Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC SpectraView II and new Apple Mini  (Read 3540 times)

ymc226

NEC SpectraView II and new Apple Mini
« on: January 17, 2013, 08:27:52 pm »

I'm thinking of getting the latest Apple Mini for work and as an added bonus load LR4 and post process photos when I have time.  Instead of getting the Thunderbolt display which is hard to accurately "soft proof" on, I'd like to get a NEC PA 24 with Spectraview II, just like the one at home which works well hooked up to my MacBook Pro, printing on an Epson 3880/Imageprint 9 RIP.

I've read on the internet about issues with the latest Mac OS Mountain Lion and SpectraView II.  Does anyone know if SpectraView II will work with the Mac Mini (latest with ML) and the NEC PA 24 inch monitor with SVII when connected via the DVI adapter?

howardm

Re: NEC SpectraView II and new Apple Mini
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 08:38:31 pm »

I dont think Apple has fixed it yet but the workaround, for PA series owners is to use a USB connection to the PA monitor in addiiton to the DVI

ymc226

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 08:53:32 pm »

Thanks Howard,

As a follow up question, I already have the SVII kit (hardware).  I'm actually interested in the PA271W-BK which does not have the SV kit included and which is several hundred dollars less than the PA271W-BK-SV  (with included SV kit) which is also not in stock at B&H. 

Can I use my current SVII kit with the PA271W-BK or is there more hardware differences in the SV version that is required to work with the SVII calibration hardware.

SangRaal

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 08:40:09 am »

Yes it is the same monitor and you can use the use the Spectraview II software (fair priced @ $99) NEC branded calibration puck (either old colormunki based or new X-rite i- pro based) or use the X-write calibration devices(either old or new). I'm in the same position and was going to buy the NEC monitor with bundled device and software however it is not in stock at any of the reliable vendors(at least the ones I usually buy from) with no guaranteed shipping date. What I have finally decided to do is to buy the unbundled monitor the unbundled spectraview II software, and the X-write i pro calibration device bundled with both the X-write software and X-write targets. This whole package is still several hundred dollars less expensive than buying the bundled NEC monitor puck and software package, with the ability to profile the NEC monitor along with other monitors and devices. The Spectraview II software is essential to get the full capabilities out of this monitor; however the NEC branded puck only works with NEC monitors, while the X-write puck works with all monitors and devices.

ymc226

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 12:16:14 pm »

That's what I did too.  B&H is out of the bundled 27 inch NEC PA monitor but the chat tech indicated that my SVII hardware/software from my 24 inch monitor will work as well.  Saved about $550. 

Joe Blackwood

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 03:48:52 pm »

I'm thinking of getting the latest Apple Mini for work and as an added bonus load LR4 and post process photos when I have time.  Instead of getting the Thunderbolt display which is hard to accurately "soft proof" on, I'd like to get a NEC PA 24 with Spectraview II, just like the one at home which works well hooked up to my MacBook Pro, printing on an Epson 3880/Imageprint 9 RIP.

I've read on the internet about issues with the latest Mac OS Mountain Lion and SpectraView II.  Does anyone know if SpectraView II will work with the Mac Mini (latest with ML) and the NEC PA 24 inch monitor with SVII when connected via the DVI adapter?

The answer I got from NEC was to use a "miniDisplayPort to DisplayPort cable to the PA"

I had the same concern when looking into using the NEC PA271W with the Mac Mini or the MacBook Pro Retina 15".  

The Video Output for both the Mac Mini and the MacBook Pro Retina 15" is Native Mini DisplayPort output.  What I did not know is that the Thunderbolt port is also a Mini DisplayPort.  
It is my understanding that all Thunderbolt ports can act as Mini DisplayPorts - Mini DisplayPorts can only be Mini DisplayPorts.

There are aftermarket Thunderbolt hubs, does anyone know if by using one of these Thunderbolt hubs you could drive two external monitors with the new Mac Mini?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had an email exchange with Will Hollingworth, Senior Manager - Product Development, NEC Display Solutions of America Inc.  This is what he wrote back to me:
Joe

You would be using a miniDisplayPort to DisplayPort cable to the PA271s, and would therefore not be impacted by this issue. This issue only relates to configurations that use a miniDisplayPort to DVI, and DVI to DVI connections.

Regardless, the PA series also allows USB to be used for communicating with the display, so simply connecting a USB cable between the Mac and display would get around it.

Best Regards

Will Hollingworth

The issue in the above email exchange is this one From NEC:
Important compatibility notice:
Due to issues with the new Mac OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and the recent update to Mac OS 10.7.5, SpectraView II is not able to communicate with the displays on some systems with Nvidia based video chipsets when connected to the DVI inputs on a display. This includes both Thunderbolt (miniDisplayPort) video outputs when using a miniDisplayPort to DVI cable, and DVI to DVI connections. This impacts all MultiSync 80 series, MultiSync 90 series, and the MultiSync P221W models. NEC is currently working with Apple to resolve this issue, which is expected to be fixed in future updates to Mac OS.

The NEC MultiSync PA series and newer MultiSync P series models can utilize a USB connection to the display if necessary.

Customers with impacted systems currently using OS 10.7.4 or earlier are encouraged not to update to OS 10.7.5, or OS 10.8 at this point.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:35:40 pm by Joe Blackwood »
Pages: [1]   Go Up