Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP3 Merrill Experiences  (Read 280261 times)

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
Re: Sigma DP3 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #200 on: April 15, 2013, 03:25:44 pm »

More girls gmanth !!!!  ;D

Some random shots from today :

Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

gmanth

« Reply #201 on: April 16, 2013, 03:36:02 am »

Edit by PS

MrSmith

« Reply #202 on: April 16, 2013, 03:52:44 am »

I don't know what is going on with the processing/jpeg conversion but you are getting some strong posterisation in the model images. :-\
Unless its my iPad screen?

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #203 on: April 16, 2013, 04:04:33 am »

I don't know what is going on with the processing/jpeg conversion but you are getting some strong posterisation in the model images. :-\
Unless its my iPad screen?

No this is right.

Gmanth, you seems to have problem when editing your model shoots (all). If you need some help, just ask questions here and I think we will be many to answer you.

So... next girl should be correctly edited !!  ;) ;D

(or captured ... it can also be a problem of exposure on stage).
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

gmanth

« Reply #204 on: April 16, 2013, 04:19:31 am »

Because this pic is over exposure on stage. :P
And this is ok exposure no edit by ps. ;D

Scho

• http://photos.schophoto.com/
« Reply #205 on: April 16, 2013, 09:12:13 am »

I call this rig my "GigaSig".  The Sigma DP3M mounted on a GigaPan Epic 100 robotic panorama head.  Easy setup and works very well.  Sample pano below was stitched from 12 frames using AutoPano Pro 3 (highly recommended).

Click for larger (quarter of original) image.

FULL SIZE PANO (about 80 mb)

gmanth

« Reply #206 on: April 16, 2013, 12:12:26 pm »

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #207 on: April 16, 2013, 12:41:46 pm »

I call this rig my "GigaSig".  The Sigma DP3M mounted on a GigaPan Epic 100 robotic panorama head.  Easy setup and works very well.  Sample pano below was stitched from 12 frames using AutoPano Pro 3 (highly recommended).

This is very impressive.  I thought Gigapan was useful only with their software and was intended for a large number of stitched images.   You're using it with 12 shots....is this just gear overkill or does it serve a useful purpose for the less than 20 shot stitch?
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

Scho

« Reply #208 on: April 16, 2013, 09:55:49 pm »

This is very impressive.  I thought Gigapan was useful only with their software and was intended for a large number of stitched images.   You're using it with 12 shots....is this just gear overkill or does it serve a useful purpose for the less than 20 shot stitch?
The software supplied by Gigapan was quite basic and prone to crashing frequently on my Mac so I switched to AutoPano Pro which is really excellent.  This sample pano was one of my first trials using the GigaPan with the Sigma DP3M.  I will be doing larger panos soon where the automation and precision will be quite beneficial.  Its is also fun to use. ;D

janus

« Reply #209 on: April 17, 2013, 09:01:25 am »

Would the Epic base model be enough with a Sigma DP-M?

Can the buffer keep up with your Epic's shooting speed?
You shoot RAW b.t.w.? At full res?

How well does your software take care of blending issues at the edges of the frames? I have this slight problem with panos shot with a DP2M using a rotating head on my tripod.

thanks!

Scho

« Reply #210 on: April 17, 2013, 10:55:40 am »

Would the Epic base model be enough with a Sigma DP-M?

Can the buffer keep up with your Epic's shooting speed?
You shoot RAW b.t.w.? At full res?

How well does your software take care of blending issues at the edges of the frames? I have this slight problem with panos shot with a DP2M using a rotating head on my tripod.

thanks!

I'm not sure if the basic Epic is OK for the DPxM.  I asked which model to purchase and was told Epic 100 for the Sigma DPxMs.  The Epic 100 will also work with my Leica M9.  There is a timing setting that needs to be adjusted for the camera processing speed (extremely slow with the DPxMs).  I had mine  set initially for 12 seconds but had some overrun problems but now at 16 seconds per frame I haven't run into any problems yet.  Yes, I shoot raw at full res.  I haven't seen any blending issues with AutoPano Pro.

abeofRD

« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2013, 11:26:43 am »

I'm not sure if the basic Epic is OK for the DPxM.  I asked which model to purchase and was told Epic 100 for the Sigma DPxMs.  The Epic 100 will also work with my Leica M9.  There is a timing setting that needs to be adjusted for the camera processing speed (extremely slow with the DPxMs).  I had mine  set initially for 12 seconds but had some overrun problems but now at 16 seconds per frame I haven't run into any problems yet.  Yes, I shoot raw at full res.  I haven't seen any blending issues with AutoPano Pro.

Hi,
Looks to be an excellent compliment to the Merrill's, to get extreme high resolution plus the pixel sharpness of the Merrill's should be able to reproduce very large prints.

I am in the middle of researching which pano system to purchase RRS or Nodal Ninja in order to do stitching, panos to print very high resolution files and I bumped into your post, your panos looks impressively sharp.

An automated system might be an overkill for 2-4 stitched images but the Epic 100 is cheaper than RRS or NN.

Can you elaborate more on your workflow/setup.

Thank you

Abe

Scho

« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2013, 12:57:06 pm »

Hi,
Looks to be an excellent compliment to the Merrill's, to get extreme high resolution plus the pixel sharpness of the Merrill's should be able to reproduce very large prints.

I am in the middle of researching which pano system to purchase RRS or Nodal Ninja in order to do stitching, panos to print very high resolution files and I bumped into your post, your panos looks impressively sharp.

An automated system might be an overkill for 2-4 stitched images but the Epic 100 is cheaper than RRS or NN.

Can you elaborate more on your workflow/setup.

Thank you

Abe

Hi Abe,

I don't think that I would need anything more than a tripod for only 3-4 shots, but if you want to make very large prints at high resolution then the gigapan might be worth looking at.  Set-up is easy and if you are only using one camera with the epic 100 then it is a one time thing for set-up/calibration.  Instructions are here.  When I start a new pano just mount the epic 100 on a sturdy tripod and level the device with camera mounted on the unit.  Check camera alignment when attaching.  Turn on camera, set fixed ISO, WB, exposure, and focus.  If you are using a very slow shutter speed you could also set the 2 sec selftimer for shutter release.  If you do make sure that your preset processing time in the epic 100 is adjusted to account for this.  Turn on the epic 100, and when "New Panorama" appears on screen press OK, go through the checklist that pops up, using the directional arrow buttons direct the camera to the scene area that you want as the upper left corner of your pano (using LCD live view), next do the same for lower right corner, you will see info on pano dimensions and number of shots, press OK and let the epic 100 do its' thing.  After a shoot I just dump the sd card files to a folder on my computer, batch them through SPP with preset WB, color mode, etc. and output 16 bit tifs to another folder.  Open AutoPano Pro, point it to the output folder, it will find and organize all of your pano files (can be for just one or several panos), present previews for each pano, and then you have the option to either edit or render the panos for your desired output.  Quick, easy, and good quality.

Have fun,
Carl

abeofRD

« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2013, 01:14:39 pm »

Hi Abe,

I don't think that I would need anything more than a tripod for only 3-4 shots, but if you want to make very large prints at high resolution then the gigapan might be worth looking at.  Set-up is easy and if you are only using one camera with the epic 100 then it is a one time thing for set-up/calibration.  Instructions are here.  When I start a new pano just mount the epic 100 on a sturdy tripod and level the device with camera mounted on the unit.  Check camera alignment when attaching.  Turn on camera, set fixed ISO, WB, exposure, and focus.  If you are using a very slow shutter speed you could also set the 2 sec selftimer for shutter release.  If you do make sure that your preset processing time in the epic 100 is adjusted to account for this.  Turn on the epic 100, and when "New Panorama" appears on screen press OK, go through the checklist that pops up, using the directional arrow buttons direct the camera to the scene area that you want as the upper left corner of your pano (using LCD live view), next do the same for lower right corner, you will see info on pano dimensions and number of shots, press OK and let the epic 100 do its' thing.  After a shoot I just dump the sd card files to a folder on my computer, batch them through SPP with preset WB, color mode, etc. and output 16 bit tifs to another folder.  Open AutoPano Pro, point it to the output folder, it will find and organize all of your pano files (can be for just one or several panos), present previews for each pano, and then you have the option to either edit or render the panos for your desired output.  Quick, easy, and good quality.

Have fun,
Carl

Thank you Carl

How do you mount the Epic 100 on the tripod? Does it have a plate? I have a RRS Ballhead with a gitso tripod, also can you mount the camera vertical?

Thanks again
Abe

K.C.

« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2013, 02:01:46 pm »

The GP system is easy to use and I'm sure you'll produce good results. It would be hard not to with a DPM.

But if you ever want to use anything much larger, i.e. a DSLR or NEX with a longer / heavier lens, you'll find the RRS or NN can handle much more than the GP.

I've shot with both and sold the GP. I find the RRS is easy to use, considerably faster to use, a heck of lot lighter and smaller to carry and it will work with any camera.

Scho

« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2013, 03:00:03 pm »

Thank you Carl

How do you mount the Epic 100 on the tripod? Does it have a plate? I have a RRS Ballhead with a gitso tripod, also can you mount the camera vertical?

Thanks again
Abe

I also use a RRS bullhead and just attach a small flat RRS camera plate to the epic for mounting.  No you cannot mount vertically and no need to do that.  The epic shoots multi rows and columns to cover your pano area.

abeofRD

« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2013, 10:49:19 pm »

I also use a RRS bullhead and just attach a small flat RRS camera plate to the epic for mounting.  No you cannot mount vertically and no need to do that.  The epic shoots multi rows and columns to cover your pano area.

Thank you

What small flat RRS plates are compatible with the Merrill's?

Scho

« Reply #217 on: April 19, 2013, 07:59:58 am »

Thank you

What small flat RRS plates are compatible with the Merrill's?

The plate attaches to the Epic 100, not the camera.  I have a RRS L plate for the DP3M, but take it off when using the camera on the Epic 100.  This B35 Plate will work OK for the Epic 100.

NancyP

Panorama talk
« Reply #218 on: April 19, 2013, 01:51:46 pm »

Hey this is pretty interesting for  a pano newbie.
RRS user(s): why is it faster and easier to do a large panorama with RRS freehand rotation equipment vs EPIC or a Nodal Ninja - Fanotec rotator with detents? (eg, a deluxe RD16, with 16 angle interval detent options 3.75% to 120% available without having to swap out detent rings)

Currently I am attempting single-row pano with manual rotation of the ball head base (yes, rotator would be handier, but I am not sinking money into it until I learn the software - Hugin - and manage to produce OK single row panos of some local scenery).

Epic/Epic100 looks pretty simple, but may be heavier than other options. I note that RRS has a replacement bracket with central Arca-Swiss-like clamp for GigaPan products, allowing more precise No Parallax Point placement.

Scho

Re: Panorama talk
« Reply #219 on: April 19, 2013, 03:23:02 pm »

Hey this is pretty interesting for  a pano newbie.
RRS user(s): why is it faster and easier to do a large panorama with RRS freehand rotation equipment vs EPIC or a Nodal Ninja - Fanotec rotator with detents? (eg, a deluxe RD16, with 16 angle interval detent options 3.75% to 120% available without having to swap out detent rings)

Currently I am attempting single-row pano with manual rotation of the ball head base (yes, rotator would be handier, but I am not sinking money into it until I learn the software - Hugin - and manage to produce OK single row panos of some local scenery).

Epic/Epic100 looks pretty simple, but may be heavier than other options. I note that RRS has a replacement bracket with central Arca-Swiss-like clamp for GigaPan products, allowing more precise No Parallax Point placement.

The Epic 100 is bulky, but not that heavy.  I carry it with the Sigma mounted and ready to go in a Crumpler bag, with extra batteries for both the camera and Epic.  Here is a 16 shot 4x4 pano I did this morning with the DP3M and Epic 100.  Flawless operation and very high precision.  I don't think I would want to be doing multi row and column panos manually.

FULL SIZE Pano dropbox file
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23   Go Up