Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP3 Merrill Experiences  (Read 280227 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Sigma DP3 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #140 on: March 22, 2013, 05:23:52 pm »

... This is just sad that all is monetised today.

As opposed to yesterday (and the last couple of millennia), when writers and other artists never got to work for money ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 05:37:55 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #141 on: March 22, 2013, 05:44:14 pm »

As opposed to yesterday (and the last couple of millennia), when writers and other artist never got to work for money ;)

Well, I do that a lot, I'm forced by my inner nature. I work for free for students, I cut my prices for other artists, because this is rude. It maybe depend in what sphere we evolute. In the actual sphere around me, money is kinda rare thing. If one day I earn more out of my work/relations, I will never forget where I come from (I hope).
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2013, 06:10:51 pm »

Loyd Chamber:

I have not yet observed a color difference among the DP Merrill cameras, and I have all three of them. If I were to make such a claim, I would back it up with evidence as a matter of professionalism.

When I said that DP2 exhibits lousy, sickish, puke-ish, yellow-greenish tint, somebody called me a troll. Then I went back through the long DP2 thread and found a post (page 11, post #207) from a guy who had both, DP1 and DP2, and who also noticed the difference, with DP1 looking more natural. Also, check page 44, post #875 for horrific skin color (in the upper left corner).

Now we have another claim (Hulyss):

The DP3 Merrill's colors are more accurate (by far)

Which, by inference, means DP2 colors were not that accurate after all.

I think the jury is still out as to Sigma colors. I would expect Mr. Chambers to also back his claim by posting three identical images by the Merrill trio, "as a matter of professionalism."

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 08:12:05 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2013, 07:48:32 pm »

I called you troll ??  8)  ;D

Yes the DP2m is hard with skins. Merrill sensor was hard with skin but the DP3m changed the game. I do have examples and can compare but this is not my role and this my wife, in example. She is not a test target for the mass.

Only the future and the users will prove what I see and what I say about this "color enhancement" and I'm pretty comfortable with my claims.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2013, 01:05:50 am »

An interesting conundrum in fashion photography is that women are often the designers and models, and they are often the art directors and editors, however the photographers are mostly men. And statistically men tend to have much less discernment of colors than young women.

On the matter of color of any of the DP series, I would as a color consultant do the same thing as I would do for any other significant color issue - have a young woman check my judgement :)

Edmund

If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Rob C

« Reply #145 on: March 23, 2013, 04:47:58 am »

An interesting conundrum in fashion photography is that women are often the designers and models, and they are often the art directors and editors, however the photographers are mostly men. And statistically men tend to have much less discernment of colors than young women.

On the matter of color of any of the DP series, I would as a color consultant do the same thing as I would do for any other significant color issue - have a young woman check my judgement :)

Edmund

Absolutely. My wife's sense of colour was far better than mine, though being human she did ask me for a confirming opinion now and again. I think that's something borne out in everyday life.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #146 on: March 23, 2013, 04:52:54 am »

I called you troll ??  8)  ;D

Yes the DP2m is hard with skins. Merrill sensor was hard with skin but the DP3m changed the game. I do have examples and can compare but this is not my role and this my wife, in example. She is not a test target for the mass.

Only the future and the users will prove what I see and what I say about this "color enhancement" and I'm pretty comfortable with my claims.

a.  Lucky man

b.  you can hardly use her to illustrate your work, but claim papal dispensation at the same time;

c.  yes, the skin tones and shadows are not flattering of a good-looking woman.

;-)

Rob C

palpman

« Reply #147 on: March 23, 2013, 05:31:58 am »

I took a self-portrait once with my DP2M to see what the fuss is all about. I was wondering if my skin was actually disgusting or if the camera enhances the imperfections...

That said, I'm getting more and more convinced and interested by this DP3M.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #148 on: March 23, 2013, 08:33:01 am »

a.  Lucky man

b.  you can hardly use her to illustrate your work, but claim papal dispensation at the same time;

c.  yes, the skin tones and shadows are not flattering of a good-looking woman.

;-)

Rob C

Ho this one isn't my wife :) This is a student I crossed in the street. My wife is here :

This was done with the ancestor of the DP2m, the DP2s :)

As you can see she do not agree with the fact many cute women roam around me :p

It drove me to make this anxious animation with this visual. Women are always a strange territory to explore and I think a man need more than one life to understand them (If he can at all).

http://youtu.be/T-2Ei0elGyY

gmanth

« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2013, 12:08:27 pm »

with wa converter Raynox DCR-6600

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 12:11:29 pm by gmanth »

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2013, 01:23:12 pm »

I don't think that the Sigma DPxM line would be my cameras of choice for fashion photography, but the gritty analytical end results can be good news for some people shots, where you want to see every nook and cranny.
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2013, 09:20:31 am »

I don't think that the Sigma DPxM line would be my cameras of choice for fashion photography, but the gritty analytical end results can be good news for some people shots, where you want to see every nook and cranny.

Quentin,

Did I hear you say "The ideal camera for dermatological records" ?
 I would protest that, the color of the blemish is very important to doctors.

Edmund

PS. See, even an old Troll can learn new tricks :)
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Rob C

« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2013, 10:18:19 am »

Quentin,

Did I hear you say "The ideal camera for dermatological records" ?
 I would protest that, the color of the blemish is very important to doctors.

Edmund

PS. See, even an old Troll can learn new tricks :)

That would also rule it out for some industrial needs: jet engine flame tubes are very colour-dependent for analytical purposes. Oddly, I enjoyed flying when young, but now I've had time to think...

Rob C

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2013, 04:04:11 pm »

I took a self-portrait once with my DP2M to see what the fuss is all about. I was wondering if my skin was actually disgusting or if the camera enhances the imperfections...

That said, I'm getting more and more convinced and interested by this DP3M.

The Dp3m is an another beast. Can't be used as we use the DP2m, need a little learning curve too. He does not have the same character.

Lots of beautiful photos !!

As I said ... lot of gorgeous photos :)

That would also rule it out for some industrial needs: jet engine flame tubes are very colour-dependent for analytical purposes. Oddly, I enjoyed flying when young, but now I've had time to think...

Rob C

Ok ... Now the DPxms are compared to spectra-photometers !!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:13:30 pm by Hulyss »

Rob C

« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2013, 06:10:16 pm »

The Dp3m is an another beast. Can't be used as we use the DP2m, need a little learning curve too. He does not have the same character.

As I said ... lot of gorgeous photos :)

Ok ... Now the DPxms are compared to spectra-photometers !!  ;D

Nope; in my case, 4x5 Ektachrome and Schneider glass, and my own sweet processing and printing skills.

In the case of black/white, broken turbine blades reproduced well in that medium, but printing still had to be spot-on, matching metal grey to print.

;-)

Rob C

uvl

• My flickr
« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2013, 07:30:01 am »

Now we have a Sigma Merrill cashback here in Germany: http://www.sigma-foto.de/cashback.html

joni

« Reply #156 on: March 27, 2013, 11:25:27 am »

Hi friends;

I'd like to know how it behaves this DP3m to infinity focus for landscape and urban shoots.
Do you have any test ??

Thanks and best,
Joni.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #157 on: March 28, 2013, 04:40:34 am »

Hello joni,

It work very well if you set up you focus limiter from 2 meters to infinity. Then, the focus is very quick and, for now, I do not have many focus waste with this technique.

joni

« Reply #158 on: March 28, 2013, 07:00:22 am »

Hi all and thanks Hulyss;

I don't mean to the performance of the autofocus because I usually shoot in manual mode.
I'm referring to the focus performance at infinity when you use hyperfocal distance.
Is this camera sharp enough ??

Thanks and best,
Joni.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #159 on: March 28, 2013, 07:23:48 am »

Hi all and thanks Hulyss;

I don't mean to the performance of the autofocus because I usually shoot in manual mode.
I'm referring to the focus performance at infinity when you use hyperfocal distance.
Is this camera sharp enough ??

Thanks and best,
Joni.

Yes it is :) Do not worry about sharpness and DP :)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23   Go Up