Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting ready for a show - whew!  (Read 1080 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Getting ready for a show - whew!
« on: January 08, 2013, 11:15:56 am »

I thought photography was supposed to be fun! I am preparing to hang a 30-print show this Saturday and (as usual) I have put things off. This week is a whirlwind of printing, trimming, varnishing, and stretching. It's my first show with canvas prints, too, so I am learning as I go along. The house is cluttered with drying prints (photo) and what's worse, the smell of the varnish gives my wife a headache. But, it'll be worth it in the end (I hope!).

SunnyUK

Re: Getting ready for a show - whew!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 11:23:55 am »

Congratulations! I hope that once it's all over, you'll look back at it with pride as a generally pleasant experience.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 12:50:15 pm »

Heh, I’m doing about the same thing. My place looks similar but worse. If I didn’t know better I would think I have some serious hording related issues.  ::)

BTW I use some fabricated storage shelves made of my pro panel stiffeners, some chairs, a few beds, plus lots of mighty core to store the canvas off the ground and everything else while curing. This gets the canvas away from dust and hairs that seem to find a home…..everywhere.

BTW that room looks awesome!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 01:00:51 pm »

Interesting edge technique... you mirror the edge AND darken it? Never seen it before, but I think I would like it.

RFPhotography

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 02:02:11 pm »

I've got a tutorial on my website on canvas extension.  In my case I lighten it, but you could easily darken as well.

Nice looking prints, Peter.  Good luck with the show.

Just as an FYI, the aqueous coatings work well and don't have the smell or toxic fumes.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 02:36:20 pm »

Mirroring the edge and darkening it is an option in the Perfect Resize plug-in. I am new to canvas printing, and this seemed like a good approach - the edges would not be totally separate from the image itself, but would be less prominent. We shall see! Of course it requires precise alignment of the canvas with the stretcher bars, that's tomorrow's task.
Pages: [1]   Go Up