Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cameron Russell: Looks aren't everything. Believe me, I'm a model.  (Read 3150 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

Re: Cameron Russell: Looks aren't everything. Believe me, I'm a model.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 03:06:07 pm »

This woman has chutzpah: www.ted.com/talks/cameron_russell_looks_aren_t_everything_believe_me_i_m_a_model.html

Mike.

Not only that, but she's well-spoken, convincing, and I wish like hell I could snap her! She also reminds me of Cindy Crawford. I was amused to see her do her walking jump; looks so easy, but try to get that with a girl who can't! And relatively damned few can.

;-(

Rob

P.S. MIke, how do you find this stuff?

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 10:21:02 am »

Thanks for this post.

Way too many people never have the opportunity to be influenced by professionals, and instead only aspire to what they see on TV and related. This has a lot to do why, in this instance that modeling is so widely desired by young women and men.

Were professionals such as engineers, architects, consultants, doctors, nurses, attorneys, professors, teachers, pilots, accountants and so on to have the opportunity to show young people what their jobs and careers are like, many more people would aspire to these professions.

It is a confusing conundrum of our society that generations of professionals who do not reach out have led to a vast disconnect between what our society needs by way of highly trained people and what goals are set by popular media. Society seems to teach people to set their goals very low, if at all.

It is fabulous that Ms. Russell was given this opportunity to suggest to others to look beyond modeling for a career.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 10:42:53 am »

Were professionals such as engineers, architects, consultants, doctors, nurses, attorneys, professors, teachers, pilots, accountants and so on to have the opportunity to show young people what their jobs and careers are like, many more people would aspire to these professions.

They have this show on air now worldwide called "dancing with the stars". Or at least that was what the original show was called, there are a multitude of variations since. And what never ceased to amaze me is that in the analysis of the success of the show, its prime attraction was attributed to the incorporation of celebs.

It amazed me since the celebs in the show are not at all relevant. Because the prime attraction for most people in that show imo was the fact that relatively unknown dancers who are otherwise very good at their game got a chance to transfer their enthusiasm about their "profession" to other people (who just happen to be celebs) and we get to witness both the enthusiasm and the skill.

Similarly there was a show on MTV some time ago, where some youngster gets to switch jobs with someone else in a completely different context. Either one of these persons was well versed in their particular trade and they were set to transform the other person into their profession. Etc...

If they just stopped focussing on the celebs thing, and simply find people who are good at their job and enthusiastic about their profession, a photographer, a pilot, a lawyer, whatever, then follow these people for a couple of days, so that you get enough footage for "a day in the life of...", that would imo make a great and at the same time educational show.

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 11:25:45 am »

They have this show on air now worldwide called "dancing with the stars".

I didn’t know it was shown so widely. My partner is a fan.

…the prime attraction for most people in that show imo was the fact that relatively unknown dancers who are otherwise very good at their game got a chance to transfer their enthusiasm about their "profession" to other people (who just happen to be celebs) and we get to witness both the enthusiasm and the skill.

It is a clever use of the cult of celebrity, combined with first rate though unknown dancers. The clever part is that it puts the celeb in the position of being the student, while still someone to be worshiped, if you’re into that kind of thing...

…, and simply find people who are good at their job and enthusiastic about their profession, a photographer, a pilot, a lawyer, whatever, then follow these people for a couple of days, so that you get enough footage for "a day in the life of...", that would imo make a great and at the same time educational show.

Agreed. In addition, I would love to see incentives provided for professionals to visit educational institutions and talk about their work and their income. For many of us, if we only had the chance to learn about professionals and an opportunity to interact with them, it would provide a profound influence. That kind of interaction would help to solve some problems of cultures that are crippled because too few people are going into professions. Influence plays such an important role, and yet society has moved away from encouraging this kind of influence, except, again for what is typically portrayed on TV.

In the end, we have this vastly influential tool – TV – and mostly use it to sell skin. It’s as misguided as using a book to drive nails or a camera to crack pecan shells.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 01:00:27 pm »

If it's on tv it's news or entertainment (often at the same time), advertising, promotional or just impossible to watch. Otherwise excellent nature stuff also falls into the suspect because so very much of it is often anthropomorphically designed to tug at the strings.

As for professionals giving away all their 'trade secrets' you must be joking. It's by its very exclusivity and by keeping applicant numbers low that the world of pilots, architects etc. etc. enjoys the delightful life that much of its membership does. The more people in the queue behind you, the weaker your own position. That's currently the problem facing photographers, especially in stock. Do you really think these other professions dumber than photographers have proven themselves to be?

Rob C

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 01:55:13 pm »

Hi Mike,

You always find some good stuff! Thanks a lot!

Best regards
Erik

This woman has chutzpah: www.ted.com/talks/cameron_russell_looks_aren_t_everything_believe_me_i_m_a_model.html

Mike.
Erik Kaffehr

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 01:12:43 am »

You're welcome, Erik!  And Rob, I invest far too much time on social networks like Twitter!  Marcia and I have a policy, though... at least 99% of the time we only share things that we believe to be uplifting.  There's far too much 'bad news' in the world already.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 06:45:21 am »

You're welcome, Erik!  And Rob, I invest far too much time on social networks like Twitter!  Marcia and I have a policy, though... at least 99% of the time we only share things that we believe to be uplifting.  There's far too much 'bad news' in the world already.

Mike.

Can't argue with that, Mike!

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up