Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripods for MF  (Read 4379 times)

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
Tripods for MF
« on: January 09, 2013, 07:54:27 am »

I'm looking for a new camera stand, the one i have is just decent and once i get my MF camera it will certainly be too weak. Do you have any personal recommendations?

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: Tripods for MF
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 09:17:27 am »

Camera stand or Tripod?

For tripod, consider a stable carbon fiber platform from Gitzo or the new TVC tripods from Really Right Stuff.  Both are excellent (I have both) but I prefer the RRS tripods.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 10:17:00 am »

+1 to Ken's comments,

I have the older RRS Carbon, early 2012 model, and love it.  Twist lock on the legs can be a bit tricky, in that I have over tightened them and cracked the spacer.  RRS took care of that. 
It's also a reminder, if you use the RRS or Gitzo in water, there are no drain holes, so make sure you take the tripod apart at some time and let the water drain out.  This is very easy to
do with the RRS units.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 01:24:09 pm »

I can very highly recommend the Feisol CT-3472. In fact, when I had to replace my ageing Gitzo, I chose it over a new Gitzo. It is rated at 27lbs, and supports a Fuji GX680 without problems. The quality is top-notch, the base is made of aluminium, the twist locks lock tightly without problems. I cannot say anything about long-term reliability, but so far it is looking good.
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

Bruce MacNeil

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 03:12:02 pm »

Gitzo is terrific and the basic gold standard. I tend to avoid RRS products because the owner funds efforts undermining human rights in the US.
Bruce MacNeil PhD; M. Div.; M.Fol.

rolleiflexpages

• http://www.rolleiflexpages.com
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 03:57:06 pm »

Based on advice received on this forum about a year ago I went for the Gitzo Traveler Kit Serie 2 Carbon 6X as I was looking for a compact and lightweight, yet sturdy enough, tripod for use "on the road". Expensive but it is a good compromise between size, weight and usability.
Pascal
Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com

tho_mas

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 04:32:40 pm »

everyone will always recommend Gitzos. rightly so as they are very, very good.
But Carbon tripods have been developed to make a good compromise between stabilty (shake-free rigidity) and lightweight (for outdoor use / traveling).
It's still exactly that: a compromise.
Wood damps vibration much faster (and better) than Carbon.
In a studio: heavy wood (or a studio stand).
Outdoor: well, me personally I almost always favour one of my "light" wood tripods over the carbon I also have (it's a large Induro CT tripod).
Shooting my Contax with MLU on the Carbon tripod (fully extended) to get shake-free captures I have to use either the 10'' self timer or a cable release and wait at least 5-6 seconds before I release the shutter. On a wood tripod I use the 2'' self timer all the time without issues.

FredBGG

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 08:24:25 pm »

everyone will always recommend Gitzos. rightly so as they are very, very good.
But Carbon tripods have been developed to make a good compromise between stabilty (shake-free rigidity) and lightweight (for outdoor use / traveling).
It's still exactly that: a compromise.
Wood damps vibration much faster (and better) than Carbon.
In a studio: heavy wood (or a studio stand).
Outdoor: well, me personally I almost always favour one of my "light" wood tripods over the carbon I also have (it's a large Induro CT tripod).
Shooting my Contax with MLU on the Carbon tripod (fully extended) to get shake-free captures I have to use either the 10'' self timer or a cable release and wait at least 5-6 seconds before I release the shutter. On a wood tripod I use the 2'' self timer all the time without issues.

+1

When you have a camera with a big mirror and big shutters a heavy tripod will kill vibration more.
Also a realy nice tripod head for MF is the Fatif field tripod head. Nice long grips with very nice lock action.
I've been through a few MF system changes, but stayed with the Fatif head all the time.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8063/8194451108_3d43cdc06c_c.jpg

It's beefy enough for even an 8x10 camera.

Not saying light tripods are out of the question, but nothing beats a big old clunker or a tripod for image quality.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:32:06 pm by FredBGG »

rolleiflexpages

• http://www.rolleiflexpages.com
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 10:41:44 am »

If weight does not matter, then the wooden tripods of Berlebach, "made in Germany", are great.
http://www.berlebach.de

Pascal
Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com

artobest

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 11:32:54 am »

If weight does not matter, then the wooden tripods of Berlebach, "made in Germany", are great.
http://www.berlebach.de

Pascal

+1. And really nice objects in their own right.

Lacunapratum

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 08:02:18 pm »

As they say in South Africa - mad cows and Englishmen...

dizzyg44

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 09:43:44 pm »

I highly recommend the Sirui 3204...Light, super strong, great features, one of the legs even removed to be used as a monopod....

My idiot brother even fully extended it and hung himself from underneath it, full weight (not that I recommend it)....
Pages: [1]   Go Up