Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP3 Merrill Experiences  (Read 279562 times)

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
Re: Sigma DP3 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 07:14:25 am »

Hello,

I know for sure that filter diameter will be 52 mm, the same diameter as the Nikon 50 f1.4 AFS-G :)

(Just for the one who wanted to know).

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:59:13 pm by Hulyss »
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

thierrylegros396

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 11:23:33 am »

Hello,

I know for sure that filter diameter will be 52 mm, the same diameter as the Nikon 50 f.14   :)

(Just for the one who wanted to know).

What an amazing high speed lens :D :D :D

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 03:59:39 pm »

What an amazing high speed lens :D :D :D

My bad  :D Edited my post :)

SangRaal

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 07:41:12 pm »

I wonder how the foveon sensor would deal with a Singh Ray blue and gold polarizer I just happen to have one in 52mm

francois

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 06:28:39 am »

I wonder how the foveon sensor would deal with a Singh Ray blue and gold polarizer I just happen to have one in 52mm

I don't know the answer but I remember that I user the Singh Ray B/G polarizer with a film camera back then. Sometimes, the results were interesting!
Francois

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 06:17:25 pm »

First look and basic info from andorama HERE

So since this night, I'm sure having the DP3 Merrill (you can't imagine how I'm happy). Hope there will be no delay for the delivery (DP2m got some if you remember). So, start of February, I will display an unboxing and some random test photos.

robertboynton

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 02:59:49 pm »

I am also excited by the DP3 Merrill and will be looking forward to your review and sample shots!

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 05:58:32 am »

I am also excited by the DP3 Merrill and will be looking forward to your review and sample shots!

I'm also excited. I might say that THIS very Merrill will have a real place in studio (in landscape/nature photography too). Now I just need to wait start of February, probably around the 10th. I loved the DP2 Merrill but I'm a long focal guy : 50 mm is a wide angle in my world.

I find that a bit strange there is no more sample shoot available yet, for a camera who might pop up in 10 days.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 04:04:28 am »

Here is the 4 actuals JPEG displayed out of the DP3m, cleaner. Note that the photographer is not anyone : It is Tomio Seike ! (I love Tomio's work).

mi-fu

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 04:14:17 am »

thanks Hulyss!!

looking forward to some full size samples soon  :D

kgelner

Some experiences from trying it at the booth
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 04:06:44 pm »

I had a chance to play with the DP-3M at CES.  One thing of note if anyone has used the other DP-M cameras is that the focus ring is much easier to work with on the DP-3M - on the 1M & 2M cameras, the focus ring is close to the body and so you have to reach a bit for it.  On the 3M the the focus ring is really wide, making it quite easy to adjust.

There's also a continuous autofocus mode, which the other DP cameras do not have (might come to the other cameras in a firmware update?).

Also as the 3M supports a closer range of focus, the degree of change in focus adjustment slows down as you get closer - making manual adjustments to close subjects very precise.

The whole DP-M series will be getting a real boost with the Monochrome conversion when that comes to SPP.  The B&W prints around the booth were fantastic, and it seems to make shooting a much higher ISO practical.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
Re: Some experiences from trying it at the booth
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 07:33:59 pm »

I had a chance to play with the DP-3M at CES.  One thing of note if anyone has used the other DP-M cameras is that the focus ring is much easier to work with on the DP-3M - on the 1M & 2M cameras, the focus ring is close to the body and so you have to reach a bit for it.  On the 3M the the focus ring is really wide, making it quite easy to adjust.

There's also a continuous autofocus mode, which the other DP cameras do not have (might come to the other cameras in a firmware update?).

Also as the 3M supports a closer range of focus, the degree of change in focus adjustment slows down as you get closer - making manual adjustments to close subjects very precise.

The whole DP-M series will be getting a real boost with the Monochrome conversion when that comes to SPP.  The B&W prints around the booth were fantastic, and it seems to make shooting a much higher ISO practical.

Now it is hard to wait !! I did the good choice. The DP2m is good. The DP3m is even better ;)

simonstucki

Re: Some experiences from trying it at the booth
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 07:06:36 am »

now that is a great idea, do you know if any other cameras/lenses do this? That makes so much sense (so much that I think focus by wire might some day be much more comfortable to use than direct mechanical focus). (would be cool if the new sigma mirrorless lenses that will hopefully soon be announced also did this, maybe even user adjustable)

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2013, 07:40:38 am »

now that is a great idea, do you know if any other cameras/lenses do this? That makes so much sense (so much that I think focus by wire might some day be much more comfortable to use than direct mechanical focus). (would be cool if the new sigma mirrorless lenses that will hopefully soon be announced also did this, maybe even user adjustable)

It would be cool yes. As a Zeiss glass user, I might say that "focus by wire" have some road to do before getting even close to real smooth and precise mechanical focus (like Zeiss or old AIS Nikkor Lenses).

So yes, it can be more precise when coupled with scale in live view (like the DPs) but mechanical focus isn't just about precision, it is also about feeling and coupling. So, lens manufacturers should work on focus ring feeling coupled with the electrical rotor. AT the end, focus by wire might be the future, as well; I think it is really possible.

And, for the mirror-less branch of SIGMA lens, I'm not sure they will provide docking support as they do for DSLR lens, at all.

simonstucki

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2013, 07:49:14 am »

It would be cool yes. As a Zeiss glass user, I might say that "focus by wire" have some road to do before getting even close to real smooth and precise mechanical focus (like Zeiss or old AIS Nikkor Lenses).

So yes, it can be more precise when coupled with scale in live view (like the DPs) but mechanical focus isn't just about precision, it is also about feeling and coupling. So, lens manufacturers should work on focus ring feeling coupled with the electrical rotor. AT the end, focus by wire might be the future, as well; I think it is really possible.

And, for the mirror-less branch of SIGMA lens, I'm not sure they will provide docking support as they do for DSLR lens, at all.

I fully agree about the focus by wire, it really doesn't feel coupled right now but I think that problem could be solved. (I just started a thread about focus by wire). and as far as the sigma mirrorless lenses go, I hope your wrong :)

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2013, 03:46:11 am »

Here we go my friends :)

http://www.sigma-dp.com/DP3Merrill/

Full size Sample here :

http://www.sigma-dp.com/DP3Merrill/samplephoto.html

There is a load of sample and they blow my mind away. What a camera !

Ho, and don't forget those shoots was made with prototype unit and firmware back in November; production unit might have some little glitch sorted.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 05:57:02 am by Hulyss »

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2013, 06:39:18 am »

Now we can compare the MTF curves of the two lenses : DP2m and DP3m

Note that the measures are done wide open at F2.8

First, the SIGMA DP2 Merrill lens, the famous 30mm f2.8 LS :

Second, the SIGMA DP3 Merrill lens, the "close to be famous" 50mm f2.8 LS :

Look like the DP3m lens is not as "sharp" (this is very subjective) as the DP2m lens, but better across the frame.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 06:42:42 am by Hulyss »

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2013, 07:03:29 am »

Also, maybe a good new for the ones who want a DP (or a SD) at a lower price :

I found that on the Japanese site of SIGMA :

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/new/new_topic.php?id=481

Roughly, this is a cash-back program for all ppl who buy a DP or SD between the 22th February and the 2nd of June.

The amount of this cash-back in Japan seems to be 30.000 Yens (approx 330 US$/245€) for the DP Merrils and 50.000 Yens (approx 550US$/410€) for the SD1 Merrill.

The launch date of the DP3 Merrill is officially the 22 of February as well as the complete detail of this cash-back.

If it go outside Japan borders and if the numbers are, in fact, Yens, this is Christmas before Christmas   :)

Greg D

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2013, 08:57:00 am »

So what am I missing  here?  Why 3 different cameras?  Why not interchangeable lenses? 

kgelner

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2013, 12:31:44 pm »

So what am I missing  here?  Why 3 different cameras?  Why not interchangeable lenses? 

The DP series is about doing the best job possible matching the smallest lens and largest sensor in one compact body.  In a lot of cases carrying a DP camera is less bulk and weight than carrying a lens with the same FOV on another camera.

The sensor is is 1.5x crop factor, so you couldn't make an m4/3 body with the same sensor.  Using a full-size 35mm lens mount would mean a larger body. 

Also it means no dust concerns in the camera, and carrying more than one of them gives you a spare body if something goes wrong.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23   Go Up