Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Historical and Technical Accuracy  (Read 1201 times)

jaygeephoto

Historical and Technical Accuracy
« on: January 16, 2013, 09:42:09 am »

I have to come clean here and say that I've succumbed to one of TV's soap opera's of sorts. Downton Abbey.There are many sites in which the observant have picked up historical gaffes such as curbs painted yellow to indicate parking spaces, roof antennae, modern watches, etc.  Last week there was a scene in which there was a wedding photographer.  In it he takes a picture of of the bride to be and two of the bridesmaids -  the focusing hood over his head and flash powder.
As far as I know, the procedure with a ground glass type camera was the same in 1920 as it is today (in short); You compose and focus the shot (with the focusing cloth over your head and camera back). You take the cloth away from the camera and your head, you put in the plate/film holder in the back of the camera. Close the camera lens.  adjust it's aperture and shutter speed. Pull the dark slide.  Observe your subject and trigger the shutter with a cable release or some such device.
This procedure is almost unchanged even using today's high end digital and scanning backs with view cameras - albeit a bit more automated.  In any case no photographer is ducking under a hood when he takes a picture.

Rob C

Re: Historical and Technical Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:02:37 am »

What if he doesn't trust his flash powder?

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 10:05:10 am »

Could it be a female photographer wearing burka?

jaygeephoto

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 10:18:32 am »

Hmmm.  I'll have to research that one to see if "duck and cover" were part of the instructions/warnings.  What about the fair ladies?

jaygeephoto

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 10:26:04 am »

Probably not.  It did remind me of Igor from Young Frankenstein from behind though - he seemed to have an old B&J focusing cloth around his head at all times.

But we digress - or regress at this point.

I'm just sayin'
Pages: [1]   Go Up