Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pescadero State Beach at Sunset  (Read 1382 times)

Matt Tilghman

• MattTilghman.com
Pescadero State Beach at Sunset
« on: January 15, 2013, 12:45:22 pm »

Here's an old photo that I just got around to editing.  The stretch of shoreline along California's Pacific Coast Highway between La Honda Road and Pescadero Road is one of my favorites. It has three state beaches in about three miles of coastline, including this one, Pescadero State Beach. I'm not sure why I like this coast so much. It's not the most dramatic in the area, nor is it the most gentle... but perhaps it's a good compromise between the two. The beaches are walkable and not treacherous, but there are still some nice cliffs to give them that Pacific Coast feel. They are also quieter than most beaches around here, and offer plenty of solitude.

Thanks for looking, and I hope you like it!

"Pescadero State Beach at Sunset"
Check out my gallery and photoshop blog:  www.MattTilghman.com

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Re: Pescadero State Beach at Sunset
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 06:49:39 pm »

I love the succulents that grow almost up to water's edge..the shot brings back good memories. Thanks for posting.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Isaac

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 08:25:48 pm »

I love the succulents that grow almost up to water's edge..the shot brings back good memories.

I suspect that's the invasive non-native "highway iceplant".

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 08:33:24 pm »

Good, I learned something new today...I now live in Florida where we have more non-native species of all plants, animals and snakes...an iceplant might be a welcome addition.  :)
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 09:05:29 pm »

Nice light, good composition.

And sharp all the way through. How did you achieve this?

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 04:27:06 am »

Wonderful light and composition. It reminds me a bit of southwest coast of Portugal, where we also have a lot of these plants.

Is it me, or is there a bit of barrel distortion on the horizon?

francois

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 06:53:50 am »

I love the low setting sun and how it lights up the green plant in the foreground. I found a very slight barrel distortion but initially, the bright Sun might made me think that the horizon line was S-shaped but it was just my imagination.

Bravo
Francois

Matt Tilghman

• MattTilghman.com
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 12:16:11 pm »

Thanks for the comments, all!

Yes, that is the non-native ice plant.  Though I don't hear much talk of its removal... I guess we've just accepted it by now.

Regarding the sharpness, thanks!  I think I probably achieved it just by a small aperture and tripod.  Though this is a blend of three different images with three different exposures, so it's possible I focus-stacked them too, but I don't think so.

There might be a little barrel distortion.  There was more initially, and I corrected it on photoshop, but perhaps I didn't go far enough.

Matt Tilghman

• MattTilghman.com
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 12:18:45 pm »

Check this out!  From wikipedia:

In the early 1900s, C. edulis was brought to California from South Africa to stabilize soil along railroad tracks, and was later put to use by Caltrans for similar purposes. ....[some text removed].... Despite its use as a soil stabilizer, it actually exacerbates and speeds up coastal erosion. It holds great masses of water in its leaves, and its roots are very shallow. In the rainy season, the added weight on unstable sandstone slopes and dunes increases the chances of slope collapse and landslides.

Well I'll be!  Didn't know it sped up erosion, but it makes sense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up