Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP3 Merrill Experiences  (Read 280256 times)

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
Re: Sigma DP3 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #180 on: April 06, 2013, 05:36:19 pm »

Well, this thread has certainly gone quiet after the recent 'incident'.................(sound of crickets chirping in the dark).  ;)

I'm here but I am occupied with my workshop. We did some nice takes today it was just wonderful. Will post some later I'm dead, we did between 25 and 30 km of climbing ... no courage for SPP tonight. (And the incident is closed).
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Rob C

« Reply #181 on: April 07, 2013, 09:42:48 am »

gmanth

« Reply #182 on: April 07, 2013, 01:50:41 pm »

This 50% for 3XF

25% for jpg

3XF to TIFF edit tone in ps

urbanpicasso

• davidbogdan/urbanpicassostudios
« Reply #183 on: April 07, 2013, 09:01:42 pm »

Great minds etc...

;-)

Rob C

Ha Ha.... excellent! ;D
db

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #184 on: April 07, 2013, 09:26:49 pm »

... edit tone in ps..

No woman deserves that ;)

Rob C

« Reply #185 on: April 08, 2013, 03:43:14 am »

No woman deserves that ;)

Nor all monitors are calibrated equally well.

;-)

Rob C

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #186 on: April 10, 2013, 03:21:41 pm »

I'm still getting used to this camera and have a couple of questions.

The DP2M needed a bit of positive exposure compensation - +.3 to +.7   I am finding just the opposite on the DP3M, these shots seem to come out of the camera overexposed.   Is anyone else experiencing the same and if yes, how are you compensating for it?

I am also finding that both cameras are using the same filename convention.   This is wrecking havoc on my storage as I've overwritten some old files before I realized what was happening.   How can I change the file name on one of the cameras so as to avoid this problem?

Last, when I send the TIFF files to LR the metadata often gets the date/time stamp wrong.  I sort by capture time but find outlayers that have drastically different time and dates.   I have my LR library set by date so I am losing track of where it stores images.   I find this strange and a bug that Sigma needs to fix but my personal track record is no better as it could be a case of user error.   Has anyone else encountered this?

Last last, I'm not convinced that skin tones are markedly improved over the 2M, I still get a yellowish hue that I have to adjust.
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

uvl

• My flickr
« Reply #187 on: April 10, 2013, 05:11:08 pm »

Adam,
Just a quick reply concerning file names and time: The DPMerrill cameras seem to loose time information when the battery is empty or missing for a longer time. One needs to check system time from time to time if that happens. You cannot change the file name in camera but you can restart the number count from whatever number you want by putting a renamed x3f-file on your card. RTFM!
IMHO (automatic) renaming is better done on downloading. Most programs are able to rename your files on download. I use the following renaming scheme:
- prepend initials
- cut off all letters (SDIM, DSC ...) and leave number as is
- append date and time (yyyy-mm-dd-time)
- append camera model (DPxMx or whatever I want)
- reuse file ending (.x3f and .jpg)
A downloaded picture's name looks like this: UvL-8345-2013-04-08-DP2M1.x3f (or .jpg)

Uwe 8-)

urbanpicasso

• davidbogdan/urbanpicassostudios
« Reply #188 on: April 11, 2013, 04:24:21 am »

The DP2M needed a bit of positive exposure compensation - +.3 to +.7   I am finding just the opposite on the DP3M, these shots seem to come out of the camera overexposed.   Is anyone else experiencing the same and if yes, how are you compensating for it?

I am more often than not at -.3.
db

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #189 on: April 11, 2013, 06:48:35 pm »

I'm actually printing some photos out of the DP3m ...  ;D alala this is soooo good  !!!

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #190 on: April 12, 2013, 04:27:58 am »

Ok ... the shoot above was done with a phone. Have a look closer and do not forget it is a print of a crop of the original frame, without any sharpness optimisation !

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #191 on: April 12, 2013, 05:38:10 pm »

Excellent, Hulyss!
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #192 on: April 12, 2013, 07:56:55 pm »

Excellent, Hulyss!

Thank you Quentin :) Photo with foveon can be excellent but video ... this is an another story  ;D

Brought the son of a friend for his first time in a Z4 SDrive 35i and, of course, I gift him a DP1s to film it. I think he enjoyed the sensations, but I'm sure you trust me when I say that video is crap ;)

http://youtu.be/e48glINztwc

nandadevieast

« Reply #193 on: April 13, 2013, 06:29:00 am »

Hi,
This could have been another thread, but it concerns DP3M primarily, so i'm posting it here:

I own a DP2M and have set my eyes on a DP3M as well. But before i go for it, i think it will be prudent to find out about various third party viewfinders available in the market. Because this one is 75mm, i am afraid it will find scarce use despite its niceties...reason being the lack of a viewfinder....i don't know how to compose a short tele off a LCD screen without running a huge risk of camera shake.

Also Mr. Bowman's review report and pictures tell me this is a great studio camera, leaf shutter, tripod, table top etc...but i'm concerned with using it outdoors primarily....

These are some of the VFs i have been told about.
a) Voigtlander 75mm: this one is plain vanilla like Sigma's own VFs for DP2M and DP1M...no focus confirmation...blind date. Here's the link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/191963-REG/Voigtlander_45DA414B_Viewfinder_for_75mm_Silver.html

b) Xtend a view:
http://www.photosolve.com/main/product/xtendaview/index.html

c) Carry speed:
http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15872-carry-speed-vf-3-viewfinder-and-sunshade/

d) Hoodman's hoodloupe:
http://www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1017

e) Clear Viewer:
http://www.clearviewer.com/Products.html

For DP2M and DP2M, one can use Sigma and VL's optical VFs. But its the DP3M which needs a VF more than others...and Sigma doesn't sell any VF with the DP3M.

What i want to know is: Do you guys have any experience with these, on any other camera also, and your experience about these.

From b) to e): They all say that they provide sort of sun shade in bright light outdoors...but what i am looking for is stability handheld...do they also provide stability like your good old OVF in DSLRs?
Another thing is: Do they show you the full scene? Or they essentially magnify only a part of it so that you can only manually focus?

Any inputs will help,
nandadevieast

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #194 on: April 13, 2013, 12:17:31 pm »

I love the Voigtlander 75mm VF on my DP3M.  It not only works, it looks great!  Brightlines mark the full image area, with dotted lines to compensate for parallax if you are rather close.  I don't even look down at the lcd screen any more, except to check my aperture setting, and make sure I haven't inadvertently registered an exposure compensation (the one thing I don't like about the DP2M and DP3M).  Those little left-and-right buttons, around the "OK" center-circle spot, will engage exposure compensation, often without your realizing you've hit them.  I know that my autofocus spot is in the center of the field, so when looking through the VF, I usually feel confident about what the camera is focusing on, and look out of the corner of my eye to the right for the green autofocus confirmation.  I"m typically doing landscape, and am usually looking for an infinity focus anyway, so my focus point isn't as critical as it would be in many other applications.  You can forget about any manual focusing using the VF.  There is no connection with anything going on inside the camera.  It just gives you the framelines for your shot.  Have fun choosing.  --Barbara

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #195 on: April 14, 2013, 06:51:14 am »

I think that both VF and without VF work great on many situations. Mr Palpman, contributor of the DP2m thread, came on one of my workshop. As many, he do not use any VF and, even in bright sun, composing picture is extremely easy. Just need to learn (this is the correct word) how to use the screen efficiently. For me, the DP3m do not need any VF, if you are enough steady. Pictures above done by a DP3m during my workshop.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #196 on: April 14, 2013, 06:42:31 pm »

It's a different style of image. The pictures look nice, but not "realistic", no more than the images from my Nikon D1x looked realistic a dozen years ago ...

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

stevew50

« Reply #197 on: April 14, 2013, 09:24:59 pm »

I had the same problem when I received my DP2M already having a DP1M.

The trick is to set one camera as srgb the other at Prophoto. The file naming structure is different in each color mode. I only work from Raw so I pick Prophoto for saving files.

I am also finding that both cameras are using the same filename convention.   This is wrecking havoc on my storage as I've overwritten some old files before I realized what was happening.   How can I change the file name on one of the cameras so as to avoid this problem?

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #198 on: April 15, 2013, 02:12:23 pm »

gmanth

« Reply #199 on: April 15, 2013, 02:48:49 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23   Go Up