Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phototherm Sidekick/ Supersidekick  (Read 5634 times)

colorspace.am

Phototherm Sidekick/ Supersidekick
« on: January 16, 2013, 02:07:12 am »

A few months ago, the machine at the local lab crapped out during a move and there hasn't been enough of a demand for processing for them to bring in the parts to repair it so.. yeah. Bermuda is now without a lab.

I've been shooting film a fair bit (yet to have anything developed, but I have a 1 gal ziplock bag filled with Portra 160/400H/Tri-X) and - whilst I know RPL/IndieFilmLab/FINDlab are options (in addition to a boatload of others) I was seriously considering doing it myself ..in the interest of saving money.

During my search for a possible DIY solution, I came across the Jobo set up and then, whilst researching that, the Phototherm Sidekick/Super Sidekick.

Does anyone have any experience with these? From what I've read (and even though it takes considerably longer) it only uses the chemicals needed for that batch, so volume is no longer a consideration just to process things.

Is it as easy as they make it sound?

http://www.phototherm.com/sk8rh.html

I also have a BNIB (direct from Nikon around summer time) Coolscan 9000 which I have yet to use ._.

EdSawyer

Re: Phototherm Sidekick/ Supersidekick
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 11:37:42 am »

Yes, it is as easy. And the time to run C41 is a lot faster on a sidekick than it is in a jobo, as it only heats what it needs, not a huge inefficient water bath. I have an SSK4 and use it for C41 exclusively but could run e6 or whatever else easily. It's a great unit, IMNSHO far better than the unreliable overpriced jobo stuff. Smaller too. They come up used on ebay from time to time, which is the best place to get one cheap. They have great service folks too, very helpful.  Cost is much cheaper (and quality is better) than commercial C41. I am able to do C41 for well under $1/roll, maybe more like 50cents a roll cost.

-Ed

colorspace.am

Re: Phototherm Sidekick/ Supersidekick
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 12:00:39 pm »

I emailed phototherm but have yet to hear back. Found a Sidekick (not SSK) on a forum for 800 and I had sent them a message to find out where the key differences were between SK, SSK4 and their top tier.

Aside from more simultaneous jobbies, any what else the additional 2k will get you? I'm not the most film process savy person so it was all a bit :/
Pages: [1]   Go Up