Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone received their Hasselblad H5D?  (Read 39659 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Has anyone received their Hasselblad H5D?
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2013, 01:04:09 pm »

On the H5D aka H4.1D you could legitimately expect a wonderful hand-sculpted walnut grip.

There is little reason for H to invest in new firmware and software as long as they are not sure they will have a new sensor. They already have a new CEO, and a new haute NEX, is that not enough progress? Besides which, by the time Phase really delivers all that wifi stuff, Hassy may well have announced the H7D - I know that I was promised bluetooth real soon now when I ordered my P45+, if I had not believed that I might have got a cheap P45 :)

I think an improved Phocus would be easily possible; in particular in-situ camera calibration would enable substantially higher ISOs, *provided good chips are used* which costs money. However this should not be expected, as Adobe's lobbying is harder and harder to resist, and software is a cost rather than a revenue generator for Hassy.

Edmund

I think a lot of people were hoping for something more out of the H5D. I personally, was hoping for better high ISO performance. Whether that means better noise control through Phocus, or a new CMOS sensor, i don't know. In addition to that, i would have liked a slightly larger review screen with higher pixel count with faster processing.

But honestly, and i'd hate to say it because i really love Hasselblad, but the IQ series is doing things Hasselblad should have been doing some time ago. What is going on over at Hasselblad? One has to wonder...

This is more like a H4.1D than a H5D.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:12:56 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Gel

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2013, 10:49:57 am »

I had my hands on it at Focus last week.

I like the look, love the screen.
The H5D50 was what I had in my hands. The sensor is exactly the same at the H4D50. Other than a few incremental changes and minor I don't consider it really any different.

As a H4D owner the only thing I would move to the H5 for is the screen. For me this isn't a big enough reason to jump.

But nice paint job.

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2013, 02:19:52 am »

Just got mine. First in Sydney I believe  8)

First impressions are excellent - the mirror slap has been greatly reduced...

Ben

JV

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2013, 08:14:09 am »

Great looking camera!  I see that B&H has them now as well.   

Kagetsu

• Refractive Labs
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2013, 09:55:20 am »

A friend received his a few weeks ago. I'm a phase user myself, but it's a few slight improvements on the external side of things. He hadn't really had a chance to play with it much at that stage though (Melbourne, Aus btw). In any case, they are out in the wild.

soren

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2013, 12:49:59 pm »

Used mine for three weeks now. I see improvements in file quality compared to my previous HD3 II 39, did a small upgrade to HD5 50.

The new battery is a big improvement compare to the old one, the screen display too and focus is faster :) The RRS L-plate works on the new model too... thanks

You can now also shoot RAW+JPG.... The CF memory compartment is much improved as it was a bit scary to see the electronic card inside when open the card cover door on HD3 II when there was snow or rain

Few things that I am not happy with is the on/off button, it is impossible to use with gloves on  >:(. My wish is to have one of the other button set to on/off instead... perhaps a firmware update? Did they not test the camera with glows on???

Also you can have the "Grip" information on the sensor unit display but you can not see the exposure compensation. When you have the camera high on a tripod and need to change some settings (I always use M-mode) I need to see the exposure compensation for not under/over exposure... firmware update?

Focus confirm could be better, now you need to press a button for activating and then move the cursor to the area of focus and another press on the button to see 100 %. I want 100 % directly on one press on a button and yes it can be centred because I can move the window if needed then... firmware update?

You have bracket settings you can set what ever you want, but how about focus stacking!?? Would be a nice feature, you focus on the front object and then the camera move the focus (depending on the lens) for the next exposure. They have all the knowledge of the lenses and certainly know the best settings for focus stacking as well... just a wish (of course there is HTS 1.5)

Now we need to find a company that can do firewire to wireless so you can hook up the Hblad to an iPad with Phocus, that would be something :)

Regards
Soren

Kolor-Pikker

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2013, 01:29:59 pm »

Oh, come on! Is it that hard to show some pics taken with the camera, rather than of the camera?  :D

soren

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2013, 01:47:35 pm »

OK OK!!!

Don't know if that tells so much about the camera! But I do love the quality of the files... and I rarely sharpen the images no need for my taste

Todays shot....

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2013, 02:23:21 pm »

Yikes, still no 0-point on the diopter dial on the viewfinder :( This is annoying!!

bdp

• http://www.bendearnleyphotography.com
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2013, 04:44:30 pm »

Yikes, still no 0-point on the diopter dial on the viewfinder :( This is annoying!!

Yes, mine was so far off that it hurt my eyes the first time I looked through! The guy doing QC at Hasselblad must wear glasses  ;D I've fiddled with it twice to guess where '0' is and get it right...

Ben

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2013, 06:18:09 am »

I found, it is especially difficult when using the HTS. You get away with being a bit off when using only the lenses (certainly when using AF :). When using the HTS MF is already more difficult, having the diopter being off makes it even harder. How hard could it be to put numbers on the diopter??

FredBGG

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2013, 10:00:56 am »

But nice paint job.

Stupid paint job....

Black is the right color for a camera as it will be less likely to be reflected in the subject.

Also if white had some validity why not make the whole thing white as an option for those that
use it in hot sun.

Anyway the important thing is that they kept that Allesandrini waco away from the design of the H5
or else you would have a Steam Punk H5

Nick-T

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2013, 04:06:07 pm »

Ray the reason the diopter is not marked is because the range of adjustments means it goes through more than one revolution..

BTW when adjusting use the sharpness of the LCD readouts in the viewfinder as your reference.

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2013, 02:39:05 pm »

Stupid paint job....

Black is the right color for a camera as it will be less likely to be reflected in the subject.

Also if white had some validity why not make the whole thing white as an option for those that
use it in hot sun.

Anyway the important thing is that they kept that Allesandrini waco away from the design of the H5
or else you would have a Steam Punk H5

It is not white.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2013, 05:06:57 pm »

I had my hands on it at Focus last week.

I like the look, love the screen.
The H5D50 was what I had in my hands. The sensor is exactly the same at the H4D50. Other than a few incremental changes and minor I don't consider it really any different.

As a H4D owner the only thing I would move to the H5 for is the screen. For me this isn't a big enough reason to jump.

But nice paint job.

Just to clarify the H5D improvements, it's a bit more than a paint job (#9 on my list below for the details). Whether it is worth it or not for an H4D owner is up to the individual. It's a pretty major upgrade for an H3D owner...

https://captureintegration.com/top-10-things-i-love-about-the-hasselblad-h-system/

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Ken R

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2013, 07:08:27 pm »

Just to clarify the H5D improvements, it's a bit more than a paint job (#9 on my list below for the details). Whether it is worth it or not for an H4D owner is up to the individual. It's a pretty major upgrade for an H3D owner...

https://captureintegration.com/top-10-things-i-love-about-the-hasselblad-h-system/

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Very nice write up. Thx!

FredBGG

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2013, 07:21:42 pm »

It is not white.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Not white.......? Slightly off white?

FredBGG

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2013, 07:38:42 pm »

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

For auto focusing, Hasselblad has developed True Focus.
True Focus incorporates yaw rate sensor technology to measure angular velocity via the internal (APL) Absolute Position Lock processor found on H4D/H5D cameras.
It is then able to correct for vertical and horizontal focus shift that results from recomposing a camera focused on the viewfinder’s center focus point.
The H5D provides True Focus II, which builds on True Focus  by adding the ability to automatically compensate for lens curvature.

While Hasselblad likes to call the processor Absolute Position Lock true focus does not absolutely lock the position of the camera. It only detects
changes of angle. It does not detect any forward or backwards movement. When recomposing with a large camera and heavy lens there
nearly always some movement either forwards or backwards.

The addition of lens curvature compensation is useful, increases accuracy but not much help if the camera is not moved perfectly on the center point of the lens.
Adding more focus sensors would have been a better improvement.

Using the true focus recomposition information to position the zoom in of the focus check on the LCD is a nice touch.
Face recognition in image review mode would have been even better, especially for manual focus work.

HEre is a more detailed article on the limitations of Truefocus... by Hasselblad.

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/media/2234814/when%20true%20focus%20makes%20a%20difference.pdf

It is an article on True Focus of the H4d so there is nothing about lens curvature.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:44:15 pm by FredBGG »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2013, 01:57:36 am »

Gee Fred, not sure how often I have seen you link to that article by now but it is safe to say too often. Nope true focus does not work when you move the camera in a lateral way, neither can you take good pictures when you leave the lens cap on. I have not seen you link articles towards ths strange phenomena.

As an OWNER and USER of a H4 I can tell you I think TF is one of the major selling arguments of the H4/5 and it really works well when you use it right.

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2013, 03:02:27 am »

Gee Fred, not sure how often I have seen you link to that article by now but it is safe to say too often. Nope true focus does not work when you move the camera in a lateral way, neither can you take good pictures when you leave the lens cap on. I have not seen you link articles towards ths strange phenomena.

As an OWNER and USER of a H4 I can tell you I think TF is one of the major selling arguments of the H4/5 and it really works well when you use it right.

Could not agree more.
David Watson ARPS
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up