Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone received their Hasselblad H5D?  (Read 39664 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Has anyone received their Hasselblad H5D?
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2013, 03:37:23 am »

As an OWNER and USER of a H4 I can tell you I think TF is one of the major selling arguments of the H4/5 and it really works well when you use it right.

I sold my MF system because my Mamiya's AF focus was just not compatible with my sloppy way of using a camera.  So I'm happy to hear that Hassy keep making theirs better. In fact I hope to pick up a used H4 once the prices fall (another 2 years?).

At the moment, I am using Canon gear to take portraits of my kid in available light, and the big problem is *quickly* getting accurate focus while preserving composition The image below is with a $250 kit composed of a geriatric preowned 400D and a 50/1.8, at some horrible ISO that would be impossible with an MF system, and it is *manually focused*.

I've moved up again from the small Canon because I like AF, and I got a junkyard 1Ds3 which by using the my old 135/2 gives me the same results as the Rebel, with fast lowlight AF, at 10x the price :) However, the consumer Canon probably cost me about 1% of a new MF system, and I'd say it still has better autofocus than the Mamiya.

Edmund
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:39:40 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2013, 04:09:29 am »

You will find that sloppy usage of a camera is perfectly fine for TF, as long as you can put the sloppiness into wrist movements. Focussing with the center and doing a sloppy wrist movement is exactly what will do the trick.

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2013, 07:34:11 am »

Not white.......? Slightly off white?

It's silver.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2013, 06:06:05 pm »

Not white.......? Slightly off white?

I guess you haven't held one. If you sit it down next to a MacBook Pro, it is the same identical color scheme of silver and black. If you put an Apple logo on it, you'd swear it was an Apple product.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

FredBGG

« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2013, 08:15:24 pm »

Gee Fred, not sure how often I have seen you link to that article by now but it is safe to say too often. Nope true focus does not work when you move the camera in a lateral way, neither can you take good pictures when you leave the lens cap on. I have not seen you link articles towards ths strange phenomena.

As an OWNER and USER of a H4 I can tell you I think TF is one of the major selling arguments of the H4/5 and it really works well when you use it right.

On the last part I agree with you. It works well when used within it's limits.

What do you mean by lateral movements? Do you mean re composing left to right?

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:06:33 pm by FredBGG »

Kolor-Pikker

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2013, 05:52:37 am »

I guess you haven't held one. If you sit it down next to a MacBook Pro, it is the same identical color scheme of silver and black. If you put an Apple logo on it, you'd swear it was an Apple product.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Haha, if it were an Apple product, it would be half the size and weight, have a retina screen, be compatible with all iDevices, etc. Think a cross between a Leica S, Credo and IQ2.

Actually, that doesn't sound so bad, of all the companies that could have bought Hasselblad, Apple had just the right amount of pretentiousness and disposable income to have really taken them in the right direction.

On the last part I agree with you. It works well when used within it's limits.

What do you mean by lateral movements? Do you mean re composing left to right?
I think he meant to say "diagonally", true focus only works when you recompose vertically or horizontally, but not both at the same time, unless Hassy fixed that with the H5D.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 05:55:29 am by Kolor-Pikker »

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2013, 11:56:24 am »

Haha, if it were an Apple product, it would be half the size and weight, have a retina screen, be compatible with all iDevices, etc. Think a cross between a Leica S, Credo and IQ2.

That could be whole thread in itself - "If it were an Apple product....."

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

MrSmith

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2013, 12:07:25 pm »

H-Blad are taking full page adverts for the aspirational bauble sony-wood-polished aluminium camera in the 'how to spend it' magazine supplement of the sunday times. so they probably see themselves as far more exclusive than apple and are perhaps seeking financial salvation at the luxury end of the market.
IIRC it was placed upon a Luis Vuitton travel case so maybe there is a future mutual marketing drive there?

Douglas Fairbank

• Retired Hasselblad service technician
    • Classic V
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2013, 02:31:39 pm »

If it was an Apple product it would have Thunderbolt connectivity.

That could be whole thread in itself - "If it were an Apple product....."

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Douglas Fairbank LRPS

design_freak

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2013, 03:04:02 pm »

If it was an Apple product it would have Thunderbolt connectivity.

Is that good or bad?  :)
Best regards,
DF

eronald

« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2013, 10:51:55 pm »

If it were an Apple product you would owe Apple 30% of every file sale :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

FredBGG

« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2013, 12:15:00 am »

If it were an Apple product you would owe Apple 30% of every file sale :)

Edmund

Yup... they would suck your blood....

That's it the iBlad  or was that the iBled

andrew444

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2013, 09:55:02 am »

Yes I have now got mine also ... there is often a lot of critical comments regarding Hasselblad on the forums and i can only guess these folks don't use/own one.

As to the H5D improvements,  small changes from the H4D   but when you use one for work not play they make your life easier and that means you can concentrate more on the shot and less on the camera.

design_freak

« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2013, 10:22:55 am »

Yes I have now got mine also ... there is often a lot of critical comments regarding Hasselblad on the forums and i can only guess these folks don't use/own one.

You are wrong :) Many of them work with , or have or had one...

As to the H5D improvements,  small changes from the H4D   but when you use one for work not play they make your life easier and that means you can concentrate more on the shot and less on the camera.

I am very happy  :) If it is true...
From what you write, they were able to fix all the errors. Perfectly !!
Congratulations. I wish that the equipment has been used by you for years.
Best regards,
DF

ondebanks

« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2013, 08:20:08 pm »

I think an improved Phocus would be easily possible; in particular in-situ camera calibration would enable substantially higher ISOs, *provided good chips are used* which costs money.

Edmund, what did you mean by the bit I've highlighted in bold?

Ray

eronald

« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2013, 07:43:28 am »

Ray,

Pattern noise eg. striping is in practice the greatest limitation to high ISO shooting, as I learnt from my my P45+; various tricks can be used to deal with this, also exploiting sensor features like the optical black edge pixels, but the Raw converter needs to help, and may need to be fed with calibration images at that high "ISO".

I also think reading the sensor slower, and possibly re-reading it, might also allow more data to be extracted.

If I may be allowed a dumb analogy, SLR focus experience has improved hugely for us geeks since user fine-focus adjustment was introduced, although the facilities were always there, to allow factory adjustment. The same goes for sensors. It's about exploiting hardware features that are already in place, it's about actually letting the user get all the juice out of the lemon, and the raw converter plays a huge role in that, fixing flaws, doing histogram striping compensation etc. 

High ISO in practice is all about letting the user get the image, and making it usable even if resolution, color depth etc have to be sacrificed along the way, and the MF marketing guys and management just don't get this although the sensor guys do, because they work for the military, and all these image processing techniques are well known and can be dug out of the remote sensing and security industry literature if you have the patience.

Edmund
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 09:19:56 pm by eronald »

eronald

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2014, 09:20:29 pm »

Do people have more H5D real-life impressions to share?

Edmund
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up