Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Panny GH3 - Still No Reviews  (Read 9354 times)

RFPhotography

Panny GH3 - Still No Reviews
« on: January 15, 2013, 04:06:09 pm »

The GH3 has been officially released and yet there are still no reviews on the main, 'credible' review sites like DPReview, Imaging Resource or DxO.  Normally manufacturers supply cameras to these sites for testing, don't they?  If that's true, wonder why Panasonic isn't making the GH3 available.  There are a few clips on Vimeo with the production version and elsewhere but nothing comprehensive that I've seen.

henk

Re: Panny GH3 - Still No Reviews
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 05:12:59 pm »

scooby70

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 05:46:51 pm »

This site provides links to lots of GH3 reviews...

http://www.43rumors.com/?s=gh3+review

Vladimirovich

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 07:43:56 pm »

The GH3 has been officially released and yet there are still no reviews on the main, 'credible' review sites like DPReview
why do you consider DPReview a credible review site ?

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 10:06:36 pm »

I'm not a "credible" reviewer but I do have the GH3 and just spent shooting with it extensively in cuba. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will try to help any way I can. I will be posting some more observations as well as images shot with it to my blog in the coming days. Here are a few today:

K.C.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 01:15:55 am »

+1

That's one of the last sites I'd look to for a review that's not biased.

scooby70

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 07:21:14 am »

If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will try to help any way I can.
I have a couple of questions and I'd be very grateful if you could answer them, if you have time.

I used to take a lot of low light pictures but I find using my G1 in low light very uncomfortable because of the light output from the EVF, basically it's like shooting with a torch shining directly into my eye. If I put my hand behind the EVF I can see the square of light being emitted, turning the EVF settings down makes no difference. Is the GH3 the same? Also, how does the GH3's EVF generally perform in low light?

Sorry about the quality of that image, I was holding my 5D with one hand ;D

And my second and last question... Is there definitely no ISO 100? I like to shoot with wide apertures even in good light and I don't really like using ND's and if there is no ISO 100 that may rule the camera out for me as I'd be using ND's a lot more.

If you can answer these questons, thanks  ;D

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:25:53 am by scooby70 »

RFPhotography

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 08:19:39 am »

Notice that I put credible inside quotes.  I wasn't saying whether I, personally, consider any of them to be credible or not. 

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 09:36:25 am »

...Is there definitely no ISO 100? ...

There is an "Extended" ISO setting which gives ISO 125

scooby70

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 09:38:22 am »

There is an "Extended" ISO setting which gives ISO 125

Thanks. At a pinch that'd do  ;D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 09:44:45 am »

And why you don't?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 09:48:24 am »

... I will be posting some more observations as well as images shot with it to my blog in the coming days. Here are a few today:

Great! Looks like it can even take pictures.  ;)

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 10:07:33 am »

I have a couple of questions and I'd be very grateful if you could answer them, if you have time.

I used to take a lot of low light pictures but I find using my G1 in low light very uncomfortable because of the light output from the EVF, basically it's like shooting with a torch shining directly into my eye. If I put my hand behind the EVF I can see the square of light being emitted, turning the EVF settings down makes no difference. Is the GH3 the same? Also, how does the GH3's EVF generally perform in low light?

I will check this later in the evening. I did shoot at night a little and have not noticed anything unusual about the EVF. It's definitely lower noise compared to what the GH2 did and the light output did not bother me at all. The refresh rate due to the OLED is nicer as well.

scooby70

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 10:09:16 am »

Thanks.

I did wonder if OLED would be different to the earlier technology. The chances of me finding a camera to try before I buy are pretty remote, I buy mostly on line, so any help will be... a help  ;D

Vladimirovich

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 12:13:42 pm »

+1

That's one of the last sites I'd look to for a review that's not biased.

I am not talking about bias - I do not like how they do raw files shooting/evaluation at all.

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 11:32:17 pm »

Thanks.

I did wonder if OLED would be different to the earlier technology. The chances of me finding a camera to try before I buy are pretty remote, I buy mostly on line, so any help will be... a help  ;D

I have checked the EVF on the gh3 and have not noticed anything to be overly bright. I have pointed it as a bright computer monitor in a darkened room and the brightness (to my eye) is about constant when I look at the monitor directly or through the camera. I definitely can't make it cast such a strong light onto my hand as what you have in your picture.

scooby70

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 07:17:06 am »

Thank you for taking the time to do that, it's a big help and has put my mind at reast regarding the OLED tech.

In the example shot I posted the camera was just on the bed and wasn't pointed at any light source at all so I can only assume the high light output is a result of a backlight or something.

grzybu

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 08:48:52 am »

Every EVF emits light, no matter if it's OLED or LCD. So it's normal that you may be find it uncomfortable when it's really dark.
But when it's really dark you may not see anything in optical viewfinder.

scooby70

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 09:42:14 am »

Every EVF emits light, no matter if it's OLED or LCD. So it's normal that you may be find it uncomfortable when it's really dark.
But when it's really dark you may not see anything in optical viewfinder.

But that example shot wasn't taken when it's really dark. As can be seen it was taken in a normally lit bedroom and the light output from the camera is very high. I suppose when the ambient natural light is higher the light from the camera is swamped and the eyes pupil is smaller too and the cameras light output isn't noticeable? Maybe. Whatever.

In this normal household lighting level my 5D is very easy to use and I can quite comfortably read a newspaper so it's hardly challenging lighting for the human eye or an OVF. Take the EVF equipped G1 camera into a dingy venue or an out of town countryside environment and with a fast lens I can actually see more detail than I can see through my 5D's OVF but for me it doesn't matter because the camera becomes completely and utterly unusable and I find taking even one shot very uncomfortable plus of course it completely destroys night vision. It's my main complaint with my current G1 camera and the main factor which has stopped me buying another CSC untried on line. I'm certainly looking for an improvement before I sink another penny into CSC/EVF.

Anyway, just for fun... night fishing, Ili river, Kazakhstan... taken with my 5D  ;D

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 09:49:49 am by scooby70 »

speedyk

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 08:01:37 pm »

Great photos everyone. I do not have that issue with my G1, wonder if there's a setting somewhere or if you have the latest firmware...mine gets pretty dark when it's dark. Issue I have with G1 is focusing in the dark with viewfinder dim, wish they'd have put an infinity lock on the lens. I hate trying to take a shot and getting that insipid red rectangle and it won't even try, but then it will take out-of-focus shots when the auto-focus gets fooled by something that moved. It is a bit on the wrong side of the amateur/consumer line for me.

MF is the way to sanity with the G1. Also, if you MF back and forth a bit and then settle in the middle, on P it will lengthen the exposure to attempt more DOF, compared to just snapping. This works even if the it's set to AF, but I half-press the shutter and then focus with the lens ring. Nice touch that says there were photogs around when it got designed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up