Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS6 HDR processing frustration  (Read 19306 times)

kirkt

Re: CS6 HDR processing frustration
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 09:25:36 am »

The 6d is a new camera. Is your acr/lr up to date - or does LR/ACR even support it?  I suspected it was something with the raw conversion being funky (hence asking you to try JPEGs). Why it is suddenly working, I do not know.  Unless.... When you say it is working from LR, are you sending the JPEGs to PS from LR, or are the raw files that were originally not working being sent to PS?  I suspect that you are sending the JPEGs...?  Even if you are sending the raw files and it is magically working now, it appears that the raw support for your camera may not be fully implemented yet.

So, if you choose a DIFFERENT image set in LR and use your LR -> PS HDR workflow, does it work as expected?

If your camera is not supported fully, then the raw conversion process has the potential to be a problem.

If you have an older model camera that is fully supported in LR/ACR, try shooting a raw exposure sequence with it and see if the problems with your LR-> PS HDR workflow persist.  I am guessing the problem will go away.  I can upload a sequence of 5DII images for you to test if you want.

I do not follow the release candidate schedule for LR, so take a minute to check in the Adobe or LR forums to see when the 6D will be fully supported, if it is not.

The current version of PSCS6 for Mac is 13.0.4, and ACR is 7.3.0.71.  Bridge is 5.0.2.4. I am on a MacBook Pro, with OS X 10.7.5.

You are on the bleeding edge, expect turbulence!

Kirk
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 10:13:27 am by kirkt »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 10:28:28 am »

Latest HDR I made today...

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 02:05:03 pm »

The Canon 6D is supported in LR

The raw files I send from LR to HDRPro are DNG files..  I exported these DNG file to the desktop as JPEGS, and then direct CS6 to use these files, bypassing LR.

Today, I gain tried sending Images from LR to CS6 and get the same very dark results returning to LR as before--the problems continues

It's so frustrating because at least once, the result that returned to Lr was excellent--see post above--this inconsistency and erratic behavior is getting me down.

I guess i will just keep using other software for now

A separate issue is the licensing problem that many others have also and is now well know--Adobe has no solution yet.  I apparently am using CS6 EXTENDED and have been unable to update to the version you specified above, although they are available.

Until the licensing issue is resolved, I think I will give up for now.

thanks for all your help.

Can we talk again later when needed??

MDIJB

mdiimaging.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 03:04:47 pm »

Hi,

I just do it this way:

Select the DNG images in LR
Right click end select edit->Merge to HDR Pro in photoshop
Here comes the trick: I do not tone map in Photoshop, just save the image
I do my tone mapping in LR

Best regards
Erik

The Canon 6D is supported in LR

The raw files I send from LR to HDRPro are DNG files..  I exported these DNG file to the desktop as JPEGS, and then direct CS6 to use these files, bypassing LR.

Today, I gain tried sending Images from LR to CS6 and get the same very dark results returning to LR as before--the problems continues

It's so frustrating because at least once, the result that returned to Lr was excellent--see post above--this inconsistency and erratic behavior is getting me down.

I guess i will just keep using other software for now

A separate issue is the licensing problem that many others have also and is now well know--Adobe has no solution yet.  I apparently am using CS6 EXTENDED and have been unable to update to the version you specified above, although they are available.

Until the licensing issue is resolved, I think I will give up for now.

thanks for all your help.

Can we talk again later when needed??

MDIJB

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:09:26 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 03:10:43 pm »

That is exactly what I have been doing.  the images returning to LR with NO changes made at all in Photoshop are the problem

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

leuallen

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 10:29:28 pm »

Try the free plug in by HDRSoft (Photomatix). Install plug in. Select images in LR. Export to plug in. Set parameters. Process. Back to LR comes a 32 bit file ready for tone mapping. Smooth work flow and pretty fast.

Larry

kirkt

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 11:32:54 am »

That is exactly what I have been doing.  the images returning to LR with NO changes made at all in Photoshop are the problem

MDIJB

What version of LR are you using?  4.3 offers support for the 6D.  Are you using the official 4.3 or a release candidate?  Have you updated your PSCS6 yet (from 13.0.2 to 13.0.4) and your ACR to 7.3?  Previously you noted that you were using 13.0.2 CS6, which is out of date - I assume you have not updated ACR to support the 6D either.

Until all of your applications in this tool chain are updated to the latest versions, it is not possible to help any further - the newness of the 6D is, in my estimation, the root of the problem.

Have you tried performing the operation with an older, fully supported camera as I asked previously?

kirk
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:36:52 am by kirkt »

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 05:55:32 pm »

the saga continues

GOOD NEWS--Today I removed, reinstalled and updated CS6 to the the most current status.  the licensing issues seems to have been corrected.

Now when I send images from Lr to CS6, the returning image  no longer looks extremely dark and awfull.  It looks a little darker than the HDr result appears in CS6 window--i would guess 5% darker but very manageable

BAD NEWS--the returning image looks almost exactly like the Middle image of  a set of 3 or 5 images--it appears almost no change happened--like no HDr Processing at all.  Screen shots are attached

When processed in HDr Express 2--there is substantial change when compared to the middle image of the set

I tried this on image sets form a NEX7 and my  older CaNON T2i with similar results..

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

John MacLean

• John MacLean Photography
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 11:08:04 pm »

If I may, the returned result NEEDS to be adjusted back in LR. You aren't expecting the image to be ready to rock as is, are you? I've been playing with some interiors that I shot -3 to +3 stops (7 frames in 1 stop increments). The file back in LR is dark and muddy, BUT I can tweak the $hiT out of it, and it's looking pretty good. You may want to use some local adjustments like the Adjustment Brush and/or the Graduated Filter to dial in areas of concern.

Here's a video that is nothing new, but it might give you some thoughts for tweaking your files more.

http://youtu.be/V9sREX1g8f4

Best,
John

gadget

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 05:32:18 pm »

Hey Folks,

Jumping on this HDR conversation ... I have questions regarding reduced file size when using HDR. Is it possible to retain the large file size (high resolution) of the original RAW files when processing HDR? I keep getting 72ppi images at 1527 pixels on the long side when my starting 5DMkII files are much larger. Am I overlooking an adjustment somewhere?

Thanks for the help!

gadget

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 06:01:51 pm »

Ha! Just answered my own question ... PS uses the last used image size setting in ACR. It just so happens that the last time I used ACR I opened images at ... you guessed it, 72ppi and whatever image size.

Okay, you can resume your regularly scheduled programming.  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up