Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Photography?  (Read 3148 times)

Rob C

Why Photography?
« on: January 17, 2013, 11:31:46 am »

Best reason I can think of for becoming a photographer with your own shingle.

http://youtu.be/RydoAiTkftM

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Why Photography?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 01:31:21 pm »

Or anything with your own shingle.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 02:05:53 pm »

True!

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 04:08:11 pm »

Why not photography?  Or even digital capture?

stamper

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 04:41:54 am »

Why not photography?  Or even digital capture?

Is there a difference? ;)

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 05:06:16 am »

Is there a difference? ;)

Chronologically, a huge one.

In fact, digital photography, to me, is bordering on what photography really is. The 'drawing with light' definition still stands, but the new means to the objective has taken it away from craft and more into science, and I don't like that much. As I've said before, had I not been steeped in the damned thing for so long, I'd not even look at it today with any wish to join the game, never mind spend my life playing it.

The switch from just making nice pictures on friendly materials has turned into talking about pictures and how to use the equipment, and which equipment, and whose equipment is best, and whose the most expensive. Shit, I don't even remember Leicas once having (or needing) red dots to make them work!

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:08:46 am by Rob C »

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 06:13:41 am »

The switch from just making nice pictures on friendly materials has turned into talking about pictures and how to use the equipment, and which equipment, and whose equipment is best, and whose the most expensive.

I can't drag myself away from the impression that this is more self-reflection than anything. I so wish you would go out more with that cell-phone of yours.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

stamper

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 06:23:05 am »

Ouch!  You are possibly correct and most of us should go out more. Now where can I go where I haven't been before? :)

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 02:06:35 pm »

“I can't drag myself away from the impression that this is more self-reflection than anything. I so wish you would go out more with that cell-phone of yours.” .... opgr

“Ouch!  You are possibly correct and most of us should go out more. Now where can I go where I haven't been before? ” .... stamper

Self-reflection? Not about equipment. That generally leaves me cold unless it’s something connected with old 500 Series jewels! I seldom find anything worth the sweat writing about as far as new cameras and stuff are concerned.

Anyway, so you won’t say I’m not trying, I shot this during my postprandial exercise today – just for you. I risked life and limb climbing down onto the rockery to avoid a rotten foreground. Gloomy for around half-past three.

Where to go that’s new? I’ve been in this same little town for the last 31 years and speak on fairly close terms with the pavements. The people I usually avoid because we have nothing new to add to what was said in 1999, which was a reminder about something suggested in 1982. The pavements are interesting, and especially in summer it pays to keep a close eye on them: the dog owners are rather lax – their dogs don’t need any. A sun-baked dog poop, should you have the misfortune to kick it, could easily break your ankle. So, distressed boats apart, there’s not a whole heap going down other than that which tumbles around in the washing machine of the mind. And that’s somewhat dodgy to photograph – at least, I think so.

This is the time of year when thoughts of escape fill the space between ears; but, first signs of spring and the rock’n’roll comes back to replace the blues. You see, it’s all the same thing, in the end, just as Patricia was sort of realising. I think?

Rob C

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 02:21:04 pm »

Rob…

(insert speechless expression of awe here)

You show that the blues can be played on something as simple as a mouth harmonica...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 05:18:54 pm »

Rob…

(insert speechless expression of awe here)

You show that the blues can be played on something as simple as a mouth harmonica...

Thanks, glad you liked it: I was frozen!

Love them blues... oh yeah. They fit me too well - what can I do?

;-)

Rob C

stamper

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 04:38:16 am »

I went to Saltcoats to shoot sunsets over Arran. The cloud was obscuring Arran and the wind was whipping waves over the rocks. A small glimmer of sun somewhere in the clouds but it wasn't enough. Proceeded to do a pub crawl and drown the disappointment of not getting a decent image. :'(

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 06:42:01 am »

Stamper

I think that one of the challenges that you might look at is closer to home than Saltcoats: the west side of Loch Lomond.

In all the years we lived in Glasgow, I can only remember maybe two or three visits when it was lovely there by the loch. The last time was lucky for me, because I was doing a shoot for a printer in East Kilbride making a brochure for a castle-conveted-to-hotel-with-chalets. The sun shone and we were out on a cruiser running up and down getting a variety of pretty snaps of the place.

After we left for good, we did return there on trips, and on one memorable such drive down from Perthshire we took the 'scenic' route along the side of Lomond and it was that magical mix of frost, fog and sunshine. It really looked like something out of a movie. As with so much in Scotland, parking is the number one problem. I eventually got the car into a tiny boat-yard place but the time had passed... I think I mentioned some years ago doing a great fashion shoot up the hill at Balmaha, at the end where the broken-down jetty survived; one of those sunny days!

As a side note: I used to think that I'd find driving a left-hooker in Britain would be a nightmare in cities; the reality was the opposite: narrow raods like that loch one, with timber trucks thundering down towards me, were the true bum-clenching experiences! The feeling is that you are about to climb up the left-hand bank and roll, but in reality you still have space; the power of illusion over fact.

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:43:42 am by Rob C »

stamper

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 10:46:28 am »

Rob I don't drive but I have done the west side and Balmaha. The Luss valley and the big hill above. Also Conic hill. Sailed up the Loch on Sweeny's cruises. As much as can be done without driving.

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 11:33:52 am »

Rob I don't drive but I have done the west side and Balmaha. The Luss valley and the big hill above. Also Conic hill. Sailed up the Loch on Sweeny's cruises. As much as can be done without driving.

That's probably a better option than a car, anyway; parking is so difficult unless you are on the dual carriageway I sort of remember at some part of the Lomond road.

I remember driving up along the Argyll coastline at one stage, looking for locations, seeing some promising things but having not a snowball's of dumping the car to look, never mind for the hours to make pictures.

Guess I should have made friends with the Marquis of Lorne...

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 03:08:37 pm by Rob C »
Pages: [1]   Go Up