Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Scots Got Their Revenge on British Royals  (Read 8668 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Scots Got Their Revenge on British Royals
« on: January 12, 2013, 03:53:28 pm »

Clue: the painter is Scottish.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 11:01:42 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: Scotts Got Their Revenge on British Royals
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 04:50:40 pm »

The eyes follow you around as you move. The mark of a masterpiece, isn't it?  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 05:26:34 pm »

The painter only had two sittings; the rest of the work had to be done with reference to a bunch of photographs. I don't know who the snapper was... Maybe what's going to be the next greatest thing will be Photoshop for painters.

It's certainly made a pretty girl become an older woman. I wonder if it's intentional: setting the scene for a more regal, mature look that's becoming of a queen? One thing I do know: I wouldn't share their lives for all the tea in China. What a sentence they have to endure: no real sense of freedom, regardless of how much wealth there may be around them. Targets of hatred as much as of love. Where do they go to, my lovelies, when they're alone in their beds? Those songs said it all, and who at the time really noticed?

Rob C

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 05:26:44 pm »

Wishful thinking aside, it looks exactly like her. I guess portraits are supposed to make you look better than you actually do.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 05:46:54 pm »

It's certainly made a pretty girl become an older woman. I wonder if it's intentional: setting the scene for a more regal, mature look that's becoming of a queen?
+1. The artist has been much criticized for making her look older, but for mine it makes the portrait much more interesting and artistically is surely entirely unobjectionable. Portraits are supposed to go somewhere beyond immediate appearance and for a subject in her position the future is surely not an uninteresting  place to go.

And to the list of the misfortunes that offset their wealth I would add, at least for her and a few of the others, having to wait for most of your life before you begin your real job.

As for the Scots (one t is conventional), quite a few of them actually want to keep the Royals after independence, but as Queens (etc) of Scotland rather than of a United Kingdom.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 05:49:47 pm by kencameron »
Ken Cameron

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 04:14:10 am »

It's perfect for putting on crockery.

Jeremy

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 05:46:31 am »

it looks exactly like her.
Have you ever seen her in person ?

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 06:17:33 am »

As for the Scots (one t is conventional), quite a few of them actually want to keep the Royals after independence, but as Queens (etc) of Scotland rather than of a United Kingdom.

1. With two ts we'd be oats.

2. Independence. As the small become ever more in danger of the greater shark, can anyone still imagine avantages? To my mind, Independence is powered not only by old, totally obsolete history, but by politics bred of unemployment. What is overlooked in these emotional instances is that unemployment is everywhere, and that the old industries that once powered many countries are dead, almost everywhere. Change to something new requires pots of money; the smaller you are the less of it you have. That which comes from outside is ultimately as ephemeral as the stuff you don't have at home. Look at the car business today (Honda in the UK, recently) and wonder why.

Keeping the 'Royals' after any Independence is a contradiction in terms. How can that happen? There is no way that a new, home-grown royalty would ever be tolerated or financed. There's enough class and religious hatred alive and well in Scotland to ensure that! As for the British monarchy being valid in an Independent Scotland, how come, and if so, why change anything in the first place? All I see in store with Independence is more bureaucracy, more jobs for the boys (whoever they might be) in the new circumstances. Just as was spawned with the EEC. Oh, and inevitably, more Scottish tax to replace the British subsidies. Unless, of course, the new Scots would be happy to enjoy an even lower standard of life than the one some think they enjoy at the moment.

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 06:19:08 am by Rob C »

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 06:20:33 am »

I'd give Alec Salmond his independence - he can have BrĂ²na Cleit in the Flannan Isles, so long as he takes the monarchy with him.

Wim van Velzen

• http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 06:22:57 am »

I can very well understand the desire of many Scots no longer to be governed from Westminster. It is better to have your own politicians to vote for or be angry about.
As for the monarchy - the present line of kings is more related to the Scottish than to the English monarchs of old.
I don't have a signature.

stamper

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 07:18:31 am »

I think you will find that the Germans have a bloodline in there somewhere. Victoria married a German.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 07:27:14 am »

And Liz married a Greek.

stamper

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 07:30:04 am »

And Charles is attached to a "bag of spanners" according to one cynic.

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 10:31:03 am »

Spanners? Nut screws washer and bolts.

Rob C

JBerardi

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 10:37:16 am »

One thing I do know: I wouldn't share their lives for all the tea in China. What a sentence they have to endure: no real sense of freedom, regardless of how much wealth there may be around them. Targets of hatred as much as of love. Where do they go to, my lovelies, when they're alone in their beds? Those songs said it all, and who at the time really noticed?

And all they get in exchange for that burdon is extraordinary wealth and privilege, the likes of which 99.9% of humans will never even comprehend much less experience.

Well, it hardly seems worth it.

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 01:18:10 pm »

And all they get in exchange for that burdon is extraordinary wealth and privilege, the likes of which 99.9% of humans will never even comprehend much less experience.

Well, it hardly seems worth it.

"What doth it benefit a man (or woman) if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul?"

Rob C

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Scots Got Their Revenge on British Royals
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 01:23:04 pm »

One day Kate will old and then gone, and her portrait will be forever young.

Peter

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 02:42:08 pm »

I can very well understand the desire of many Scots no longer to be governed from Westminster. It is better to have your own politicians to vote for or be angry about.

Many of us English would relish the absence of an overwhelmingly Labour (left-wing) bunch of Scottish members of parliament at Westminster. However, it's not going to happen.

One day Kate will old and then gone, and her portrait will be forever young.

Maybe she'll stay looking young and her appearance in the portrait will grow old.

Jeremy

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 03:53:02 pm »

Many of us English would relish the absence of an overwhelmingly Labour (left-wing) bunch of Scottish members of parliament at Westminster. However, it's not going to happen.

Quite. Scotland has both the most beautiful, mystical landscape, at least in the north west, and one of the most parasitic societies as far as the urban, repeat urban, population goes - largely dependent on the bribes of Labour and the SNP. Independence would be great if it makes them stand on their own two feet. We English would be well shot of the Scotocracy - eg Blair, Cook and Brown simultaneously running the UK government.  It's all very Quebecish.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 03:57:22 pm »

Maybe she'll stay looking young and her appearance in the portrait will grow old.

Jeremy

That would be a Horror, someone should write a book!!!!!!

Peter
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up