical progress".

dmerger

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2013, 04:22:15 pm »

- makes me wonder whether that fix could be designed commercially as a user-friendly easy driver replacement fix.

Probably not without permission from whoever currently owns the rights to the Minolta software.  (This probably explains why SilverFast doesn’t just use the hacked Minolta driver.)

It’s also important to note that this hack apparently can be used with Nikon scanners, too, as well as for the Minolta software and, maybe, Nikon Scan.
Dean Erger

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2013, 04:27:53 pm »

Probably not without permission from whoever currently owns the rights to the Minolta software.  (This probably explains why SilverFast doesn’t just use the hacked Minolta driver.)

Crossed my mind as I was writing that, and makes sense. One would think it doable however, as there doesn't appear to be a commercial interest for whoever owns the rights - which I suspect may be Sony - unless they have something up their sleeves to keep it in reserve. Who knows. Of course a publicly available hack makes the value of those rights kind of evaporate, no?

John MacLean

• John MacLean Photography
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2013, 11:24:00 pm »

I'm about to embark on a large 35mm slide scanning project (200 to 500+), but I don't think I want to deal with my SilverFast profiled Nikon Coolscan 5000 to do it. I have a friend at a lab that shoots 5D Mark II RAW files with his 100mm Macro IS. He's rigged up a 4x5 color head upside down and sat a negative slide carrier on top. This method is MUCH faster and gives me RAW data to work with in LR4. And it seems to be very sharp.

What do the experts here think of this workflow?

Thanks,
John

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2013, 11:26:56 pm »

If it's sharp, fast, evenly lit and gives you all the megapixels you need, go for it.

John MacLean

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2013, 11:56:35 pm »

If it's sharp, fast, evenly lit and gives you all the megapixels you need, go for it.

Thanks Mark, that's exactly what I was thinking!  8)

dmerger

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2013, 11:59:21 pm »

John, a lot of people do something similar and report very good results.  There has been a fair amount of discussion in this forum about using a digital camera to digitize film. You may be able to locate some of those threads with a search.  If you're going to photograph slides, it's pretty straight forward:  flat film, camera parallel to the film, and good light.  Negatives are more difficult due to the orange mask, but there are ways to convert a negative to positive.

The few examples I've seen posted look great.  Some who have done comparisons say the camera produces better results than typical film scanners.  I guess you could do your own comparison pretty easily.  It'd be interesting to hear about your results. 
Dean Erger

John MacLean

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2013, 12:06:45 am »

Thanks Dean,

I've actually worked on a lot of the files he's shot in the lab while I was on his clock. The results look fine, but the source data (shitty exposed slides) was hard to judge. But the LR4 workflow was lovely! And the price he's offering looks much more appealing than spending months in front of the Coolscan, ha!

I'll let you know what transpires.

Thanks again!

dmerger

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2013, 12:22:25 am »

John, here is an example of photographing film with a Canon 5D MkII and 100mm macro.  Since you're using the same camera and lens, it should be interesting to see if your results are comparable.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=49705.msg416821#msg416821
Dean Erger

dmerger

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2013, 12:37:50 am »

the source data (shitty exposed slides)

If your shitty exposed slides are anything like the stuff on your web site, all I can say is I wish I had such shitty exposed slides, too.  ;)
Dean Erger

John MacLean

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2013, 12:45:28 am »

Ha thanks Dean! I appreciate the kind words!

No, the film was mostly dupes that the lab had gotten from an architectural firm for archiving purposes. My good friend and owner John Weldon shot them and I was the digital processor! http://www.weldoncolorlab.com/digitalcapture.php

I'm actually going to be selling my Nikon scanner on eBay soon. It's doing me no good at this point. I'd actually like to buy the lens and slide duplicator setup with the earnings.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2013, 07:51:49 am »

Negatives are more difficult due to the orange mask, but there are ways to convert a negative to positive.

Yes, and I wrote a whole article about that on this website: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/techniques/scanning_colour_negatives_raw_or_not.shtml From Step 11 onward would be relevant to your workflow from a camera. You can decide which of the options work better for you - and these are not exhaustive. Some of it can be automated creating an Action in Photoshop that will speed things up for you.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2013, 07:58:28 am »

John, here is an example of photographing film with a Canon 5D MkII and 100mm macro.  Since you're using the same camera and lens, it should be interesting to see if your results are comparable.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=49705.msg416821#msg416821

Yes indeed - those images Clair shows are remarkable. I understand the Canon 100mm macro lens is excellent - don't have one so can't say first hand, but even if it produces a bit of barrel or pin-cushion distortion it's easily corrected in LR. In fact in LR 4.x there are two lens profiles for the Canon 100mm macro lenses.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up