Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Time To Ring Some Changes - compacts  (Read 739 times)

AlfSollund

Time To Ring Some Changes - compacts
« on: January 12, 2013, 09:59:03 am »

I have to qoute Richard Thompson, its Time To Ring Some Changes. Lets be clear that we as consumers are not satisfied with the crappy digital compacts of today from Fuji, Sony, Leica, Canikon and others. We claim to be photographers and want tools as photographers, not expensive point and shoots.

Is it really to much to ask for a compact that allow me controll over the fundamentals, and to is resonsive enough to capture The Monent?

Ironically its only the Leica Ms thats all this, but one can dispute how compact they are.

Puuuuuh, I feel a lot better. A little sorry for outburst, NOT  8)
-------
- If your're not telling a story with photo you're only adding noise -
http://alfsollund.com/

scooby70

Re: Time To Ring Some Changes - compacts
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 10:33:19 am »

Is it really to much to ask for a compact that allow me controll over the fundamentals, and to is resonsive enough to capture The Monent?

Ironically its only the Leica Ms thats all this, but one can dispute how compact they are.

Puuuuuh, I feel a lot better. A little sorry for outburst, NOT  8)

I think it depends on what you're willing to call compact.

I have an Ixus and it's reeeeeaaalllllly small (it has a credit card size footprint,) it does it all for me and whilst the images are maybe not good enough for anyone who really cares I can often make prints that are better than the ones I got from the smallest film cameras I've owned. I also have an LX5 which replaced an LX2 and both produce reasonable images for casual home use and although it's easy to blow the highlights manage to avoid that and the images look good at A4 which is the biggest I've printed them. Crucially though the LXx cameras allow me to use them manually and when doing so I can take pictures as fast as I can press the shutter button. I'm not really into fast action shooting but I have a shot of a stunt motor bike and rider in mid air, the LX2 was certainly fast enough for that when preset just as I'd have done with a manual 35mm RF.

There are doubtless LXx like cameras being made by other manufacturers too and whilst these cameras aren't compact in the way that an Ixus is compact the Lx's I've owned are a teeny bit smaller than the smallest 35mm compact I ever owned, although they are quite a bit heavier. My LX5 actually lives in a compact 35mm camera case. Moving up the image quality scale a bit the quality 35mm compact and RF cameras I owned were a bit bigger than the recently introduced MFT, APS-C and now FF "compact" cameras although again the digital cameras will be heavier.

My MFT G1 is about the same size as a good 35mm compact or RF and produces good results with the added advantages of being very fast to operate and being able to use AF lenses although again, even though it's about the same size or maybe even smaller than it's film equivalent it's probably heavier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up