Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's try this again  (Read 2549 times)

Kanvas Keepsakes

Let's try this again
« on: January 10, 2013, 11:00:34 pm »

Ok ok ok . . . I promise no more "gore" photo's.  Didn't know so many people would be so offended by it.  So just so everyone knows that this photographer buddy of mine actually takes real pictures, here's one.  Wondering what everyone thinks about this one.  1 minute exposure at f22, 10 stop ND

Tony Jay

Re: Let's try this again
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 01:47:43 am »

That is much more like it.

Tony Jay

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 02:27:27 am »

Maybe your buddy should join and post his own pictures.

stamper

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 04:14:37 am »

Member's may be offended because the horizon appears to be slanted and the 10 stop has smoothed out the water in a way that it doesn't look real. ;) :)

stamper

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 04:16:30 am »

Maybe your buddy should join and post his own pictures.

That would be a good idea. I liked your previous posting and it was a pity it disappeared. :(

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 05:04:22 am »

That would be a good idea. I liked your previous posting and it was a pity it disappeared. :(

Oh shit, stamp, just after I thought you did count!

;-)

Rob C

stamper

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 05:32:21 am »

Rob when you were working and somebody offered to pay you to shoot something similar would you have done it for the right price? :)

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 08:52:10 am »

Rob when you were working and somebody offered to pay you to shoot something similar would you have done it for the right price? :)

That's a very good question, and I honestly can't give you an instant answer to which I'd personally cling.

I suspect that outwith the 'art' market - as with old friend The Great Piss Artist or perhaps some doubtful downmarket outlets I didn't have, such a request wouldn't have come my way - it certainly didn't in reality.

Not a dodge: I just can't answer with my hand on heart.

Mr A.     Would you go to bed with Brad Pitt for a million dollars?

Miss B.  Umm…yes, I guess so!

Mr A.     Would you go to bed with the guy at the grocer’s for twenty bucks?

Miss B.  What do you think I am – a whore?

Mr A.     We’ve have already established what you are; were trying to discover your price range.

You see the problem? Maybe it comes down to purpose in the end? Whatever, I think there’s also the matter of where such images are displayed; I don’t read here as appropriate.

Rob C

amolitor

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 09:31:51 am »

A bit cliched, we see a fair number of these things. 10 stop ND filters are used to make, basically, this photograph. They seem to have no other purpose.

Still, it's a nice photograph in general, and this is quite a nice instance of it.

The blobs of dark in the foreground, at the bottom of the frame, I find distracting. These are perhaps rocks just under the surface of the water?

stamper

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 10:38:05 am »

That's a very good question, and I honestly can't give you an instant answer to which I'd personally cling.

I suspect that outwith the 'art' market - as with old friend The Great Piss Artist or perhaps some doubtful downmarket outlets I didn't have, such a request wouldn't have come my way - it certainly didn't in reality.

Not a dodge: I just can't answer with my hand on heart.

Mr A.     Would you go to bed with Brad Pitt for a million dollars?

Miss B.  Umm…yes, I guess so!

Mr A.     Would you go to bed with the guy at the grocer’s for twenty bucks?

Miss B.  What do you think I am – a whore?

Mr A.     We’ve have already established what you are; were trying to discover your price range.

You see the problem? Maybe it comes down to purpose in the end? Whatever, I think there’s also the matter of where such images are displayed; I don’t read here as appropriate.

Rob C

A good answer Rob! I expected you to throw your hands up in horror. I was sorry that the poster withdrew the image because it could have been interesting discussion assuming it didn't get out of hand. As to the merits of the 10 stop image I think it is good but too wide to be really interesting. I do a lot of shooting with the 10 stop and to state the obvious you need a good subject. That is hard because it has limited appeal and good subjects are difficult to find.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 10:47:35 am »

It's not my cuppa tea but I think B&W magazine would go for it big time. I'd also be willing to bet that a series of these could make it into LensWork. The main problem is that this kind of thing has been published so often in mags that fancy themselves fine art black and white pubs that it's become a cliche. On the other hand, this is a better than average example of the genre.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

stamper

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 10:52:58 am »

I have looked at the image again and I would be tempted to use the content aware tool in PS on the sides of the image and reduce the width whilst keeping all of the content intact and I think it would be more interesting?

RawheaD

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 09:25:12 pm »

I love LE.  I finally got my Big Stopper just today.  With that said.

1. I don't see what keeping (or orienting in the first place) horizon crooked adds to the photo.  These Michael Kenna style photographs are, IMHO, inherently benefitting from simplicity, minimalism, structure, symmetry, etc.  Thus, the crooked horizon adds a distraction that offsets the sense of tranquility and calm of the smoothed water.

2. The lead lines i've found to be most pleasing if they are (1) lead in from close to the camera to create drama, OR (2) restricted to one or very few in the image, for mimialistic effect.  When the various elements are away from the camera  and yet exist in plurality, the image loses anchor and hence interest of the viewer.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 11:55:32 pm »

The horizon is out about 5 degrees CC. Big Stopper stops clarity in water...it looks great in some images, sort of sucky in others.  I like the image overall. I just got my big stopper and haven'y yet once used it with water...but oh is it nice with lots of people...now to get the exposures figured out.  :)
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

stamper

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 04:16:53 am »

Chris, the exposures are trial and error. Don't rely on recommendations from the web. A first note down the differences between what you set in aperture priority and manual and after a while it becomes second nature. I wouldn't try some sort of ETTR using the filter just look at your histogram and avoid clipping.Bracket a lot and a lot of patience is an asset.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 08:59:26 am »

Chris, the exposures are trial and error. Don't rely on recommendations from the web. A first note down the differences between what you set in aperture priority and manual and after a while it becomes second nature. I wouldn't try some sort of ETTR using the filter just look at your histogram and avoid clipping.Bracket a lot and a lot of patience is an asset.

So far, I've just used a basic X10 compensation and Iseem to be on the right track. The trick for me is using higher shutter speeds and still flowing the movement of the people without losing their total structure.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows
Pages: [1]   Go Up