Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hy6 Upgrade to Hy6 Mod2  (Read 15989 times)

colorspace.am

Re: Hy6 Upgrade to Hy6 Mod2
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 04:31:50 pm »

Alex, how did the old photogs shooing polaroids manage this?  They had to wait 60 seconds for the polaroid to develop and that was all just to check lighting and stuff.  They then needed to send the film out.  :o

It's more for focus than anything - very seldom are my exposures not where I want them to be.

Funny thing, though - the leaf actually meters like I want it to. I have to fiddle with things on my D4 :(

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 04:35:47 pm »

Same for me on the canon 5D2... it seems like I am constantly fiddling with the adjustment on my 5d2 to get it to expose 'correctly' however my Hy6 does it perfectly.     In general the metering is very good on the Hy6.  I love how easy it is to adjust the compensation and flash compensation with the buttons on left side and scroll wheel.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:07:44 pm by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

colorspace.am

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 04:50:50 pm »

I've never used the cameras meter - was basing it off my experience with the Sekonic L758DR. But apparently you have to calibrate the meter to the camera?

DHW-JHartje

• DHW Fototechnik GmbH
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 04:41:59 pm »

Just a little update: we finally managed it to get our website online in english. But I'm still wondering why you people asked us to do so, because apparently nobody is used to this language and most people prefer speaking german  :o ::) ;D

For now we pushed it a little bit and just came up with sections SLR,TLR and lenses. The rest will follow in the next days.

Best regards,

Johannes Hartje

kmallick

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 05:49:06 pm »

Just a little update: we finally managed it to get our website online in english. But I'm still wondering why you people asked us to do so, because apparently nobody is used to this language and most people prefer speaking german  :o ::) ;D

For now we pushed it a little bit and just came up with sections SLR,TLR and lenses. The rest will follow in the next days.

Best regards,

Johannes Hartje

thank you! I just checked your site in English and it looks good. I am glad I didn't have to use the Google translator.

DeckardTrinity

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 10:46:42 pm »

In general the metering is very good on the Hy6.  I love how easy it is to adjust the compensation and flash compensation with the buttons on left side and scroll wheel.

So I'm curious, how do people find the metering with the Afi backs on the Hy6 vs Credo? I've been finding that at least outdoors in bright sunlight my Hy6 + Credo 80 seems to be overexposing by quite a wide margin - +1 to maybe even +2 stops. Highlights get blown quite a bit, although they are recoverable in C1 (not the way I'd like to do things though, relying on the software to "fix" images that should have been correct in the first place in-camera).

Shooting 6x6 film on my Hy6 I do not have this problem at all - metering is always spot-on accurate unless I make a silly mistake.

bradleygibson

• http://GibsonPhotographic.com
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 11:55:11 am »

Hi, Deckard,

I've not shot film on my Hy6, but on my AFi-II 10, I don't see a one or two stop discrepancy; I consider the accuracy to be dead-on.  Sorry, I don't have a Credo, but hopefully it's still a data point for you.

-bRad
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
    • http://jerryreed.net
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 11:55:47 am »

Is it possible that your back ISO is set lower than you you are aware of?  I ask, because I have the Rolleiflex Hy6 Mod 2 and am using the Aptus II 12, and find that the exposures are accurate.  Oh, are you using the LCD on the hand grip?

Jerry

DeckardTrinity

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2013, 01:10:18 pm »

I'm setting the ISO on the back itself, and it is registering properly on the grip, so I believe that aspect is working as expected.

I actually traded up from an Afi-7 to the Credo 80, and don't recall seeing this much variance with the Afi. Now, I can get things under control if I just shoot pure manual, but when I'm out in the field I rely more on the built-in metering of the Hy6 shooting in Aperture priority mode.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 05:18:52 pm »

Hi,
How do you have your metering set?  There are several options to choose from spot, weighted or full.  Also it seems you can change the exp. compensation for each program aperture or shutter priority, manual or automatic.    Is your error consistently over or under or varied?   Like the others I've been pretty happy with the metering (AFi-ii 12) but sometimes when outside I need to switch to spot metering or to use the whole frame.
Eric
Rolleiflex USA

tikal

• Kahl Sutherland Studio
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2013, 11:47:58 am »

What type of batteries do I use for the 6x6 back? Also is there somewhere that explains what the benefits of the upgrade are?

JV

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2013, 11:55:53 am »

The 6x6 film back takes 1.55V batteries.  I recently bought new ones from Best Buy.  They were labeled as Energizer EPX76 batteries.

DeckardTrinity

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2013, 09:55:12 am »

Also is there somewhere that explains what the benefits of the upgrade are?

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page, I believe the improvements are the items listed under "Hardware innovations 2012" and "2012 new firmware" -

http://www.dhw-fototechnik.de/en/rolleiflex-slr/rolleiflex-hy6-mod2.html

I'm planning to send mine in this week, as I think the handgrip improvements / strengthening alone are worth the price.

tikal

• Kahl Sutherland Studio
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2013, 11:55:58 am »

Thank you kindly for the answers. I am really psyched to see DHW on the forums!

jdabir

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2013, 10:51:17 pm »

I have the hy6 mod2 but I cannot figure how to configure the following new feature, namely,

"Battery capacity monitoring via an icon in the camera viewfinder display or as a percentage value in the hand grip display."

I was also wondering if there is a date for an updated instruction manual.

Thanks

mmbma

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2013, 01:57:11 pm »

I am thinking of moving from Phase to Hy6. and I was told that the promo price on Aptus II 12 has ended?! What's the sense of going back to 31k while all the IQ backs are being discounted aggressively (for trade ins).

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2013, 05:30:23 pm »

Check around on prices with a few dealers and make sure you are asking for an AFi-ii 12 not Aptus 12.  I'm sure you will not have to pay that price.  I'd expect you to be able to find one in the low $20's.
Rolleiflex USA

DeckardTrinity

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2013, 11:24:38 pm »

I have the hy6 mod2 but I cannot figure how to configure the following new feature, namely,

"Battery capacity monitoring via an icon in the camera viewfinder display or as a percentage value in the hand grip display."

I was also wondering if there is a date for an updated instruction manual.

Thanks

I just received my Hy6 Mod2 back from Germany today!  ;D  So far everything seems as it should - the grip definitely feels a bit tighter, the dial which selects Aperture was fixed (it was not registering properly on my camera, they fixed that under warranty), and I do see the battery % in the grip - for that just navigate to the Status screen on the handgrip menu. The second item in the list is now Battery Charge (and is fluctuating a bit between 40% and 50% for me right now). The icon in the viewfinder does show a partial now when not full, not sure what the difference is there (never really paid much attention to it before).

The mirror slap also doesn't sound very different from before, so I will need to do some tests with the extension tubes shooting some macro scenes to see how much improvement there is. All in all though, it feels like I just bought a brand new camera for a fraction of retail price. :)

DeckardTrinity

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2013, 11:30:00 pm »

Same for me on the canon 5D2... it seems like I am constantly fiddling with the adjustment on my 5d2 to get it to expose 'correctly' however my Hy6 does it perfectly.     In general the metering is very good on the Hy6.  I love how easy it is to adjust the compensation and flash compensation with the buttons on left side and scroll wheel.

You know... after being forced back to using my 5D2 for the last few weeks, I've now noticed exactly what you're talking about. I'm always finding myself dialing in +1/3, +2/3, etc, for each and every scene I want to shoot. At least on the Hy6 and film I've never had a problem with the metering. Credo back I'm still working on, but am much more motivated to get out and shoot some landscapes now that the weather is starting to warm up.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up