Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: upgrade from canon 450d to nikon dx worth it?  (Read 935 times)

john_d

upgrade from canon 450d to nikon dx worth it?
« on: January 14, 2013, 11:43:24 am »

Photography with the canon 450d has been my hobby for the past 3 years.

I don't do high ISO and video so I was wondering if there would be an appreciable increase in IQ with the Nikon Dx DSLRs such as the Nikon D3200, D5100 or the D5200. I've been over the Dxomark website which scores the nikon sensors to be superior to the canon, but I'm interested in real world usage.

I'm also intriuged by the 24 megpix of the D3200 and was wondering if there is any other advantage to it apart from the ability to make large prints and crop photos.

From my limited experience canon seems to reproduces skin tones better than nikon.

I'd be grateful for any other inputs that would help me decide.

MatthewCromer

Re: upgrade from canon 450d to nikon dx worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 01:46:52 pm »

No, but the upgrade to a FF camera from Canon, Nikon (or any Sony SLT camera) is worth it so you can stop using that nasty, cramped, dim viewfinder.   ;)

I am convinced that the main driver to paying $$$ for FF cameras and glass is NOT image quality, but is distaste at the exceedingly poor experience of using an APS optical VF, particularly the execrable "pentamirror" variety.

:P

Greg D

Re: upgrade from canon 450d to nikon dx worth it?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 09:09:51 am »

Well......good question.  First off, I'd agree with what the first respondent said - that the only BIG improvement you can make would be to go full-frame, but that was not financially possible for me.  I'm a former Canon shooter, and variously used the 450d, 50d & 550d.  I was pretty happy with the 450d as a camera for hiking, used with good lenses (I used mostly the f/4 L zooms - 17-40, 24-105, 70-200).  I quit shooting altogether for awhile and sold all my gear.  When I got back into it recently, I got a Nikon D7000.  The reason I did so was the greater dynamic range and better shadow noise characteristics of the sensor.  As a landscape shooter, DR was always a challenge - you know, you can't burn out the highlights on the white water, then the rocks go black, etc, etc......  And the D7000 is definitely better in that regard than any Canons I had.  But it's not worlds different - don't think I'd have swtiched had I kept shooting all along.  I also liked the color & contrast of the L lenses - not that you can't get that from Nikon lenses, I just don't know which ones they are yet.  I'd also say that the handling of my Canons was far better than the D7000.  This post would be too long if I went into the details, but accessibility of important functions was far better on the 50d and okay even on the 450d.  The implementation of live view on the D7000 is almost useless (good only for framing & manual focus), whereas Canon's live view served for framing, focusing, judging exposure and mirror lockup (with electronic first curtain shutter to boot).  On the other hand the viewfinder on the D7000 is much, much better than any crop frame Canon.  (This wouldn't apply to D3200, D5100, etc.)  So in summary, if you're a DR-challenged shooter, then the switch you're contemplating might make a significant difference in your final IQ.  If that's not been a problem for you, then it won't. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up