Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR4.3 reject flags aren't showing in Bridge  (Read 1894 times)

Onslow

LR4.3 reject flags aren't showing in Bridge
« on: January 16, 2013, 02:55:38 am »

Afternoon All,
I have very recently done a complete reinstall and refresh of my system. Win7 64. I purchased CS6 and LR4.3. I am used to using bridge and ACR in CS4 and 5. It fits may way of thinking.

Now with my new Epson 3880, I discovered the joys of printing in photoshop, thus the decision to buy, learn and get the hang of LR for the print module. I have bought the LuLa C2P2S, Intro and Adv LR and Where the (*&*& are my files. I also have the Martin Evening book Adobe Photoshop CS6 for Photographers and the Seth Resnick book D65 Lightroom Workbook for LR4.

I have searched these for an answer to my problem. I am sure it is a straight forward setting I don't have enabled but I can't find the answer. Hopefully someone can help a newbie.

I have gotten approximately 1/5th through keywording my images properly. As part of a shoot I had yesterday, I rated and tagged all of the images in the shoot. There were some rejects. I flagged these in LR and selected all the files in the folder and then saved the metadata for the files. There are 67 images in the LR catalog with the reject flag set.

I opened the folder in Bridge, and, whilst I can see the ratings of 1 - 5, I am also able to see ALL of the files. The reject flag from LR does not seem to be recognised in Bridge even though the rating is. Am I correct or have I got a setting incorrect?

In Bridge, I can use Alt/Del to reject the file and it disappears from view. If I turn on the option to show rejected files, it appears with the word Reject in red. If I give it a rating of Zero, it removes the Reject flag in Bridge.

When the file was rejected in Bridge and then bridge closed, LR had an indicator to say metadata had changed in an external application. I updated it in LR but saw no discernible difference.

I then shut LR and opened Bridge where I cleared the re reject label on the test file.

I'm puzzled. All Adobe apps are up to date, so, either I've got a setting wrong, don't understand correctly what it is supposed to happen between bridge and LR or 3rdly, it's an undocumented feature....

Help please.. ? :)
Cheers

Onslow

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: LR4.3 reject flags aren't showing in Bridge
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 04:47:17 am »

Lightroom flags have never been displayed in Bridge, or vice versa.

Onslow

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 06:16:56 am »

Lightroom flags have never been displayed in Bridge, or vice versa.

Ah, ok then. That explains my problem. I have read the xmp data is read and understood by both LR and Bridge. I had therefore assumed the flags for reject would have been read by both as well.

Thank you for clarifying that.... :)
Cheers

Onslow

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 06:38:47 am »

Stop using bridge ;)  lol

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 06:43:17 am »

Ah, ok then. That explains my problem. I have read the xmp data is read and understood by both LR and Bridge. I had therefore assumed the flags for reject would have been read by both as well.

It's not a bad assumption, but in LR1-3 you could have flags set differently in folders and in collections, so there was some underlying incompatibility with Bridge's model. In LR4 flags were made global, for better or worse, and it's a shame they weren't made to work with Bridge.

Onslow

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 06:44:33 am »

Stop using bridge ;)  lol

What, and give into the dark side completely? :)

My workflow with Bridge is pretty straight forward and quick. I just need to adapt to new tools and find the best way to do the processing. I suspect I'll still use bridge and ACR for the initial processing and then use LR for the rest. I am finding the interface change completely baffling as the Bridge one made so much sense. However, I do recognise the strengths of LR in what I have been discovering this past couple of weeks. They both have strengths.....
Cheers

Onslow

Onslow

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 06:47:06 am »

It's not a bad assumption, but in LR1-3 you could have flags set differently in folders and in collections, so there was some underlying incompatibility with Bridge's model. In LR4 flags were made global, for better or worse, and it's a shame they weren't made to work with Bridge.

In the books I have, I may have missed it, but, I haven't found any reference to the flags compatability or otherwise between Bridge and LR.

Thanks for replying.. :)
Cheers

Onslow

Onslow

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 08:00:41 pm »

I'm interested then to know, are flags the only thing that isn't read by both or are there other things that aren't shared? As I said in an earlier post, I was under the impression everything was compatible between the two.
Cheers

Onslow

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 03:24:47 am »

Stacks, virtual copies, history steps, flags are the main ones. In general, the Lightroom user has much less need of Bridge.
Pages: [1]   Go Up