Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR4 and Silver Effex pro  (Read 2935 times)

Woddle

LR4 and Silver Effex pro
« on: January 15, 2013, 05:54:11 am »

Hi.

Is there any way, via a smart collection, or filter, or anything, so that I can have a collection of pictures that have been worked on in Silver Effex Pro.

Thanks

mlewis

Re: LR4 and Silver Effex pro
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 06:33:06 am »

The onl way I think you could do it would be to add a keyword, say Silver Efex, to an image once you have run it through Silver Efex and then you can create a collection etc by using that keyword.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 07:18:55 am »

Rather than put non-keyword info in my keywords, I prefer to add a suffix to the filename - something like Filename SFX.TIF. You can then use smart collections to find all the files with SFX in the filename.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 07:21:41 am »

Smart collections work on keywords too

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 08:09:19 am »

Obviously, but a smart collection examining the filename will only target the filename. One targeting keywords will pick up the same text in other keywords, forcing you to be more careful over your choice of keyword text and how you define your smart collections. The more you overload keywords with workflow data, the messier it becomes.

kaelaria

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 08:12:07 am »

Uh, no.  You simply use 'contains words' instead of 'contains' in the rule to be specific.  It works just fine, you are solving a non-existent problem.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 08:30:48 am »

No, it's you who is failing to see the problems that happen in practice.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 08:33:28 am by johnbeardy »

kaelaria

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 08:33:17 am »

lol ok :)

Try it sometime, you might learn something ;)

Put SFX in your keywords, create a smart filter that 'contains words' SFX - WOW magic ;) 

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 08:51:17 am »

Sure, you can get by with the odd well-chosen word like SFX. But you have to consider what happens once you've dumped other workflow junk into keywords, and have real keywords for airports, organisations, or car models that may include the same text. As soon as you try to be a bit professional about it.....

kaelaria

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 08:54:16 am »

You still don't get it.  'contains words' means an exact match.  So it ONLY picks up SFX, not SXFairport like 'contains' does.  Pretty easy to pick a keyword that would be unique, like, oh I don't know...silverefx :)

Like I said, try it sometime, you might learn something - that's what professional do, learn ;)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 09:54:30 am »

FFS. Look it up ;)

mvsoske

• Mark V'Soske Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 10:08:34 am »

I will put the "SFX" in the "copy name" line in the metadata window, then create a smart catalogue.  I'll select "Copy Name", then "contains all" then SFX.  Done!  You have a working smart collection and eliminate the need to put SFX in your keywords. I do it for B&W, HDR and other needs.

Mark

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 10:20:23 am »

Rather than put non-keyword info in my keywords

John, would you explain what you mean by a "non-keyword"
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 11:05:15 am »

Walt, words that don't fit the IPTC definition for keywords. One of my long-standing beefs with LR is that it forces users to put information into keywords that doesn't belong there and would be handled better elsewhere. One example is workflow information like "SFX" or another is a stock photographer who records submissions to agencies in keywords and then has to take care to ensure Getty isn't included in the keywords of images also submitted to Corbis (she has to remember to untick the keyword's export flag and always generate exports from LR). Other apps, Aperture or Extensis or MediaPro for example, let you set up your own custom fields and use them for all sorts of private data.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:33:07 am by johnbeardy »

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 01:06:03 pm »

Walt, words that don't fit the IPTC definition for keywords. One of my long-standing beefs with LR is that it forces users to put information into keywords that doesn't belong there and would be handled better elsewhere. One example is workflow information like "SFX" or another is a stock photographer who records submissions to agencies in keywords and then has to take care to ensure Getty isn't included in the keywords of images also submitted to Corbis (she has to remember to untick the keyword's export flag and always generate exports from LR). Other apps, Aperture or Extensis or MediaPro for example, let you set up your own custom fields and use them for all sorts of private data.

Thank you
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

Robert Katz

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 05:35:02 pm »

The other approach would be to start a collections of images that you plan on sending to Silver Effex Pro.
Once in the collection if you send the image to Silver Effex and then save it the b/w image will end in the collection
right next to your original image. That's is how I have been doing it for a while.
Robert
Robert Katz
Robert Katz Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up