Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do Rollei AFD lenses work on 6008 AF?  (Read 3122 times)

kmallick

Do Rollei AFD lenses work on 6008 AF?
« on: January 08, 2013, 01:00:42 pm »

This seems to be a controversial topic. Hopefully someone who has an AFD lens and a Rollei 6008 AF can help answer.
The newer Rollei AFD lens do not have the aperture ring and were designed primarily for the Hy6/AFi platform. But do these AFD lenses work on the 6008AF at least in auto aperture and shutter priority mode? Will they autofocus properly?

DHW-JHartje

• DHW Fototechnik GmbH
Re: Do Rollei AFD lenses work on 6008 AF?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 03:21:10 am »

Hi kmallick,

I can tell you I have both here in my office, AFD-Lenses and 6008AF. They do work together but just in auto aperture. Autofocus works just fine. You could even use these lenses on 6008 Int2 but just with auto aperture and manul focusing. So in my opinion it is both a bit like driving a 20 year old VW polo and using the best and of course high priced wheels on it.  :)

May I ask why you wanted to know? I guess you allready have an 6008Af and AF or PQ(S) lenses? Do you consider to buy AFD? Do you want to use this combo for longer time or do you want to change to hy6 in the near future? Then I would consider doing it the other way round. Because you can use all of your older AF-lenses and many of the older pq and pqs-lenses on the new system and won't loose any working-opportunity.

Let me have your ideas on that and I will try to help you further more :)

Best regards,

Johannes Hartje
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 04:28:11 am by DHW-JHartje »

kmallick

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 11:09:36 am »

Johannes
Thanks for the response. We all appreciate you being here on the forum for us.
Its good to know that the AFD lenses will work on the 6008AF. Some of the lenses like the Super Angulon 50 are hard to come by in the AF version (with aperture ring). But the AFD version is more easily found both in the new and used market. Currently I am using the 6008AF, however sooner or later I might upgrade to the Hy6 or Afi. Based on your advice I feel comfortable in getting the AFD lens.
Thanks again.

DHW-JHartje

• DHW Fototechnik GmbH
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 11:22:06 am »

Hi kmallick,

I love to help:) Feel free to contact me at any time. If you are searching for some products and could not find them in the internet just consider contacting us directly we're shipping world wide:)

best regards

Johannes

Lacunapratum

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 01:18:32 am »

Well - any chance you want to elaborate on the 35mm?  Looks like it's not coming after all.  Too expensive to manufacture?  Image quality?  Any chance DHW would change their mind? 

DHW-JHartje

• DHW Fototechnik GmbH
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 04:55:53 am »

Well - any chance you want to elaborate on the 35mm?  Looks like it's not coming after all.  Too expensive to manufacture?  Image quality?  Any chance DHW would change their mind? 

Hi Lacunapratum,

the concept for this lense is allready done :) this is the good news:) At the moment we're analysing the market if there will be an ROI when manufacturing this lense, because as you might know such a lense is very expensive in manufacturing. So the question is, which price would be affordable for an enduser.

Concerning the image quality: I think customers who know our lenses won't be disappointed

Best regards,

Johannes Hartje

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 11:48:49 am »

Hi Johannes,
Thomas asked the question I was thinking about too.... the 35mm.   I understand the business decision  - would there be enough buyers to make financial sense, and how does the price affect the number of potential buyers.   There was a discussion about the 35mm in the past here and a number of members posted that they would buy one, but no one had an idea about what the price would be.   I think this would be a useful focal length, and I would most likely buy one were DHW to offer it for sale provided that it were priced similarly to the other lenses currently offered by DHW.
Regards,
Eric
Rolleiflex USA

rolleiflexpages

• http://www.rolleiflexpages.com
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 04:28:16 pm »

+1

Pascal
Pascal Heyman - www.rolleiflexpages.com

Lacunapratum

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 11:11:47 pm »

I was expecting something in the $5-10K range, probably 10K, to be realistic.  The Pentax 25mm is $5K and I got one.  It's excellent and I don't regret the decision. 

Why does such a lens make sense?  Without it, IMHO, the system remains incomplete.  Currently, I take care of my wide angle needs with a 24mm XL on a Horseman, which I have mounted with a separate back.  It's probably better than the 35mm would be, at least in terms of sharpness, but it is simply an ordeal to carry an additional body with an additional back around, where a single lens would be almost as good. 

I do have the 40mm, which is a very nice lens, but often a little short.  In the wide angle arena, 5mm is a lot.  The 40 is also manual focus, which is o.k., but a set with 35, 50, 80, 180mm AFDs would be very nice.  I do understand the reluctance to invest in the telephoto range, which is less competitive when compared to full frame 35mm digital.  However, in the MFD realm, wide angles are different and somewhat essential for landscapes and products.  The rest of the pack also invested heavily in wide angles, Hasselblad, Leica, Phase, Schneider, Pentax.  For Pentax it was one of their priorities.  In the case of DHW, I am not talking 24mm, 25mm.  But I do think a 35mm would at least open some of that range up for Rollei users. 

DHW-JHartje

• DHW Fototechnik GmbH
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 05:29:49 am »

Hi all,

we are still aware of the fact that this is a lens, our customers are really interested in and we're still devoloping ideas to realize this project because we would love to have in our productrange. But as allready stated, it isn't that easy.

I will try to keep you up to date as much as possible.

Best regards,

Johannes Hartje
Pages: [1]   Go Up