Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-series and Canon CR2 Raw Processing  (Read 1380 times)

The Armenian

Fuji X-series and Canon CR2 Raw Processing
« on: January 08, 2013, 11:14:21 am »

I am a full frame Canon shooter, RAW format exclusively. I am now considering buying into the Fuji X-system (with X-E1 and X-20). However I continue to read that Lightroom is unable to process Fuji's X Raw files to their optimum potential. I would like to hear about Forum contributors actual comparative experience of processing RAW files from Canon (CR2) and Fuji X cameras in Lightroom 4. Since this is the critical impediment buying into X system, I hope Forum readers can clarify the situation for me.
Thanks in Advance for your responses.
Vartkes
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:21:34 am by The Armenian »

rcg

Re: Fuji X-series and Canon CR2 Raw Processing
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 03:07:29 pm »

Short answer: Get the X-E1. Long Answer: First day on vacation in Maui in early December my trusty 5DII died (mirror box replaced subsequently). Like a fool, I left my second 5D body home (to save weight!). Having read about the Fuji and having a very understanding wife, I ordered the X-E1, the kit zoom and the 35mm shipped next day (well, almost next day). Background: I've been doing photography rather seriously for 50+ years and will get good at it one of these days. As soon as I held the Fuji I was reminded of my Leica M6 sitting in a drawer back in Wisconsin. I started taking pictures -- the thing is small and light, so it will take some getting used to. But, the knobs are all in the right place for the most part. After an afternoon, I had most things figured out. It doesn't focus as fast as the 5DII, but fast enough (I don't move as fast as I once did either). I shot RAW+JPG and looked at the images in the camera and was impressed. Mostly shot landscape stuff -- about 900 images in 10 days. When I got back to Wisconsin I started looking at stuff in LR4.3. Very impressive. The blogs say the camera isn't a good choice for landscape, but when I compared 13x19 prints to D2II landscape prints it was hard to tell the difference. The Fuji requires a lot of sharpening in LR.  Fuji has a lot of shadow detail and holds up well with high ISO. Then I participated in the Capture One beta test of the raw engine for the Fuji. Capture One asks that you agree to a NDA, so there is little detail that I think I can say other than the results are STUNNING. I've done prints  with it -- 13x19 on paper and ordered prints on metal and they are just great. A photographer friend said that it looks like you can "walk into the prints." Not sure when Capture One will be released with full X-trans support. Oh, with an adapter, the Fuji uses my Leica lenses! Hard to describe, but the darn thing feels like a camera, too. Hope this helps.

The Armenian

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 03:42:44 pm »

Thank you for your feedback. In fact what you describe is extremely helpful!

rcg

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 04:12:23 pm »

An experienced eye can tell the difference between the two software programs. in LR -- the X-trans images are more "painterly". But in C1 the images have more depth, detail and are just more dynamic. I've just ordered a couple 20x30 prints (beyond the capacity of my R3000 printer) to see if the images break apart. I've been exporting images out of C1 as tiff files (big, very big) into LR to print. I just know LR better, I'm sure C1 is just as good, its just that my fingers know LR. Very, very little manipulation/correction needed in LR -- no sharpening at all in LR, almost none in C1 (just default settings). It will be interesting to see what LR does in the months ahead.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 12:56:51 am »

I would tend to agree with rcg on most all points. I prefer the X-Pro 1, I have had it almost as long as it has been out. I recently bought the X-E1 with the 18-55mm lens for my wife, it is a great camera, but I like the slightly larger size of the X-Pro 1. Both are great cameras, image quality is superb as is the Fuji glass. Zeiss will be releasing autofocus lenses for the X-Mount starting in the spring. I also agree with his assessment of the two raw converters. I think once C1 is released it will be a good thing to have, it may force Adobe to step up and fix their implementation soon. Or it may be they are waiting for the next release of Lightroom to release the updated support, no one knows. On the Adobe forums they have indicated they are aware of issues. I still have my Canon gear but I am finding I am using the Fuji a lot more, and it has sparked my photography with a nice boost.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up