Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Catalog size in C1 V7  (Read 2302 times)

Thomas Koenig

Catalog size in C1 V7
« on: January 14, 2013, 05:06:07 pm »

Hi there,

after using the new catalog feature in C1 Ver. 7, I made the experience that the size of the catalog is increasing very much.
Even in case of managing only referenced pictures and and medium sized pre view pictures.

Compared to the Lightroom, the catalog is larger despite that 50 time more images images are being managed.

Additional no size decreasing has taken place after deleting variants and pictures.

Are there any similar experience, ideas or suggestions?

Best regards
thko

joshepperson

Re: Catalog size in C1 V7
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 08:43:18 am »

I have to reckon you are saving images to within the catalog? Since you say the size does not decrease even after deletion of files, have you tried emptying the trash folder within Capture One? This can be done in the Library tool by right clicking the trash folder and emptying it.

The only other real suggestion I could give is to not save your images within the catalog and rather link to them on your hard drive, this gives you more freedom with your files, it doesn't keep everything nice and compact like it does to store them within the catalog but, hey thats the trade off.
Josh Epperson
Marketing Coordinator @ Capture Integration
josh@captureintegration.com
404-522-7662
http://joshepperson.com

jeanvalentin

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 05:47:23 pm »

I have to reckon you are saving images to within the catalog?.....
The only other real suggestion I could give is to not save your images within the catalog and rather link to them on your hard drive..

He mentioned "Even in case of managing only referenced pictures and and medium sized pre view pictures.", so it seems that he references the files instead of adding them to the catalog.
Best,
Valentin

Thomas Koenig

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 06:02:20 pm »

That's exactly the case. I was speaking of referenced pictures and not of adding them to the catalog.

For example:

- 2,300 pictures managed and edited with LR3. catalog size in LR3 less than 50 MB.
- 215 pictures managed and edited with C1 V7. Catalog size 208 MB.[/li][/list]

The size of the catalog is in C1 about 40 times greater compared to LR3.

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 11:49:25 pm »

The size of the catalog is rather large. I have a few hundred images referenced in my C1 catalog, and I am up to 1GB. My idimager catalog contains over 35k images for a total of around 3.7GB, including thumbnails.
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

ario

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 11:56:33 pm »

Are you sure you are comparing apples with apples?
In C07 the cash/previews are stored inside the catalog package and are by far the larger contributors to the catalog size.
Ina case of LR the previews are in a separate package and the cash is in a separate folder.
I have a pretty large LR catalog and a rather small (experimental) CO7 catalog and the size per pic (excluding the LR4 cash but including the previews) is comparable.

Thomas Koenig

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 04:59:26 pm »

You are right. I compared only the catalogs of LR vs. C1 and did not pay attention to the preview file of LR, which is a separate file. That's the solution.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up