Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exit  (Read 3417 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Exit
« on: January 12, 2013, 12:05:13 am »

Was helping a friend move some stuff from her storage shed when I saw this guy on a ladder outside the unit...had to hustle back to the truck and get my camera and was able to pop two quick shots before he came down and moved the ladder. Kind of reminds me of Morgan Freeman in the last "Oh God" movie.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Re: Exit
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 12:47:14 am »

Well seen!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

WalterEG

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 02:24:12 am »

One of your better ones Chris.

Simple is often best.

W

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 04:48:11 am »

Chris,

I don't usually like suggestions on other's photographs, but I did something accidently just now that got me thinking about your shot.

I was scrolling upwards, and the screen cut the image just inside the dark area below the light patch on which sits the foot of the ladder. For me, it instantly made a tighter, much more focussed and less complicated picture. If the EXIT was made more legible it would create an even stronger sense of the guy cl¡mbing out of this world and up into the unknown.

Rob C

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 08:56:09 am »

I dimmed the EXIT on purpose because it seemed to overpower the fleeting sense of allegorical content. I'll redo that part and see it you don't agree.. It was a quick, chance shot but I like it.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 09:30:32 am »

There's just enough of the "Exit" sign for me. Perhaps a tad lighter, but not fully lit.
That's a winner for sure!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 09:57:05 am »

Took Rob's advice on the edit...and it does serve to tighten up the composition...exit sign is where it was originally.

B&W Conversion

WalterEG

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 10:47:42 am »

Chris,

The original works best for me.  Leave well enough alone.  And colour removes the metaphoric qualities that make the shot more interesting.

Cheers,

W

Michael West

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 11:16:57 am »

Was helping a friend move some stuff from her storage shed when I saw this guy on a ladder outside the unit...had to hustle back to the truck and get my camera and was able to pop two quick shots before he came down and moved the ladder. Kind of reminds me of Morgan Freeman in the last "Oh God" movie.

priceless.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 12:03:24 pm »

Good shooting Chris, especially now that all the cropping has been done and the EXIT sign has been brought up to a proper brightness level.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 12:03:48 pm »

Yep, I definitely prefer the second altered version, the b/white one with the cropped bottom. The uncropped bottom just doesn't add anything positive to it, in my opinion; makes me look at the scratches/scuffs and just distracts my eye.

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 04:29:36 pm »

Good shooting Chris, especially now that all the cropping has been done and the EXIT sign has been brought up to a proper brightness level.
Right on!
(When Russ aproves cropping, you know it's right.)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 05:19:58 pm »

Right on!

Ditto!  ;D

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 08:16:13 am »

Nice one Chris,

Since we went for the crop anyway, I wouldn't have a problem with cropping slightly more from the bottom and right.
Then apply a gradient on the left. That way all distracting elements would be removed or toned down. Pretty much for the same reasons Rob already mentioned.

I really like the position of the legs of the person. May have been a spur-of-the-moment shot, but you happened to have captured at a good moment, it now certainly has something distinctly "cl¡mbing out of this world and up into the unknown"...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 08:32:30 am »

Right on!

This is one of those RARE occasions where the aspect ratio of your camera simply won't give you the picture you're after. HCB probably would have passed this one by since he wouldn't be able to print the correct version with a black border and sprocket holes, but fanaticism can be counterproductive in photography.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 03:04:14 pm »

HCB probably would have passed this one by since he wouldn't be able to print the correct version with a black border and sprocket holes, but fanaticism can be counterproductive in photography.

The best is the enemy of the good, eh? HCB would have missed a cracker.

Jeremy

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 03:23:01 pm »

Rob C's suggested crop really helped to make this a much better image. It was a tough shot with limited access to the guy on the ladder. Good place, and a decent starting exposure also helped. Thanks everyone for your comments...it's nice to GET one once in awhile!  ;D

Russ's approval for the crop...priceless!

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 04:42:59 pm »

Chris, I really like this shot (the original unaltered version).

This is a very well seen and well captured image, that most street photographers would love to have included in their portfolio. Shots like this do not come around very often even though we might like to think that they do, you will find yourself looking hard for any similar happenstance when you also have your camera to hand, and you will be amazed at just how seldom images such as this fall into place - in fact I think a 'Bravo' is on order - BRAVO!

Dave

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 04:55:16 pm »

Thank you, Dave...it is much appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up