Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hy6 Upgrade to Hy6 Mod2  (Read 15961 times)

DHW-JHartje

• DHW Fototechnik GmbH
Hy6 Upgrade to Hy6 Mod2
« on: January 10, 2013, 12:34:09 pm »

Hi
I have seen here in this forum and in several other places that there was a bit misunderstanding concerning our offer to update your existing Hy6 to the new Hy6 Mod2.

First of all it is about the possibility for an Upgrade at all:
An upgrade for Hy6 is possible from now on and you can send us your body for this service to our factory in Braunschweig, Germany! There is no reason to wait any longer, as the Hy6 Mod2 is finished in development. Of cause we haven’t stopped developing at all, but I guess this will never be the case!

Second the pricing for an upgrade:
This is the biggest misunderstanding I think, so let me explain: As EricWHiss posted after a conversation with my colleague Reiner Schoenrock a possible price for an upgrade for the Hy6 is about 350 €. But this isn’t that right. This price is only for an firmware update for one special version of Hy6 and is not a complete upgrade.
For most existing Hy6 versions out there we have to charge more. This is because of the many hardware upgrades that have to be made. My colleague who is doing this upgrade has to work for round about one day to complete an upgrade. He has to change some PCBs, change the mount of the handgrip and several other things.
So depending on your S/N and your firmware-version the price will be between 740 € and 1087 €. So the best would be to send an email with the required information to our service department to get a complete estimate.

I can imagine the confusion about the differences in the mentioned prices but I think this is still a fair price for getting our new product. I hope this will end a bit the confusion going on here and in other forums as well. I’m opened for any opinion on the above-noted.

Best regards,

Johannes Hartje

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
Re: Hy6 Upgrade to Hy6 Mod2
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 12:48:37 pm »

Johannes,

Does it work like this:

Camera bodies already upgraded to V 3.10a3 already got the newer circuit boards so they update is the lower cost of 350 euro.  Camera bodies that are V2.xx and did not get updated to v3.10a3 require those updates too (which include the new circuit AF cells) before they can be updated to Mod2  and so that costs the extra amount.   I was told by Reiner that some of the oldest bodies can not be updated at all.  Is that also correct?  Perhaps if there is a certain serial number or version range that is eligible or not eligible that would be helpful to know. 

When people e-mail to ask about upgrades, what exact information do they need to have?  Camera firmware version from the grip display and serial number from bottom of camera or ???
Who should they e-mail?     Sometimes Reiner does not answer e-mails for a week or more. 
You may as well include the address to ship the camera to here since people may find all the information in one place.

Thanks,
Eric

Rolleiflex USA

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 12:57:37 pm »

I forgot to add, that it is awesome that DHW is providing the upgrade service!   This is so much better than phase/mamiya who make you buy a whole new camera for a tiny update in the DF+.
Rolleiflex USA

DHW-JHartje

• DHW Fototechnik GmbH
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 01:11:36 pm »

Johannes,

Does it work like this:

Camera bodies already upgraded to V 3.10a3 already got the newer circuit boards so they update is the lower cost of 350 euro.  Camera bodies that are V2.xx and did not get updated to v3.10a3 require those updates too (which include the new circuit AF cells) before they can be updated to Mod2  and so that costs the extra amount.   I was told by Reiner that some of the oldest bodies can not be updated at all.  Is that also correct?  Perhaps if there is a certain serial number or version range that is eligible or not eligible that would be helpful to know.  

When people e-mail to ask about upgrades, what exact information do they need to have?  Camera firmware version from the grip display and serial number from bottom of camera or ???
Who should they e-mail?     Sometimes Reiner does not answer e-mails for a week or more.  
You may as well include the address to ship the camera to here since people may find all the information in one place.

Thanks,
Eric

Hi Eric,

the cheapest Upgrade is about 740 €. Because even if you have the latest firmware on your Hy6 and you want to upgrade to Hy6 Mod2 we have to totally disasamble the camera and that costs time and money.

I forgot to add, that it is awesome that DHW is providing the upgrade service!   This is so much better than phase/mamiya who make you buy a whole new camera for a tiny update in the DF+.

Yes I think this is the main part :) Even if I'm a bit biased I think that such a service is kind of unique because it isn't just a firmware update but a total overhaul of the camera. And we would like to have as much customers as possible to enjoy the experience of the Hy6 Mod2 (even if the color stays grey :) )

The most important information we need to figure out if an upgrade is possible or not and how much the exact price would be is he serial number on the bottom of the camera. Every other information we would need we should have in our database.

if you are interested in this service this is the contact information:

Email: m.brauner@dhw-fototechnik.de

Adress:

DHW Fototechnik GmbH

Service
Salzdahlumerstraße 196
D-38126 Braunschweig

And of course you can allways email me via j.hartje@dhw-fototechnik.de.

Best regards,

Johannes
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 02:24:54 pm by DHW-JHartje »

mjon

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 03:37:05 pm »

Ok, now we need a way to mount MA645 backs! :-)

Seriously, is there a chance that it will be possible to use a Phase IQ back on a Hy6?

Mjon

DHW-JHartje

• DHW Fototechnik GmbH
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 05:00:55 am »

Hi mjon,

This is not under control of DHW. P1 has to decide about this. The more users will contact P1 and point out, that this combination is a real need, the bigger the chance is, that P1 will come up with an interface for Hy6/Hy6mod2.

Best regards,

Johannes

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 02:51:47 pm »

I've wanted a Phase back on a Hy6 since my P45+ days back in 2006.  The rotating, tilting Leaf backs have mollified that somewhat--still it would be nice to have a choice.

Thanks, Johannes, for the clarification on the upgrades.

All the best,
-Brad
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 03:01:03 pm »

I also wished for a p45+ when I had my 6008AF and I guess it was possible through Rollei Metric/Trimble for and extra 3000euro.  But two big things changed how I feel.  First I can work the Leaf MOS files in capture one software which was big, and secondly Leaf introduced the AFi-ii which has the revolving sensor which I use very often.  To be able to rotate from landscape to portrait in two seconds without looking, and keep my focus on shooting without chance of dust or dropping.  This is really very important to me!  The ergonomics on the Hy6 are very very good, and the rotating sensor of the Leaf AFi-ii completes this package.       Now I view the leaf credo and phase IQ as being nearly the same and I'm happy that they are supporting the Hy6 with two options.    A third would still be okay  :)

Rolleiflex USA

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 10:15:05 pm »

Johannes, welcome to the forum!

Indeed very good to see DHW active here! For Hy6 system there is thereby online support from both Johannes and its Leaf backs from "Yaya" Yair Shahar in these forums. Not sure if there even are any others from any manufacturers on this forum. It is a good very good ting with this support. Hopefully more people will realize  how good these products are.

Really good with upgrade option of older Hy6 backs, much different from what Mamiya was to me.

I also wished for a p45+ when I had my 6008AF and I guess it was possible through Rollei Metric/Trimble for and extra 3000euro.  But two big things changed how I feel.  First I can work the Leaf MOS files in capture one software which was big, and secondly Leaf introduced the AFi-ii which has the revolving sensor which I use very often.  To be able to rotate from landscape to portrait in two seconds without looking, and keep my focus on shooting without chance of dust or dropping.  This is really very important to me!  The ergonomics on the Hy6 are very very good, and the rotating sensor of the Leaf AFi-ii completes this package.       Now I view the leaf credo and phase IQ as being nearly the same and I'm happy that they are supporting the Hy6 with two options.    A third would still be okay  :)

+1 If Phase One backs were offered to Hy6 it would likely attract more users, and also match Phase One's open system policy...

Yet... per my humble experience I must also ask why Phase One? My Leaf AFi-II 12 is already so very good image quality and is on pair in image quality to the IQ180, but significant lower priced, rotating sensor, tilt display, larger display. Leaf support is superb to me, both locally in Hong Kong by Gavin Hui and Fai & Peter in FounderGT/Leaf in HK, plus by email to Yair. It is not about gear raving, it simply works so really really well.

Best regards,
Anders
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 10:32:16 pm by Anders_HK »

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 03:15:30 am »

Eric and Anders,

I couldn't agree more.  I had my P45 and then the P45+ back in 2006, long before the Aptus/AFi-II's were available.

Now I have an AFi-II 10 on a Hy6 (albeit without a lot of time to use it, sadly), but after visiting Hasselblad V (500 and 200-series), H, Contax and Phamiya, completely agree that the Rollei setup is the bees knees, whether considering IQ, ergonomics or versatility.

And finally even available in black.  :)
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

colorspace.am

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 07:00:45 pm »

Johannes —

Two things:

- having had the opportunity to fiddle with a/the Sinar Hy6 a few weeks ago, kinda wondering ..why is there no rotating adapter for the other backs? One of the biggest advantages of the II 7/10/12 seems to be that you don't have to dismount the back to rotate. Would it not be logical to somehow facilitate this functionality ..especially with the Credo now available in an Hy6 mount?
- is there any word on the price of the actual mod2 yet [either body only, or body + 4560 or 6060]? And if one was to purchase one of the new bodies, would it be possible to have the grip take either AFi batteries or Credo ones?

DHW-JHartje

• DHW Fototechnik GmbH
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 07:23:36 am »

Johannes —

Two things:

- having had the opportunity to fiddle with a/the Sinar Hy6 a few weeks ago, kinda wondering ..why is there no rotating adapter for the other backs? One of the biggest advantages of the II 7/10/12 seems to be that you don't have to dismount the back to rotate. Would it not be logical to somehow facilitate this functionality ..especially with the Credo now available in an Hy6 mount?
- is there any word on the price of the actual mod2 yet [either body only, or body + 4560 or 6060]? And if one was to purchase one of the new bodies, would it be possible to have the grip take either AFi batteries or Credo ones?

Hi,

trying two answer your two questions:

- the feature of rotating back you have when using a leaf aptus back, is a feature from the back. Its really difficult to produce an "adapter" for rotation because it's a deep impact in the optical system regarding focus, etc...

- As you can allready purchase Hy6 Mod2 the are of cause allreday prices known :) :
  • Back only           | 4633,87 € + VAT
  • Back + 6x6 kit    | 6000,00 € + VAT
  • Back + 6x4,5 kit | 6000,00 € + VAT

Best regards,

Johannes

colorspace.am

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 10:44:59 am »

Johannes -

I meant like the Sinar backs (where the entire back rotates in place, not just the sensor inside of it)

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 11:45:10 am »

Nice idea, but you have to look at the realities: the Leaf backs mount with four pins that go into the Hy6 camera body. For them to adjust this as you suggest, they'd have to rework the back 1/4"-1/2" of the body, which is no trivial matter.

Sinar backs are designed to be mounted onto their adapter, which then attaches to the Hy6. Their back is designed to accomodate the spacer thickness.

If neither the back nor the body is designed for a spacer, it is very hard to add one.

The good news is that Leaf makes both a Credo and an AFI (with rotating sensor)  to fit the Hy6, so its still current. One can only hope that the rotating sensor mechanics will at some point be combined with the fast processing of the newer Credo - but neither of these are within the purview of DHW.   
Geoff

colorspace.am

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 12:36:49 pm »

Geoffrey - I have the AFI-II, but I'm reluctant to use it outside of the studio due to the LCD. Was planning to pick up a Credo 80 for location but.. The constant exposure during rotation..

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 01:30:37 pm »

Hi Alex,
Why do you not want to use your AFi-ii outside of the studio?  Because of its hard to see the display or fear of damage?   There is an outside mode, which makes the display much more visible outside, and the plastic display cover works very well and is cheap to replace should you scratch it.
Eric
Rolleiflex USA

lance_schad

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 02:53:59 pm »

Hi Alex,
Why do you not want to use your AFi-ii outside of the studio?  Because of its hard to see the display or fear of damage?   There is an outside mode, which makes the display much more visible outside, and the plastic display cover works very well and is cheap to replace should you scratch it.
Eric

Also I just received notice that MamiyaLeaf here in the US have lowered the prices on the Aptus II7,II8,II10 and II12's (new units) for a limited time in all mounts.
The Aptus II7/9 - $10,990 and Aptus II10 $17,990 and Aptus II12 $23,990!
Makes getting into the Hy6/Afi even more affordable.
We should have details up on our website shortly.

Lance
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:42:32 pm by lance_schad »
LANCE SCHAD - DIGITAL TRANSITIONS

colorspace.am

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 03:00:01 pm »

Hi Alex,
Why do you not want to use your AFi-ii outside of the studio?  Because of its hard to see the display or fear of damage?   There is an outside mode, which makes the display much more visible outside, and the plastic display cover works very well and is cheap to replace should you scratch it.
Eric

The display. It's not so much navigating menus and whatnot - it's just such an effort to review an image with that god awful display. The AFi will forever remain plugged into a glorious calibrated 50" screen, where waiting the better part of a minute to view something at 100pc is a thing of the past.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 03:36:20 pm »

Also I just received notice that MamiyaLeaf here in the US have lowered the prices on the Aptus II7,II8,II10 and II12's (new units) for a limited time in all mounts.
The Aptus II7/9 - $10,990 and Aptus II10/12 - $17,990!
Makes getting into the Hy6/Afi even more affordable.
We should have details up on our website shortly.

Lance

Wow!  That's great!  (Except not for me since I already have one! but i'm not selling  ;))
Rolleiflex USA

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 03:44:11 pm »

Alex, how did the old photogs shooing polaroids manage this?  They had to wait 60 seconds for the polaroid to develop and that was all just to check lighting and stuff.  They then needed to send the film out.  :o

I think it seems like forever to check an image at 100% but its only a few seconds.  I mostly only check histogram and composition.  I have gotten used to trusting my focus.  Maybe if I have a shot I really like, I will view just to be sure I have it, but I don't check often.  

The Aptus backs still have the edge over the credo in my book because of the rotating sensor internally and the ability to enter comments into the back and lens data. 
Rolleiflex USA
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up