Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson R3000 - 8x10 fine art paper loading issue and more!  (Read 5554 times)

Hydrology

Epson R3000 - 8x10 fine art paper loading issue and more!
« on: January 18, 2013, 08:56:11 am »

Been running my R3000 for a few months now using ILFORD Smooth Pearl paper and getting great results. However I just purchased some Hawk Mountain fine art papers (8x10) and while trying a test print, ran into some issues.

1. Ive download the appropriate ICC profile from the Hawk Mountain website (http://www.hawkmtpaper.com/profiles.htm) for this "Sparrowhawk" paper. The site specifies using "Ultra Smooth Fine Art" as the setting to use in Print Settings, but these fine art options are greyed out in my Print Settings. Ideas? Now I may be wrong but I dont see an 8x10 fine art option in the Paper Sizes - would this be why the Fine Art print options are greyed out? If so, what can I use settings-wise that gets close?

2. Ive been trying to load this 8x10 paper into the fine art loader but it refuses to load correctly. It constantly jams or just stops. Is there a minimum size that the fine art loader takes?

Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!!!

afx

• AFXImages
Re: Epson R3000 - 8x10 fine art paper loading issue and more!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 09:11:56 am »

The site specifies using "Ultra Smooth Fine Art" as the setting to use in Print Settings, but these fine art options are greyed out in my Print Settings. Ideas?
Switch to MK ink first.

Now I may be wrong but I dont see an 8x10 fine art option in the Paper Sizes - would this be why the Fine Art print options are greyed out?
Paper type and size are not linked. If there is no 8x10, just create a custom size.

2. Ive been trying to load this 8x10 paper into the fine art loader but it refuses to load correctly. It constantly jams or just stops. Is there a minimum size that the fine art loader takes?
I use A4 all the time...
(Epson Hot Press Bright, Museo Textured Rag)

cheers
afx

Hydrology

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 09:15:08 am »

Thanks for the reply afx.
This is my first time using the fine art feeder, and I understand that when loading the paper you line it up at the front, and the printer should automatically feed it after pressing the OK button. However, as this is only 8x10 paper, its like its not deep enough for the printer to grab hold of it. Any ideas?

afx

• AFXImages
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 09:17:14 am »

This is my first time using the fine art feeder, and I understand that when loading the paper you line it up at the front, and the printer should automatically feed it after pressing the OK button. However, as this is only 8x10 paper, its like its not deep enough for the printer to grab hold of it. Any ideas?
As 8x10 is not really far from A4 which I use, I doubt the size is the problem.
Did you open up the rear (not the top) so that the paper can move in?

cheers
afx

Hydrology

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 09:25:48 am »

Ok I changed the blank ink to MK. However when I went to load the paper I now only received two options - "CD/DVD" or "PosterBoard". I tried the Poster Board option and after a couple of tries (with the rear tray now closed) it loaded the paper, however I STILL dont get the option to choose Ultra Smooth Fine Art!!

afx

• AFXImages
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 09:28:08 am »

Sounds weird.
The rear has to be open for the fine art loader.
I am not near the printer, so I can't check, but as soon as MK ink is loaded, my box shows me the fine art paper options.

cheers
afx

Hydrology

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 09:51:39 am »

Ok it seems third time's a charm! Thanks afx for the help!

Got the paper loaded and managed to get the settings to change correctly in Print Settings (after creating a Fine Art 8x10 paper size). H O W E V E R...

My problem now is the resulting prints - they're the worst thing Ive ever seen!!! Was printing a colour portrait headshot and the colours have come out, best described as coloured solarisation. Tried two prints within Lightroom 4.3 using both relative and perceptual - no real difference, both look absolutely terrible!

afx

• AFXImages
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 09:55:17 am »

My problem now is the resulting prints - they're the worst thing Ive ever seen!!! Was printing a colour portrait headshot and the colours have come out, best described as coloured solarisation. Tried two prints within Lightroom 4.3 using both relative and perceptual - no real difference, both look absolutely terrible!

What does the soft proof in LR look like?

Are you sure you have set CM off in the printer and LR is using the profile?

If in doubt, post screenshots.

cheers
afx

Hydrology

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 11:01:03 am »

Ok it seems I have potentially a serious problem with my R3000 now. I printed only yesterday and it was perfect. Now anything I print with any profile or even the DEFAULT settings (even printing a saved JPEG from the net) results in a print that looks heavily stylised - like an Andy Warhol look. The same images/prints print fine on my Canon MP640. Nozzle Check and Head Cleaning yielded no problem.

In the following image (excuse the iPhone pic) the top image was printed from my Canon, while the bottom is from the R3000. Anybody know whats happened?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:43:07 am by Hydrology »

Sal Baker

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 12:38:40 pm »

Your print is completely missing the black ink.  Have you run a nozzle check?  I'll bet black is completely clogged.  This can happen when switching from pk to mk.  Very irritating because you're throwing ink away for the black switch, then wasting more ink to clear the nozzles from the switch.  You should be OK after a cleaning or two.

Sal
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:40:19 pm by Sal Baker »

Hydrology

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 12:57:12 pm »

Thank you Sal you were on the money! I had to do 4 cleans before it came good. Was having a panic attack!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up